Definitive update on new MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    I know that NO ONE can make an absolute prediction of when the Macbook Pro update will come, but we seem to have AI members who in one way or another become privy to knowledge that the rest of us cannot get.

So My question is: Can anyone shed some light on WHEN the new Macbook Pro will launch? Tailpipe got some dirt on what may be coming, but I need to have a better idea of when it will be here. My iBook G4 is beyond needing to be retired.
  • Reply 42 of 98
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I know that I made a large generalization about the people who like the colors of the nano's. But my point still stands, Apple is going toward a more sophisticated lineup and going back to colors is a regression to the late '90s. Many people thought that when Apple created a sub notebook that they would make it look like the nano of the time, and guess what? IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! And I don't think they will start modeling the Macbook line after a portable music player. It may look slick in your mind's eye, but I would get my hopes up. In fact, I wouldn't even hope...

I don't think anyone is advocating a return neon on plastic. The coloured anodised aluminum looks slick. But it may be that it looks good on a small iPod, but not on a large notebook. I'm sure that Apple has made a prototype at some point to see whether it worked. They'll introduce it only if it looks good. And if the new MBPs and MBs look like the MBA, then they will be nice looking machines (so no loss).
  • Reply 43 of 98
    OK if this is true and new MBP are coming out... Is anyone interested in buying my current 2.16ghz C2D, with 3GB RAM and 200GB new seagate drive?
  • Reply 44 of 98
    AU$1750.... no lower... lol thats all the money i have at the moment... but... thinking about it i would have to say no causei hate the silver keyboard. i like the MB type of keyboard.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steiner View Post

OK if this is true and new MBP are coming out... Is anyone interested in buying my current 2.16ghz C2D, with 3GB RAM and 200GB new seagate drive?

Your testing my patience, but I passed
  • Reply 46 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I know that NO ONE can make an absolute prediction of when the Macbook Pro update will come, but we seem to have AI members who in one way or another become privy to knowledge that the rest of us cannot get.

So My question is: Can anyone shed some light on WHEN the new Macbook Pro will launch? Tailpipe got some dirt on what may be coming, but I need to have a better idea of when it will be here. My iBook G4 is beyond needing to be retired.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...refreshes.html
  • Reply 47 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Am I the only one that hates the black keys on the MB Air? I love my silver on silver MBP and would hate for it to get this cosmetic "evolution".

We seem to be in the minority, but I love the MBP keys as they exists. They look so much better and in my opinion are MUCH easier to utilize. After spending endless hours with the current design/layout, I hate the new separated key design. I am rushing to buy one before Apple changes the design as I feel it is a certainty. I should know this, but can the new keyboards be backlit?
  • Reply 48 of 98
    I was going to buy a macbook pro like in march or whatever, the 15" for $1999 american, but obviously now im going to wait till the new model or whatever comes out. I just wanted to ask your opinions on do you think they will remain the same price as they were. Because if they go up in price i think that will be very stupid.
  • Reply 49 of 98
    I hope the new MBP looks something like this. Yes, Black MBA keyboard, Magnetic latch. Wouldn't it be nice if the advert was similar to this? Roll on the day it is announced.

Credit goes to bayol05 for the design of the actual concept of the new MacBook Pro . I just used it and made the ad.

• Reply 50 of 98
    I do not think that new MacBook Pros are coming this Tuesday (19th February). I think it will be the week after, (26th February) at the special event. This is a guess and not based on any info I have. I hope I am wrong. BTW, that's a cool photoshop image. Looks about right based on the collective wisdom of rumor merchants.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Yes that's speculation of course. But since in 6 of the last 7 years Apple did refresh the PowerBook/MacBook Pro lines in October or November, it is a good indication that they might do again this year.

The MacBook Pro debut'd in late February / early March of 2006.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    Really hoping that the refresh comes soon as I really would love to have a replacement laptop as what I have now really doesn't cut it for the 3D Rendering, Photoshop, and A/V editing work that I enjoy doing. I am really hoping for an updated GPU more than anything as the processor and memory are fine for my needs at this point.

If they, for some strange reason, decide to continue dropping 8600s into their $3,000 dollar laptops then I will likely just have to look somewhere else.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I do not think that new MacBook Pros are coming this Tuesday (19th February). I think it will be the week after, (26th February) at the special event. This is a guess and not based on any info I have. I hope I am wrong. BTW, that's a cool photoshop image. Looks about right based on the collective wisdom of rumor merchants.

Even with stocks running low at online stores.

im am sure its this week there is soo much pointing towards this. the other weeks were just based off the apple trends and small hunches.

this has to be it.. i dont think they will make a big issue about it.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

Even with stocks running low at online stores.

im am sure its this week there is soo much pointing towards this. the other weeks were just based off the apple trends and small hunches.

this has to be it.. i dont think they will make a big issue about it.

sorry to be a pest, but what are the 5 top reasons that it is pointing to this week, i have been reading on these forums and now its all just a jumble in my head. if every clue points to this tuesday, february 19th, then heaven almighty, thousands of dreams have come true. i am a first time apple user, and was close to buying the macbook pro currently out, but did a little researth to make sure the new update wasnt too close, lo and behold, it is. im a first time apple user. Thank your for you patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 55 of 98
    Quote:

"Apple retail partner and online reseller Best Buy has recently run out of 15-inch models, and lists on its online store wait times of one to two weeks for availability."

Quote:

"With each passing week, [MacBook Pros] are becoming harder and harder to come by," said one source, who spoke under the condition of anonymity. "Orders are still trickling in, but in quantities half those of December."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B

"The other thing about Amazon is that they'll have a pretty deep stock of the current models. The are still selling the MacBook Pro version with 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and Tiger (here). Even if new MBPs show up at Apple stores on Tuesday, it doesn't necessarily mean Amazon will have them right away. And they certainly won't stop selling the older versions."

Out of stock with current models? not sure.

Quote:

Ten days ago Dell starting shipping Penryn based notebooks. The delay is only a few days as with all their build-to-order notebooks, which means they have them in stock. Unless there is a huge supply issue I don't think Apple will wait until March to update the MBPs. I think Tuesday is the most likely date for this based on other evidence in this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan

Amazon is not associted to apple besides business partner. So Amazon should have their own stock of computers and is not affected by Apple's shortage. So how is this two linked?

Thats all I have thats IMO Pointing to a refresh....
  • Reply 56 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

Out of stock with current models? not sure.

Thats all I have thats IMO Pointing to a refresh....

thank you very much, that saves me and a lot of others, a lot of reading. man im too excited.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Anyone remember Robson, the forgotten part of Santa Rosa? It was a feature that was supposed to put some flash memory on the logic board to speed boot times, app launches, etc. All you need is 1 or 2GB and that sure wouldn't cost much these days.

As for the Penryn used in the updated MBP, I wonder if it'll use the smaller packaging seen on the MBA. Sure would be nice, especially considering that the MBA uses a 65nm Merom chip on the CPU package intended for Montevina. Aside from taking up less space, it would add efficiency to the CPU.

Oh, and how about a Blu-ray option? You can order HP Pavilion laptops now with 2.5 GHz Penryn chips and Blu-ray ROM, DVD ± RW drives. They make them thin enough now so it'd be nice as an option.

I'd prefer a monochromatic design with matching keys. If it's like the MBA, it might look something like this:

I hope it doesnt look like that!!
  • Reply 58 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers the body-colored keys over the black. Not that that's going to change anything.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    Black keys are IMHO much better than *fake aluminium* keys - having plastic parts trying to look like metal is tacky (i.e. very DELL).

Thus I will love the black, backlit keys on my new MBP

If nothing else it will probably bring back memories of my best computer ever: the Pismo (admittedly with Coke-colored keys - but anyway...).
  • Reply 60 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Anyone remember Robson, the forgotten part of Santa Rosa? It was a feature that was supposed to put some flash memory on the logic board to speed boot times, app launches, etc. All you need is 1 or 2GB and that sure wouldn't cost much these days.

As for the Penryn used in the updated MBP, I wonder if it'll use the smaller packaging seen on the MBA. Sure would be nice, especially considering that the MBA uses a 65nm Merom chip on the CPU package intended for Montevina. Aside from taking up less space, it would add efficiency to the CPU.

Oh, and how about a Blu-ray option? You can order HP Pavilion laptops now with 2.5 GHz Penryn chips and Blu-ray ROM, DVD ± RW drives. They make them thin enough now so it'd be nice as an option.

I'd prefer a monochromatic design with matching keys. If it's like the MBA, it might look something like this:

I only just saw this image and based on the conversations I've had with people in the know, I think this is a very good approximation of what the new MBP will look like. Even so, this image doesn't convey the "wow" factor of the new MBA - by all accounts it isn't a whole lot thicker than MBA.

Key points to note are: more rounded edges, thinner, lighter, larger gesture-enabled touchpad, and I suspect that the DVD drive opening will move to the right side of the machine instead of the front, because the front will have more tapered edge like the MBA to allow you to pick it up off a flat surface more easily. We're talking 5 lbs in weight versus 5.4 lbs and 2 cm in thickness verus 2.5 cm. While some people dislike the black keys, it is by no means certain that they will be black. We're just assuming they will be, because of the MBA. We don't know everything yet.

The chief advantage of the new Penryn chip is that it will offer equivalent computing power while running at a lower voltage. This means it will not get so hot or use up battery juice so quickly. It may well feature the Santa Rosa Centrino chipset on a smaller board (like the MBA) but should have a superior graphics processor.

I know nothing about Blu-Ray but feel sure this will be an option. I know nothing about SSD, but suspect that this too may be an option. (Apparently 128 Gb SSD drives are now ready? Anyone know more about this?)

As I said elsewhere, we think it will be announced at the Febrruary 26 event, not tomorrow. If I'm wrong, no will be happier. That's all I can say.