OmniGroup on hiatus?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It seems no Omni products have been updated in a long time. Or is it just me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Freedom Force
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    As I understand they have a team for their Omni products and their game ports. Or am I incorrect?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    A long time ago I read that their Omni softwaare team was also doing consulting/porting of other companies' software. Maybe it is one of these client projects which is keeping them busy.

Maybe they are working on the iDVD killer as we speak, bringing DVD mastering to the non-superdrive public...

I haven't got a DVD burner yet why can't I burn DVD's?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    One thing thye are working on is OmniWeb 5 which is going to have a new rendering engine.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Rick has publicly stated several times that The Omni Group is strongly considering adopting Apples new implementation of KHTML. That should vastly shorten the time to release OW5, provided that Safari doesn't stay in beta yor a year.

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Omni is primarily a consulting firm. Their products are basically tools they developed for themselves, spiffed up and released to the public. They aren't Omni's primary source of income.

If Omni's application development (under their own brand) is stagnating, it's probably because they're getting lots of paying gigs. That's good news for them, even if it means that OW5 will be a bit slow to appear.

OmniGroup is pretty small, so while I doubt they all dive into every project, I don't think it takes too many projects to fill their plates.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Wasn´t the extrememy poor speller from here (Michael8000 or something) hired by them? Then I guess they are occupied proof reading their latest software before they can compile it.

(Yes I know he isn´t programming but making icons for them)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Yes, Omni hired Michael Matas a while ago.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Omni is primarily a consulting firm. Their products are basically tools they developed for themselves, spiffed up and released to the public. They aren't Omni's primary source of income.

If Omni's application development (under their own brand) is stagnating, it's probably because they're getting lots of paying gigs. That's good news for them, even if it means that OW5 will be a bit slow to appear.

OmniGroup is pretty small, so while I doubt they all dive into every project, I don't think it takes too many projects to fill their plates.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I understand and already knew that, and more power to them for getting some good work coming to them. I am also just a big fan of their software and have not seen it updated in a while...just wanted to get a status update. No rush lol
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Omni is primarily a consulting firm. Their products are basically tools they developed for themselves, spiffed up and released to the public. They aren't Omni's primary source of income.

OmniGroup is pretty small, so while I doubt they all dive into every project, I don't think it takes too many projects to fill their plates.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is not true at all. This is a common misconception about Omni. We do game porting as more of a hobby. The games are in no way slowing down the production of OmniWeb 5. We make our money off our own applications. We are working on furthering our applications efforts and showing people that we are series about being the absolute best full blow applications company developing exclusively for OS X. If you did not already know this Omni now has all of it's products in retail stores around the world. So stop into your local CompUSA, AppleStore or any other Apple retailer and check our stuff out.

Yes it is true, Omni has not updated it's apps in a wait. But there is a good reason. We have been working really hard on our next major versions of our software. We have got a lot of great stuff that is going to be coming out soon. I am really confident you guys are going to love it. This stuff is incredible.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    our very own insider ! jipee !
  • Reply 12 of 12
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

That is not true at all. This is a common misconception about Omni. We do game porting as more of a hobby. The games are in no way slowing down the production of OmniWeb 5. We make our money off our own applications. We are working on furthering our applications efforts and showing people that we are series about being the absolute best full blow applications company developing exclusively for OS X. If you did not already know this Omni now has all of it's products in retail stores around the world. So stop into your local CompUSA, AppleStore or any other Apple retailer and check our stuff out.

Yes it is true, Omni has not updated it's apps in a wait. But there is a good reason. We have been working really hard on our next major versions of our software. We have got a lot of great stuff that is going to be coming out soon. I am really confident you guys are going to love it. This stuff is incredible.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes he is a very bad speller.