What's wrong with the MacBook Air?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple shipped a few MacBook Air units to its retail stores Friday, leaving the scant supply to mainly serve as in-store demo units. While our SSD model remains on order pending shipment, we managed to snag the one of the few available HDD-based units from one of the company's San Francisco outlets and have set to work on an in-depth review of its ins and outs.

Everyone Can Critique

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position of over those who offer up their work to ourselves and our judgement. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic actually risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends."

Those words of Anton Ego, voiced by Peter O'Toole in Pixar's Ratatouille, well describe the task in reviewing the new MacBook Air. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Steve Jobs had a hand in producing both the movie and the new laptop. While the heavy lifting was done by writers at Pixar and engineers at Apple, both push their audience and the industry to think differently.

Just prior to unveiling the MacBook Pro onstage at Macworld Expo, Jobs coyly highlighted Ratatouille as one of his favorite movies. That's because the rat in Ratatouille secretly was Jobs: the unlikely source of something new who has been delighting patrons and investors alike despite his real identity as an opinionated, reality distorting visionary who talks about his business in terms of art and design and craftsmanship that challenges the market's status quo rather than simply being another straight-laced bean counter promising to deliver more of the same old thing wrapped up in vapor and grandiose buzzwords.

As Ego's monologue noted, it would be easy and fun to negatively critique the new MacBook Air only as missing features of the MacBook Pro; however, the new model isn't just a rebadged Pro with a smaller 13.3" display, some shaved off specifications, and a $200 price cut. It's something entirely new, and asks to be evaluated at such. How well does it achieve what it sets out to deliver? You can help us determine that by sending in your suggestions for critically putting the new Air through its paces.

Avoiding the Plague of Featuritus Vulgaris

My dad taught me that when going out to buy something, I should first make a list of features I actually want, and then only buy those features. That way, I wouldn't be suckered into paying extra for impractical options that sound valuable in the marketing pitch but aren't anything I'd really ever use or need. My overall success in buying things has seemed directly proportional to how well I heeded his advice.

For most people buying a laptop, the essential feature list involves snappy performance, great mobility, and a thoughtful, practical design. However, when you look at the laptops currently on sale, many are layered with other rather impractical features that suddenly sound indispensable once you're aware they exist. A recent must-have addition on many new PC laptops is the fingerprint reader unit used to log in, as well as the assortment of lots of external buttons and switches to manually turn off wireless or to launch applications. These might be used on rare occasions, but their primary function seems to be to add clutter.

Look past the junk features, and many laptops miss the true target. Many lack enough RAM to be useful, supply limited video output features, go without Bluetooth in their base models, and otherwise skimp where they should shine. The MacBook Air is so completely stripped of junk featuritus that many critics are worried it won't appeal to mainstream users, just as they feared the iPod wouldn't appeal to broad audiences because it couldn't play FM radio, or as they feared the iPhone wouldn't be popular because it didn't have a physical slide out keypad.

Instead, all three Apple products aimed at delivering a strong and appealing design to the point where their specification numbers faded into the background. Apple markets its products, not as a list of GHz and GB numbers, but the same way top automakers do: as well built and attractively crafted machines that have enough under the hood so that they just work. Most car buyers are swayed by sexy designs they find appealing or the utilitarian practicality they need rather than the foot pounds of torque the vehicle's engine provides at a given RPM range.

The Air Feature Gap

One thing that pundits of all stripes have been conspicuously silent about when talking about the MacBook Air is its backlit keyboard, which makes it far more appealing to use in dimly lit conditions such as inside an airplane fuselage. It's almost as if Apple made a list of practical features that consumers actually use, and based its engineering decisions upon that, rather than simply assembling the specifications everyone else was shipping in a similarly identical form factor.

As a mobile laptop user, I've always bought an extra battery for every PowerBooks and MacBook Pro I've owned. I even had the weighty option to use two batteries at once in my late 90s PowerBook G3, which could swap out its optical drive for a second battery. The thing is, I've almost never actually used any of those spares. For example, I carried around an extra battery at Macworld, but never had the opportunity or need to swap it despite the scarcity of power outlets on the show floor. Despite that, I probably wouldn't buy a new MacBook Pro that didn't have a replaceable battery.

However, the Air's light weight and slim profile offers significantly more portability than any other laptop Apple has ever offered, a factor that balances out its inability to trade out its battery pack for a spare. Given the new restrictions upon carrying extra batteries on airplanes, Apple's sealed battery decision makes sense for a light mobile laptop. That's not to say that some users will find the MacBook Pro a better fit, particularly if they have needs that require long term, battery-only operation.

The iPod and iPhone were reviled for having a sealed battery, but neither really presents a serious problem for users. The competitive market solved any fears that millions of iPods would be thrown away prematurely because of the relatively high cost of Apple's replacement service. It's easy to find do-it-yourself, higher capacity iPod battery kits for less than $10. The iPod and iPhone also have external battery accessories that allow them to use rechargeable AA or Lithium Polymer battery packs for extended use. If the Air presents any battery issues for users, expect third parties to provide solutions.

Similarly, I've also always paid a premium to have a SuperDrive in every laptop I've bought, despite the fact that in retrospect, I've actually burned less than a dozen DVDs in as many years of being primarily a mobile user. The simple fact is that many of features we think we desperately need in a laptop are not the same as what we'll actually use. That's also a key reason why Apple's product launches generate a hailstorm of pundit angst prior to selling well in the market.

And all those missing ports? Recall that the original iBook launched in 1999 also lacked FireWire, audio input, had a single USB port, and even offered no video output. It was also priced within $200 of the MacBook Air, yet sold well to the consumer market despite its flamboyant use of color and its risk-taking "toilet seat" design. The iBook SE that shipped the following year cost the same price as today's MacBook Air and still didn't offer VGA output or more than one USB port.

When critics say the MacBook Air won't sell in volume, it must be because they haven't witnessed the fawning interest displayed by users upon seeing it in person. In order to maximize that interest, Apple designed a new retail store window display that puts the MacBook Air on a revolving platform in front of a matte background of clouds and behind a gradient plexiglass sheet with the caption "thinovation."

It installed the new installations in place of the former giant iPhone display. The company appears to be unfazed by reports suggesting that it will have a hard time selling enough iPhones this year, and seems confident in its ability to bring ultra mobile laptops into the mainstream in 2008 just as it successfully pushed its high-end, sophisticated smartphone into the mass market last year.

What's on Your Feature List?

As we take the new MacBook Air to task and put it through its paces, we'll look at how well it does in the core requirements of performance, mobility, and design. We'll also evaluate how well its new software features, described in MacBook Air spawns new software solutions for missing hardware, serve as alternatives to built in optical and FireWire hardware.

What would you like to know about the Air? Post your comments or questions and we'll kick its tires for you that much harder in our upcoming in-depth review of the MacBook Air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

What would you like to know about the Air? Post your comments or questions and we'll kick its tires for you that much harder in our upcoming in-depth review of the MacBook Air.

Being a Macbook Pro owner I am interested in the Macbook Air as an ultralight mobile platform. I was looking for the Macbook Air to actually be the Macbook tablet but it did not appear. On the flip side The Macbook Air looks to be a close alternative. There are times when I do not want to go to the hassle of using the MBP due to it being a 17". Boot up times are better since 10.5 and that does not seem as big an issue for me as simply having to get some space to set it down. The Macbook Air looks like one could cradle it in their arm or hand and use the other for typing and mouse movements. I think a touch screen with the same funactionality as the iPhone and iPod touce would have been a nice added option but maybe in time it will appear...
  • Reply 2 of 236
    "Given the new restrictions upon carrying extra batteries on airplanes,..." is an irrelevant comment.

The new restrictions do NOT affect people who want to carry an extra laptop battery.
  • Reply 3 of 236
    A comparison chart of the application speeds between MB, MBA and MBP would be nice.
  • Reply 4 of 236
    Perhaps my brain is a bit slow today, but I am missing the point of this story.

Is it based on the premise that AI readers/posters have not yet had the opportunity or interest to weigh in on "what they would like to know about the Air?"
  • Reply 5 of 236
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Is the screen really glass?

2) How much do the separate components weigh? Specifically the battery and case.
  • Reply 6 of 236
    One of my main use cases for the MBA is to browse and add metadata to photos whilst working in the field, hence the desire for a lightweight and portable laptop. In fact the design of the MBA is ideal as my camera bag has adequate size to take the 13" size, and photo viewing will benefit from the large LED screen, whilst I'm already suffering from carrying around too many camera bodies, lenses, tripod, etc.

I use Aperture on my main machine, and so would like to use Aperture on the laptop as well, and then export Projects onto my Mac Pro when back home. I'm wondering what the performance is like given the integrated graphics? I don't intend to do any image editing, just previewing in fullscreen mode.
  • Reply 7 of 236
    1. How long does the battery last?

2. How easy is it to transfer files/programs from one computer to the "air"?

3. Under normal room temperatures (say an airplane) is the "airs" cpu slowed down after extended use?
  • Reply 8 of 236
    I love MacBook Air. I was hoping for a minimalist laptop, but I want to take it further. It screams for wireless syncing with iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 236
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlanta Rick View Post

I love MacBook Air. I was hoping for a minimalist laptop, but I want to take it further. It screams for wireless syncing with iPhone.

syncing? how about sharing the internet connection?
  • Reply 10 of 236
    Well written article. I applaud the writing. The only limiting factor the MBA is the lack of express card slot, and perhaps the slower processor. Otherwise, that's an awesome platform.

Besides I think it is just an experiment to see if Jobs can get away getting rid of the optical drive. Most people won't miss it. Give it 2 years. No more optical drives. All Software will be on a USB stick. It's too easily done, and waaay too cheap to do. The days of the DVD drive are all but gone. The elimination of the drive is inevitable. Movie Rentals, USB thumbdrives... no more need for the drive.
  • Reply 11 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlanta Rick View Post

I, along with countless others I am sure, have submitted this as a feature request to Apple. Even if you could sync with your laptop via bluetooth, not even the songs, just the info. Or take it one step further. Have the iPhone sync with .mac directly.
  • Reply 12 of 236
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    What I'm very concerned with is the physical durability of the laptop. It's so thin at the opening end I'd be concerned with wear and tear after a few months. How fragile is this thing?
  • Reply 13 of 236
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Sorry - that was an awful analogy to Ratatouille.... Everyone was expecting Jobs to announce something, he wasn't a hidden rat.

But kudos for nice summary of why our expectations should match our needs on the MBA.

I pre-ordered a MBA, and it is shipping, but won't get to me for several days. I think it nicely meets my needs in most ways - that's why I bought one. But I do have some concerns, maybe you can address them.

I live in Japan, and I commute by train about 2-5 hours a day (total), and will use my MBA to give science lectures by PowerPoint, as well as emulate Windows to run some molecular biology software in the lab. I will drag this thing everywhere in a backpack or shoulder bag.

Q1 - Is this thing sturdy? Will it survive being in a padded sleeve in a backpack? If there are some notebooks in the same bag, is it gonna flex the thing's frame? My 12in PB has been very durable in my pack, but I worry about the MBA.

Q2- Will it run Parallels or VM-ware as well as my 1.83 Ghz Core Duo Mini does? ( I ordered the faster MBA processor).

Q3- How well will it work with an LCD projector? Any hiccups?

Q4 - Does that Ethernet Dongle give decent speeds via the USB?

Q5 - Does it get hot or noisy when you run something processor intensive?

Q6 - Is the case too wide to use the MBA while seated on a train?

Thanks!
  • Reply 14 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelesler View Post

I, along with countless others I am sure, have submitted this as a feature request to Apple. Even if you could sync with your laptop via bluetooth, not even the songs, just the info. Or take it one step further. Have the iPhone sync with .mac directly.

It is a small computer afterall. The music and video could sync over wifi.
  • Reply 15 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arhnow View Post

1. How long does the battery last?

2. How easy is it to transfer files/programs from one computer to the "air"?

3. Under normal room temperatures (say an airplane) is the "airs" cpu slowed down after extended use?

Just turn on file sharing. Better still, turn on iDisk Syncing. Weightless computing is the future. MBA is just a portal to your information.
  • Reply 16 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

What I'm very concerned with is the physical durability of the laptop. It's so thin at the opening end I'd be concerned with wear and tear after a few months. How fragile is this thing?

I've read that it's pretty sturdy, but they're on display at the Apple Store. Go check it out.
  • Reply 17 of 236
    Am I the only one lamenting the lack of on-board CD/DVD capability? To me that is a must. And no, I'm not interested in carrying the portable accessory CD/DVD.

- Ability to start up from a disk in case of a crash or hard disk problems

- Ability to easily install apps

- Watch DVDs on those long flights

My question is about wireless reception. Apple hasn't exactly been known for it's stellar wireless reception - expecially on MBPs. How is it on the Air? It's even more critical given that it is the only link from the Air to the outside world.

Why or why couldn't they have made a MBP 12" instead of or in addition to the Air?
  • Reply 18 of 236
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenstee View Post

Am I the only one lamenting the lack of on-board CD/DVD capability? To me that is a must. And no, I'm not interested in carrying the portable accessory CD/DVD.

- Ability to start up from a disk in case of a crash or hard disk problems

- Ability to easily install apps

- Watch DVDs on those long flights

My question is about wireless reception. Apple hasn't exactly been known for it's stellar wireless reception - expecially on MBPs. How is it on the Air? It's even more critical given that it is the only link from the Air to the outside world.

Why or why couldn't they have made a MBP 12" instead of or in addition to the Air?

1) If you use an optical drive often then the MBA isn't for you. As it happens to be Apple has not discontinued the rest of their notebook line.

2) There is Remote Disc. It's not as fast as an internal optical drive, but how many apps are installing anyway. I haven't used an optical drive to install 3rd party apps in years.

3) Using DVDs will drain your battery much faster than using the HDD. Smart travelers will at least copy the Video_TS folder to the HDD before flying.

4) I've read that Macs have poor wireless reception but I've been using the 802.11b Airport card since 2000 with different 3rd party wi-fi routers and I've never had a problem with a single dropping. I wonder if I'm lucky or if people who are having problems are doing something to their system.
  • Reply 19 of 236
    I am glad that the MacBook Air does not have an optical drive. The new inexpensive USB flash drives are much better than DVDs for repairing a corrupted hard drive. I purchased a Corsair Voyager 16 GB flash drive for less than $100. I installed Mac OS X 10.5.1, deleted nonessential programs and files, installed my disk utilities and "NeoOffice", disabled "Spotlight" and still have 7 GB of space left over. It can even be used to edit files without the hard drive.

\tFor watching movies on a plane, use the "HandBrake" program on your main computer to make a smaller version of the movies suitable for a small laptop screen. Then use the USB flash drive to transfer the movies to your MacBook Air. Viewing the movie from the hard drive uses less battery power than from a DVD drive.
  • Reply 20 of 236
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    We will purchase when MacBook Air has:

- Firewire (Target Disk Mode for repairs is a must)

_ Ethernet port (Wireless is not everywhere)

- Video out port (again, Wireless is not everywhere)

- More USB ports (one is not enough)

Meanwhile, note that all that and in particular the Firewire port is possible even for tiny devices like the Kanguru Fire Flash (Firewire Flash Drive):

http://www.kanguru.com/fireflash.html

And one last thing... We also need this with both Firewire and Mac OS X inside:

OQO Model e2

http://www.oqo.com/intl