Lost, Season 4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Excellent, and, how do you know these things?

I stupidly read the entire episode breakdowns for S04E01 & S04E02. Screeners had been sent out. The E01 synopsis was 100% accurate.

This next episode is going to be insanely good.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    No Spoilers! I don't want to know!
  • Reply 23 of 26
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Who's still watching? Last night's episode was wonderful, I thought. Lots of new questions. More flash-forwards (although I'm not convinced that they're all flash-forwards).

Any thoughts?

~~warning: drive-by flame~~

I gave up on Lost after the first season when I came to realise that investing in Lost was going to be a waste of time.

I don't know if any of you had been Alias fans (JJ Abrams previous show), but I was in from day-one. Great concept, characters that I cared about, and a plot that kept me coming back every week. But after the first two seasons, it started to lose direction. In spite of this, I was invested and wasn't willing to turn away. As you can guess, that moment did come: "my name's not Michael Vaughn." The very last words of season four. I'll never watch another episode of any serial by Abrams. The man, simply, has no idea where he's headed; and when you're writing an arc-intensive show like Alias or Lost, the fans are only going to be pissed off in the end. It happened with Alias (though I didn't watch the final season, a buddy of mine said that it was a relief when it was finally over), it will happen with Lost.

Perhaps you're too committed now, but I say get out while you can: nothing good will come of Lost. A good serial should be like a novel: you write the final paragraph first because if you don't know where you're headed, then you have no story to tell. JJ Abrams is just wasting your time, and you're making him rich for it! Don't be suckers!
  • Reply 24 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

~~warning: drive-by flame~~

I gave up on Lost after the first season when I came to realise that investing in Lost was going to be a waste of time.

I don't know if any of you had been Alias fans (JJ Abrams previous show), but I was in from day-one. Great concept, characters that I cared about, and a plot that kept me coming back every week. But after the first two seasons, it started to lose direction. In spite of this, I was invested and wasn't willing to turn away. As you can guess, that moment did come: "my name's not Michael Vaughn." The very last words of season four. I'll never watch another episode of any serial by Abrams. The man, simply, has no idea where he's headed; and when you're writing an arc-intensive show like Alias or Lost, the fans are only going to be pissed off in the end. It happened with Alias (though I didn't watch the final season, a buddy of mine said that it was a relief when it was finally over), it will happen with Lost.

Perhaps you're too committed now, but I say get out while you can: nothing good will come of Lost. A good serial should be like a novel: you write the final paragraph first because if you don't know where you're headed, then you have no story to tell. JJ Abrams is just wasting your time, and you're making him rich for it! Don't be suckers!

Well, you're absolutely right that Alias was ridiculous. It wound up a parody of the whole idea of surprise revelations, and ran "the good guy was the bad guy pretending to be the good guy masquerading as the bad guy, but was, in fact, the bad guy" so far into the ground that I can't imagine anyone, anywhere, cared at all by the time it ran its course.

But that doesn't make Lost the same thing, just because Abrams produces it. Alias often seemed to be little more than an excuse to get Jennifer Garner into fetish wear, and its story arc, such as it was, was just a lightly adhered to series of way stations intended to lend a specious sense of larger doings to what was basically just a silly farrago of babes and spy stuff.

Lost, on the other hand, is way more insistent on a stable mythology, and that mythology is far, far more central to the whole design of the show. Plus, the writers and producers have been very clear that they are working from a real story arc, and they have already announced when it will end, so they know how many episodes they have to tell it.

Just a whole different order of ambition, in my opinion.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    There is no plot line. It's just whatever they can throw out of their butt. It's still good though.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngelaRim View Post

There is no plot line. It's just whatever they can throw out of their butt. It's still good though.

Really? Is that your opinion or do you have anything to back it up? It seems to me that that the Lost crew does know how things will play out and they aren't just throwing it 'out of their butt'.