In desperate need of software that can burn an hour long AIFF into seperate tracks

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
howdy all,

ok i want to convert my own 74 minute DJ mix into a mixed CD.

currently i have a 74 minute AIFF, and i want to split it into individual tracks for each song

ive been using Audacity to chop it into track-sized AIFFs, but it is an incredibly tedious process. And then when i throw the individual files into Toast, they've all got a gap at the end (meaning it's no longer a seamless mix and rendering my mixing useless! grrrrrr... )

are there applications that i can simply place down markers within the original 74min file, and it will burn these to CD as though they were individual tracks (turning a 74 minute, 15 song mix, into a mixed CD with 15 tracks)?

thank you so much if you've read all this, i really need your (plural) expertise

cheers = )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you and my copy of Toast is pretty old but it has "Pause" with an arrow option that allows you to vary the gap between tracks (including making it zero). It defaults to a 2 sec gap.

I thought you could burn gapless in iTunes these days but maybe I've got that wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    you can cut and paste in quicktime pro using the sliders at the bottom.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    QT Pro will work... but you don't get any visual (waveform) to help find stuff... so it can be tedious, as you put it. I don't use GarageBand, but wouldn't that work??
  • Reply 4 of 16
    D'oh! Of course it would.

Forrest. Trees.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

D'oh! Of course it would.

Forrest. Trees.

how would you do it in Garage Band?

an no, it's not to do with the pause option in Toast.

for some dumb reason, when i export the AIFFs from audacity, it gives them all this tiny (and varying!) little gap at the end.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Import the tracks into GB. If there's no white noise and the gaps are nice and clean you could possibly just overlap them by lining them up as separate tracks so they play through without the gaps, create your master track and avoid editing altogether (sorry if that's not very clear).

Otherwise, open the editor in GB by clicking on the scissor button. It's just like any other sound editing SW. Cut out your gaps and join the tracks together. Finish up as above.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

QT Pro will work... but you don't get any visual (waveform) to help find stuff... so it can be tedious, as you put it. I don't use GarageBand, but wouldn't that work??

hmmm, ive got QT Pro. how do you set the track markers? (i know where abouts each track starts and stops anyway, so i dont really need the waveform)

cheers all = )
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiers69 View Post

howdy all,

ok i want to convert my own 74 minute DJ mix into a mixed CD.

currently i have a 74 minute AIFF, and i want to split it into individual tracks for each song

are there applications that i can simply place down markers within the original 74min file, and it will burn these to CD as though they were individual tracks (turning a 74 minute, 15 song mix, into a mixed CD with 15 tracks)?

Toast comes with an app called CD Spin Doctor which does exactly what you want.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Toast comes with an app called CD Spin Doctor which does exactly what you want.

hey you're right

the software seems to do exactly what i want.

only glitch is that once it exports to Toast the music is REALLY distorted.

hmmm, im looking for answers on how to stop the distortion now
  • Reply 10 of 16
    seems Spin Doctor has been wrecked with the latest update:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...0&#entry184332

boooo, how does QT Pro split tracks?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    its possible Spin Doctor 4 still works. hmmmm
  • Reply 12 of 16
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiers69 View Post

its possible Spin Doctor 4 still works. hmmmm

Mine works. It came with Toast 8.03.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    With QT pro, you can "choose" parts of a long track with the sliders at the bottom. You then have to copy/paste into a new QT document and save or export that one to make a separate track. It'll work, but rather tedious, as you mentioned earlier.

A little experimentation will go a long way toward learning what QT Pro can do... but that takes time that could be better spent elsewhere .
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Um...try iTunes...it's free and you probably already have it! Simply get info on the track in iTunes, click to the Options tab, select the start/stop time that you want to save separately, then select "Convert Selection to AIFF" (if AIFF is selected as your format in the Input preferences). Repeat for each part of the track by modifying start/stop times then burn...easy.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Um...try iTunes...it's free and you probably already have it! Simply get info on the track in iTunes, click to the Options tab, select the start/stop time that you want to save separately, then select "Convert Selection to AIFF" (if AIFF is selected as your format in the Input preferences). Repeat for each part of the track by modifying start/stop times then burn...easy.

That'll work.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Neat tip. Thanks.