Safari/iChat integration idea...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So maybe this should go in Digital Hub, but Safari discussion seems to be here.

If you've ever tried to browse past chats in iChat, you know it's a pain... no date stored in the filename, nada. Trying to find a *specific* piece of data, like a URL, is even worse.

So... how about a Rendevous style Collection in the Bookmarks of Safari that stores the URLs you've been sent in iChat? Something like...

I'm not sure if it would be best to have them entered when iChat *gets* them, or when you *click* on them, but something like this seems like a natural integration.

Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jahyjahy Posts: 54member
    That sounds great!

It would probably be best to let Safari handle it. Then you could get url rememberance from any applications that calls on Safari to open one, for instance the Finder or iChat. Maybe there could be preferences for whether to remember urls when safari is used as a helper application.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, the more I think about it, I think iChat should handle the whole thing. Why?

1) Address Book is the UI into a rich database of personal info. What other types of info are there that many apps may want to use? Well, bookmarks are one, and we see the Address Book integration in Safari already. But bookmarks aren't necessarily part of a larger information set (like for a person or a company). They really need their own database, which every app can use, like the Address Book info.

2) Safari is now the bookmarks editor... and OmniWeb, and IE, and... if they could all use the same bookmarks information set (.plist, .html are both options) then any app can add its info appropriately.

3) OpenURL requests don't currently (AFAIK) carry along the info on which app sent it. The receiving app *shouldn't care*. So there's no real way for Safari to easily determine if it was iChat that sent the URL. (If I'm wrong on this, let me know.)

So, I'd like to see, optimally:

1) A BookmarksAccess API like there is for Address Book. Perhaps just as easy as editing a .plist file, like Safari uses, but a globally accessible and recognized place for *all* URL interested apps to find and place information.

2) iChat save to this database when receiving a URL. Have this show up when in Safari, obviously.

3) Repeat the above for &*%(@$ cookies so any browser can access them.

Edit: Is it just me, or are we *finally* getting back, in small baby steps, to the situation we Newton owners were in back in '95 or so, where we have central databases of widely used information that any app can access and use? *sigh*

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I think it's a bad idea to allow a browser to do more than what it should do...keep apps seperate...iChat should handle its own logs.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    And we should keep iChat's username info out of Address Book where Mail puts its addresses?

I definitely think that iChat would alter the bookmarks file, and Safari would read/alter it, just like Mail, iChat, and Address Book all work together.

Keeping every app an island is a waste of possible synergy.

Of course, smashing them all together is just as bad (MS), but so far Apple has run a pretty good middle ground.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dalidali Posts: 32member
    Funny you say that....

I posted similar things here...

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001871"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001871</a>;

From an OSX vs Windows wishlist...

---------------------------------------------------

My Wish List - by priority....

- 1) Resize window from ANYWHERE! Apple practically invented the GUI, and I have to resize my windows from one TINY corner!! No friggin way, I can NOT believe this has not been mentioned, and we don't have it ALREADY! Please chime-in and add your support, so SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!!! (yes that pissed off!)

- 2) Active Desktop (but better) - I want my desktop image to be my "homepage" or my "email client" or my "default finder window", or "ALL OF THEM" at the same time with a powerful interface to customize it and resize (of course) the components within it! I truley believe it is time to utilize this space with functionality, not just an image, what a waste! Imagine having all the Apple apps integrated into the actual desktop image iCal, iChat, Safari, iSync, Mail, AddressBook, iTunes! - That would be - Innovation!

- 3) Safari / iApp Integration - I know it is a beta, but would be great for Safari to be able to read iApp documents and the file types exported from iApps. Windows does this well, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc can all be read by IE. For example - Imagine if Safari could control iTunes? You could control all aspects of of iTunes from within the interface of Safari, ONE APP open. I would imagine this would similar to the bookmark button, takes over the entire Safari interface to display iTunes, or iTunes equavilent. Can you Imagine more of this type of Integration, I can Safari opens up a lot of integration possabilities - Think AOL, Think MSN, next gen web experience

- 4) Internet Access (see point 3) - I know people are questioning Apple for their diversification, too many businesses. However, follow the logic. To answer the question, "What Windows features would you like in OSX?", needs to be expanded to "What Microsoft features would you like to see in Apple?" I would Apple to expand to at least one more business - Internet Access. They are almost their, actually. They need to buy Earthlink at their deflated stock price and get on it. Imagine what Apple could do if they owned the entire Internet/Computer/Creation Process....? My god the possibilities are endless, and could if done effectibely and in innovative ways... actually EXPAND AND GAIN MARKETSHARE! Thoughts?

- 5) And yes, better network usability

That's about it for now I guess - Please feel free to give your opinion - the good, the bad, and the ugly

tom

---------------------------------------------------

I think the more integrated the better - as long as the choice is still there to run them separately

tom
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>And we should keep iChat's username info out of Address Book where Mail puts its addresses?

I definitely think that iChat would alter the bookmarks file, and Safari would read/alter it, just like Mail, iChat, and Address Book all work together.

Keeping every app an island is a waste of possible synergy.

Of course, smashing them all together is just as bad (MS), but so far Apple has run a pretty good middle ground.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah but the integration has to make sense...your integration makes no sense at all.

Safari is for browsing webpages...not iChat logs.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    we are not talking about logs, although this is a good idea as well... we are talking about URLs in iChat being saved to a global bookmark location for ALL apps to use (but managed through Safari, much like address book)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>we are not talking about logs, although this is a good idea as well... we are talking about URLs in iChat being saved to a global bookmark location for ALL apps to use (but managed through Safari, much like address book)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oops my bad...ok that'd make a little more sense.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Yeah, I never stated or intended that Safari would browse iChat logs... that's ridiculous. What I stated was that finding a URL in iChat's logs is next to impossible, and that as a way to make getting them easy, a possible solution would be for iChat to add URLs it sees to a central bookmark list in the Safari bookmarks list, such that the user sees them much like they see the Address Book bookmarks.

And I agree that having Safari handle everyone else's data is unreasonable and a waste. Sorry, Dali.

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>