Microsoft makes $44.6B bid for Yahoo

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    mmm, obviously a bit late to this thread. but " nothing changes until it changes." good grief Charlie Brown!
  • Reply 82 of 101
    I really hate microsoft it has to be said.

That does not make me some 'irrational brainless mac fanboy'.

In-fact I would have to question the intelligence and rationality of someone who has to ask 'why' people hate msft!

Just think of all the man years senselessly wasted thanks to msft leveraging their monopoly over the years.

They disgust me.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

I still dont see why MSFT is so hell bent on squashing Google, they dont really compete... Is just like a psychosis that Microsoft has," regarldess of how much money we lose in the process we're going to kill Google." WHY?????

They are going to FUCKING kill Google.

As we all know...

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
  • Reply 84 of 101
    In other news, this clearly means that Apple is teh doomed and Microsoft is going to buy out Apple and transform all Apple hardware into Vista Ultimate exclusive computers. iPod will be transformed to pure WMV players.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

A Microsoft monopoly did not sound so bad at first either.

there is an old saying that absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely.

There is another saying that goes:

Power corrupts. Powerpoint corrupts absolutely.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    "Microsoft bought yahoo because it has more users than google" (or something along those lines)

I have at least 3 yahoo accounts that I can remember. Guess how many of them I actually use? 0. Ok, 1, and that's only if I sign up at a place that I'm not sure if they'll spam me (but it's still somewhat private so I won't use a public inbox). I've never sent an email from that address. I'm pretty sure a lot of people have similar situations, and if a person stops using an account, I doubt they care enough to delete it.

(2 google accounts btw, and I actively use both of them)
  • Reply 87 of 101
    Yahoo! is the only alternative to Google that I can see. It won't be good if Microsoft bought them over and messed up internet standards even more. It is bad enough coding webpages for IE as it is. Yahoo! webpages in Silverlight anyone?
  • Reply 88 of 101
    MS has destroyed nearly every one of their acquisitions. There were times I remember seeing a new software purchase of theirs and thinking how would they screw it up!

Their home grown products haven't been much better. Compared to Mac,

Windows has mostly been a mess since the beginning. When Windows 95 was

brand new, it seemed promising. Then they had a big mess all the way until they combined everything into XP. Now Vista is a disaster! Server 2003/2008 looks pretty good, but I sure am glad they are cutting off all of the backwards compatibility for Windows 7. Maybe that will allow them to actually create something decent.

I think the .NET platform is a good system. Although I have a lot of experience with open source, C#, WinForms, and ASP.NET are very functional and productive. This is one of Microsofts wins in my opinion.

Office has been a pretty good product, but I believe most people use 1/10 of the features, and it has become very complex and bloated.

Their Windows "Live" system is like a hodgepodge patchwork of mediocre "me-too" services, although some of their "research" looks promising, at least for entertainment value.

All the rest is mostly crap.. I really haven't seen anything new come out that blew me away. The xBox push looks to have had some success at least, and their Zune division at least has gotten some sales.

I really don't want them to buy Yahoo!, as I've had a great experience with y! over the years, and have had my homepage set there since I can remember.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Another reason that this will fail is that windows is the OS for losers, and most competent tech people hate Microsoft. I'm sure that Yahoo will have an exodus of their best and brightest if this happens, including a lot of BSD folks.

Interesting point. I d not thought of that. Dont Yahoo put a lot into FreeBSD - I know they host the project on thier servers, I suspect a lot of their people do development on it too. most of Yahoos servers run on FreeBSD.

Any chance that this is the "real" reason MS wants Yahoo!: to build a BSD version of Windows like Apple did with Mac OS?

Microsoft has to ditch their legacy support at some point. Sure, most businesses still use XP or 2000 (or even earlier versions), and those will be around for a long time, but look at all the bloat in Vista for backward compatibility. Combine the ever growing reliance on cloud aps and a version of MS becoming heavily involved in this (via Yahoo!) and MS might be able to leverage a BSD type incarnation of Windows.

Just throwing it out there as a thought outside the box, obviously Microsoft wants more of the internet pie for the value that brings to them in its own right--irrespective of Windows.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    Don't forget that the merger has to be approved by the competition authorities in the European Union. Mrs Kroes is none too charmed with MS and has a major success against them under her belt. There is also another case under review at the moment. She will undoubtedly put conditions on the merger if she allows it. Have some faith in sanity.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

Don't forget that the merger has to be approved by the competition authorities in the European Union. Mrs Kroes is none too charmed with MS and has a major success against them under her belt. There is also another case under review at the moment. She will undoubtedly put conditions on the merger if she allows it. Have some faith in sanity.

Last time I had some faith in sanity, the subprime debacle fucked up the whole world economy.

• Reply 92 of 101
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

I still dont see why MSFT is so hell bent on squashing Google, they dont really compete.

Is just like a psychosis that Microsoft has," regarldess of how much money we lose in the process we're going to kill Google." WHY?????

Because they are hell bent on beating any company that is king in a market sector that they think they should be # 1 in. The problem I have with Microsoft is that when they seem to be failing in a market, i.e. internet ads/search they buy or bully a company rather than succeed on their own merits.
  • Reply 93 of 101
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Microsoft has one only competitor in a market segment that it has deemed critical and who it is absolutely dominated by. ---> Google.

Microsoft will bring absolutely nothing to Yahoo as far as operational improvements or new technology. In addition I am 100% certain (something which I will rarely say) that there will be absolutely no benefits to the consumer from this acquisition.

Microsoft is threatened by Google in the same way that it believed it was threatened by Netscape. However unlike Netscape Google has had a very successful cash flow model, market cap, and liquid assets.

This $44+ billion hostile takeover bid is a sign of complete desperation to gain some mass in a critical market where Microsoft has been squeezed out like a zit.

Google not only is taking in the lion share of advertising and search revenue, they also control the stream of information of what consumers want and what they are searching for, information Microsoft would die for.

More importantly than that Google is nauseatingly close in Microsoft's Office money machine by being able to offer Online Office and business solutions at a significantly reduced price and with value added web AJAX web tie ins that Office doesn't have. If Microsoft's Office Cash cow dies so does Microsoft.

Yahoo provides the only alternative to Google with a significant user base and web search flow. Microsoft has sunk billions into MSN, their search Yahoo and Google clone and have failed miserably. This hostile take over bid is a rash attempt to hold what little fire line they have in this market.

All Microsoft has to offer is their cash hoards. If this acquisition goes through Microsoft will probably run Yahoo into the ground and make Google that much more relevant and powerful while suffocating all the creative Ideas coming out of Yahoo right now.

• Reply 94 of 101
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Needless to say, I have thousands and thousands of spam emails in my Yahoo account. In my primary gMail account (3 years old now) I rarely receive spam at all.

I set-up a Yahoo account for my daughter. We did not use the address on any "shady" websites. She gets spam after spam. I do not believe Yahoo cares. I do not believe their spam blocker is worth a crap.

Really? Yahoo does an awesome job of filtering out spam for me. I get 1, maybe 2 per month that make it into my inbox instead of the bulk folder.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

There is another saying that goes:

Power corrupts. Powerpoint corrupts absolutely.

Obviously, in response Pages then the next version of PP will be marketed as.... ....Absolute Powerpoint!!
  • Reply 96 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwharff View Post

Just cancelled my.yahoo.com and switched to iGoogle, even though at the current time my.yahoo.com is better. I agree with the others here about Hotmail. I was one of the first to use Hotmail and all went to crap after the M$ acquisition of Hotmail. Hopefully this will empower Google to get off their butts and speed up their development on their services! Yes, a very sad day indeed. We love and will miss you Yahoo, rest in peace.

I'm also transitioning all my e-mail to G-mail. Whoever buys Yahoo! does not matter to me. They are on their last legs.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    Why the heck would Apple waste their money on Yahoo?

Adobe is a better buy, it can actually make some loot for the company!

Imagine Apple Flash, Apple Acrobat, Apple Photoshop

...afterwards Apple could keep those products on Windows platforms and have the Apple name all over the place associated with quality stuff... or Muaaahahahaha, Windows support could be cut off, leaving Windows without many important pieces of software used in modern day computing!

Either way, Apple wins.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Imagine Apple Flash, Apple Acrobat, Apple Photoshop

Horrible!

Apple would be a terrible company to have in such a powerful position.

Then again, almost any company would be. Competition is a brilliant concept our countries work on... pity it's not being enforced!
  • Reply 99 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Horrible!

Apple would be a terrible company to have in such a powerful position.

Then again, almost any company would be. Competition is a brilliant concept our countries work on... pity it's not being enforced!

Actually Adobe is a perfect fit, Just like Final Cut and Logic were. Cringley is predicting it, and he has a 70% historical rate of being accurate.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Actually Adobe is a perfect fit, Just like Final Cut and Logic were.

Ahh, well that's a different issue entirely. I'm talking about competition being good for the industry (and Apple benefiting from having multiple big names being interested in OSX).