Will the Apple Cube run Windows XP?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to buy a computer for my girfriend..She absolutely doesnt care for the specs and anything..she needs only internet and office XP..and also that the box should be as small as possible.. and estetically nice

..She wont learn macOS..and wont use it because Macoffice does not have Slovakian proofing tools..so its unusable for her.

The cube is is nice ....she would like it fo sure ..but the question is clear - will it run XP? If yes ..how fast is it?

Thank you..

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The only way you are going to be happy running XP on it is if you figure out how to stick an Intel based motherboard in it. As it comes, it has the PowerPC processor which cannot run XP without virtualization which is going to be very slow. There may be vendor selling some kind of Intel upgrade kit for the Cube but I doubt it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krisiacik View Post

I want to buy a computer for my girfriend..She absolutely doesnt care for the specs and anything..she needs only internet and office XP..and also that the box should be as small as possible.. and estetically nice

..She wont learn macOS..and wont use it because Macoffice does not have Slovakian proofing tools..so its unusable for her.

The cube is is nice ....she would like it fo sure ..but the question is clear - will it run XP? If yes ..how fast is it?

Thank you..

Chris

http://www.cubeowner.com

tj
  • Reply 3 of 9
    If she has no desire to use OSX why in the world would you get her an Apple computer?????????
  • Reply 4 of 9
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If she has no desire to use OSX why in the world would you get her an Apple computer?????????

Quote:

..and also that the box should be as small as possible.. and estetically nice

Seems like a decent reason. If you want an Apple computer that will run XP, you should probably look for one of the original Intel Minis. You can probably find one on eBay for not too much.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

As it comes, it has the PowerPC processor which cannot run XP without virtualization which is going to be very slow.

You mean emulation. Virtualisation is speedy.

To the O/P:

The Mac Mini is even smaller than the cube, go for an intel one and it'll run Windows at full speed. You can leave OS X on the machine as well - then at least your GF can give it a whirl if ever she feels so inclined.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

... the box should be as small as possible.. and estetically nice

I guess i missed that. But still, form over function???
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Only way you'll be running XP without some insane custom hardware modding is in Virtual PC, and I wouldn't wish Virtual PC upon a person I hated with all my heart and soul. If you're looking for Windows-compatible bang in a small package, why not invest in a Mac Mini?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

Small form factor, reliable computers are hard to find in the PC world. A Mac Mini would be ideal as it's cheap, fast and run XP very quickly indeed.

A cube would be amazing if Apple made one but they are being stubborn about the whole middle of the road desktop Mac. In this case though, a Mini is fine.

I would not recommend the original single processor model though. Dual 1.66 with 1GB Ram.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I guess i missed that. But still, form over function???

Not "over", just "equally important". It's woman's world a completely different set of rules.

For proper care, I need to ensure she will create an emotional attachment to it. What could be better than a Cube (And it's also very cheap nowadays...)

Anyway, thanks for all your help, I somehow forgot about the "processor" problem.

I will consider a Mini.

Chris