Macbook Air vs Macbook

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I envy you.... until mine arrives next week!
  • Reply 102 of 113
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

I envy you.... until mine arrives next week!

I don't have one. It's just a picture from uneasy silence.
  • Reply 103 of 113
    Any other answers for locking up a MBA? Not keen on the alarm as I'll be using it in several national and major university libraries and would probably have my card taken away if it sounded.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    I don't see why Macbook Air vs Macbook is such a hard question.

If one is buying a laptop as one's only machine, that's easy. MacBook. You're getting virtually twice the performance/functionality per buck.

They only situation you should get a MBA is if you benefit from the weight reduction and thickness reduction. So the big group for this are travelers, especially those who do 1/2 day trips a lot, casual home computing, and any others who need easy portability. It's a complimentary machine. So lots of programmers, travelers, and others who can use a secondary machine.

You can use it as a primary and only machine, but I think you have to have a unique set of uses or fit the target exactly to do so.
  • Reply 105 of 113
    From iFixit:

• Reply 106 of 113
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Any other answers for locking up a MBA? Not keen on the alarm as I'll be using it in several national and major university libraries and would probably have my card taken away if it sounded.

So they'd rather tolerate thieves? I can see they might get irate over false alarms but if you actually stopped a theft there should be no issue there.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    One of the reasons you will need the optical drive accessory is if you plan to install Windows on the MBA. I think I read somewhere that you won't be able to use remote disk with bootcamp.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty View Post

One of the reasons you will need the optical drive accessory is if you plan to install Windows on the MBA. I think I read somewhere that you won't be able to use remote disk with bootcamp.

Or you could put an iso image on a usb thumbdrive, provided the thumbdrive fits in the usb slot.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

From iFixit:

Look at the size of that footprint!! It's huuuuge!
  • Reply 110 of 113
    Having shelled out $3K for lesser notebooks over the years, I don't mind the price difference between MacBooks and MBA much. It still looks like a fast machine for the relatively simple tasks of photo processing, playing movies, email, Net surfing, spreadsheets, etc. I think having a larger screen will be nice. My old Powerbook has a smaller screen, is significantly heavier and thicker. I'm moving up to an MBA. I'd like to know how much faster the solid state version is. If cost is a concern, obviously having a marginally faster machine with less storage makes no sense at all. But I like the idea that the machine will respond "instantaneously".
  • Reply 111 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Look at the size of that footprint!! It's huuuuge!

Heh. All things are relative. I'm perfectly fine with the footprint as I don't have a problem using a 15" laptop in economy class. But the thinness? That's great! That's like an extra pair of clothes to expand a 1 to 2 day carry-on bag to 2 to 3 days. The weight and thinness is a precious commondity when you try to travel with just one carry-on that's able to fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment of a regional jet.

And I imagine the weight is great for home portable use on the couch, bedroom, kitchen, etc.
  • Reply 112 of 113
    I'm just making fun of the people who won't buy it because of the huuuuuuge footprint!
  • Reply 113 of 113
    A MB or MBP could look similar with MBA (its going to be thicker but it will still look good) and still maintains it current features.