Logic 6 !!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.emagic.de/english/news/2003/logic6/index.html"; target="_blank">Cool New features!! </a>

Ahhh I can't wait. Nice update Emapple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    i'm still hoping for iTraks or whatever the hell they would call it.

i don't even know why...

i run DP3 and it's a world class AUDIO MIDI app but i'm all tweaked up about seeing the iApp.

of course i'm really happy about Logic6 and specifically about the support for Tascam US428 control surface.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    bluesigns.

No doubt! With the proliferation of mini USB keyboards for cheap. The typical family would be better off buying one of these and hooking it up to the computer than buy those cheesy keyboards that Yamaha and Casio have been hawking all these years. Besides it gives Apple Audio Unit developers a HUGE potential audience for their wares. Imagine iTraks shipping with EVERY Mac. Millions of instant users for your products. Come'on Apple. Hook us up!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    #1 complaint from all rock head musicians i know regarding computer audio/midi is:

too expensive.

following along at very close 2nd is;

too difficult/confusing.

i'm depressed that they weren't able to release it today. i guess it was too much to ask too soon after the acquisition.

hmm, what's a realistic timeframe ? 6 months?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dalidali Posts: 32member
    A little off topic but..... I used to fairly involved musician in a analog way a lifetime ago....

What do guys think is the best mini USB midi keyboard?

And...

The best, cheapest software to use with it?

(Musically asute - computer asute - but not " asute with midi - computer - software combination)

Thanks!

tom
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Oxygen8 + Reason. They sold Bundles of the two together for $3xx
  • Reply 6 of 14
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Surprised that no one asked the big question - will there be an upgrade fee for Logic 5 users and if so, how much?

Glad I didn't get my 5.0 upgrade yet. Still using 4.8.1.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Kestral:

<strong>Surprised that no one asked the big question - will there be an upgrade fee for Logic 5 users and if so, how much?

Glad I didn't get my 5.0 upgrade yet. Still using 4.8.1.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kestral that's the "million dollar" question. No pricing has been divulged from what I've seen. Maybe SJ is mulling that one over.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    You know what would be great, if they dropped that stupid dongle protection. So many times I left my dongle on my USB hub on my way to band rehearsal and I had to drive back for it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member

<strong>You know what would be great, if they dropped that stupid dongle protection. So many times I left my dongle on my USB hub on my way to band rehearsal and I had to drive back for it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Being a laptop user, I refuse to buy any product that requires hardware copy protection. It just isn't feasible to work on the move when you're trailing a bit of wire sticking out of the USB port.

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Are there any keyboards that you can just plug in with a FireWire cable, no MIDI cable crap?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    is there any product that let's you eliminate the need for MIDI cables and Audio cables and replace them all with a single firwwire cable?

"mLan" technology from Yamaha has promised exactly that:

AUDIO and MIDI over a single firewire cable.

it was to be included on all new devices; keyboards, mixing boards, electronic drums, speakers, entertainment centers, midi guitars, etc.

but they promoted the fact that they had this breakthrough technology and were going to indclude it on everything from a kazoo to a toaster oven and then never delivered product en masse.

to my knowledge there are 3 products in the family of A/D conversion and mixing and one keyboard that are on the market in Japan.

but more might be available now. i had to stop being strung along by the promise of this new magical technology and get on with business at hand.

i wish it were here.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bluesigns...I agree. mLAN shows great promise just look at the nifty Presonus <a href="http://www.presonus.com/html/products/firestation.html"; target="_blank">FIREstation</a>

But the problem seems to be Yamaha. They've never really been the company to push an agenda like is should be. I won't feel totally comfortable until Yamaha gives up control of mLAN to a consortium ala the way Apple did to IEEE for Firewire. This is the only way it will take off. Yamaha doesn't even put mLAN on their own components which tells me it's too expensive right now. That's sad.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member

<strong>Surprised that no one asked the big question - will there be an upgrade fee for Logic 5 users and if so, how much?

Glad I didn't get my 5.0 upgrade yet. Still using 4.8.1.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Upgrade is ~$130
  • Reply 14 of 14
    In reply to the questions about a device that simplifies audio/midi - M-Audio have just upgraded the Oxygen8 to a new product called Ozone that combines a keyboard and a full audio interface over USB. It would be all you need on the road with a laptop and something like Logic. However, note that you will still need that USB key dongle with Logic!