Apple to open Beijing flagship in time for 2008 Olympic games

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. will flaunt its surging brand before the estimated three million visitors who will flock to Beijing, China for this Summer's Olympic with the launch of a large retail store near the center of the capital city.

The store, which has been shrouded in secrecy for the better part of its developmental process, is due to turn up on Qianmen Street, a historic half-mile long avenue at the south end of Tiananmen Square that is undergoing an extensive $40 million renovation.

According to ifoAppleStore, construction is underway to improve the utilities, repave the street with green and white marble, restore building façades to their 1920-1930 appearance, re-introduce a tram and rebuild the existing Opera House.

"When the street re-opens in May, it will be the second pedestrian-only shopping street in the city, and will feature 300 shops filling over 800,000 square-feet, including several international retailers such as Starbucks and Adidas," ifo said in its report.

Apple's store, which is due to launch ahead of the August 8th Olympic opening ceremonies, will reportedly blend in with the existing Chinese architecture rather than sport the company's traditional glass, black and stainless steel facade.

Decorative flower garden in Tiananmen Square depicting various Olympic sports.

The Beijing store is expected to be just the first of several to arrive in China over the next several years, as Apple seeks to rapidly expand its presence in the region through the launch of products such as the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. will flaunt its surging brand before the estimated three million visitors who will flock to Beijing, China for this Summer's Olympic with the launch of a large retail store near the center of the capital city.

[...[

Decorative flower garden in Tiananmen Square depicting various Olympic sports.

[...]

The Beijing store is expected to be just the first of several to arrive in China over the next several years, as Apple seeks to rapidly expand its presence in the region through the launch of products such as the iPhone.

How about satisfying the quite wealthy 250 Million CONTINENTAL EUROPEAN clients ? In Europe ?

And I am sure that Tianamen Square looks fine these days - after all the bloodshed. Funny how quick people forget.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

How about satisfying the quite wealthy 250 Million CONTINENTAL EUROPEAN clients ? In Europe ?

And I am sure that Tianamen Square looks fine these days - after all the bloodshed. Funny how quick people forget.

Apple has rather questionable marketing sense when it comes to some things...and fantastic marketing abilities when it actually gets its act together and goes after a segment. Europe is a fantastic market for high-end electronics...why isn't Apple pushing there? Your guess is as good as mind...personally, I'm going to go with ineptitude... After all, even Apple has its fair share of nitwits.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Oh and Europe has never had a drop of blood on its hands .. come on people.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

Oh and Europe has never had a drop of blood on its hands .. come on people.

Yes it did - but for quite some time exercising your fundamental human rights is not a guaranteed way into prison.

I agree that Beijing is a very nice flag on the map "Where we have shops" and I am sure that 1.x bln people can constitute a very significant market. But pls step aside from the MBA logic "Must go to China" ! Look at per capita earnings. Berlin, Germany - no Apple store. Paris, France - no Apple store, Madrid, Spain - no Apple store, Barcelona, Spain - no Apple store, Hamburg, Germany - no Apple store, the list could go on.

And what about that other "significant" market with 1.x bln customers ? Stable democracy, Human rights respected, free market economy, western judiciary system, speaks good english, seems to be quite good with computers...India. Well - you guessed - no Apple store.

Come on you ppl from Wharton and Co. : use Google Maps to discover other areas of the world then the one it says on the back of most products,
  • Reply 5 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Apple has rather questionable marketing sense when it comes to some things...and fantastic marketing abilities when it actually gets its act together and goes after a segment. Europe is a fantastic market for high-end electronics...why isn't Apple pushing there? Your guess is as good as mind...personally, I'm going to go with ineptitude... After all, even Apple has its fair share of nitwits.

I agree, but if they planned this to beat the games, then this really would be a major marketing win. Nearly every country is giong to be represented at the games with atheletes and tourists.

Also, China's middle class is sizeable and growing, they're probably the biggest single untapped market for Apple right now in terms of the number of people that can afford an Apple product.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Apple would be much smarter to open a store in Shanghai, the people there are generally more technologically savvy and wealthier, although Apple admittedly has hardly made a dent in China thus far.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, but if they planned this to beat the games, then this really would be a major marketing win. Nearly every country is giong to be represented at the games with atheletes and tourists.

Also, China's middle class is sizeable and growing, they're probably the biggest single untapped market for Apple right now in terms of the number of people that can afford an Apple product.

Ningbo would be another good spot for an Apple Store.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Yes it did - but for quite some time exercising your fundamental human rights is not a guaranteed way into prison.

I agree that Beijing is a very nice flag on the map "Where we have shops" and I am sure that 1.x bln people can constitute a very significant market. But pls step aside from the MBA logic "Must go to China" ! Look at per capita earnings. Berlin, Germany - no Apple store. Paris, France - no Apple store, Madrid, Spain - no Apple store, Barcelona, Spain - no Apple store, Hamburg, Germany - no Apple store, the list could go on.

And what about that other "significant" market with 1.x bln customers ? Stable democracy, Human rights respected, free market economy, western judiciary system, speaks good english, seems to be quite good with computers...India. Well - you guessed - no Apple store.

Come on you ppl from Wharton and Co. : use Google Maps to discover other areas of the world then the one it says on the back of most products,

Have you been to Tiananmen square? Or for that matter, have you ever been to China? Sometimes it makes me wonder if people believe talking about something they don't know makes them look intelligent.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pptiger View Post

Have you been to Tiananmen square? Or for that matter, have you ever been to China? Sometimes it makes me wonder if people believe talking about something they don't know makes them look intelligent.

Unfortunately not - I have however lived and worked for twenty years in seven different countires and experienced another three countries on a long term basis thanks to the job of my parents. Seen the fall of the Soviet Union while in Moscow though - if that helps matters.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Unfortunately not - I have however lived and worked for twenty years in seven different countires and experienced another three countries on a long term basis thanks to the job of my parents. Seen the fall of the Soviet Union while in Moscow though - if that helps matters.

And look at how Russia is doing now - not much better - if that is what you want.

The point is you could have just supported your argument based on an economic point of view, i.e., GDP and so on; making ignorant judgement on a country you've never been to doesn't seem very convincing.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pptiger View Post

And look at how Russia is doing now - not much better - if that is what you want.

The point is you could have just supported your argument based on an economic point of view, i.e., GDP and so on; making ignorant judgement on a country you've never been to doesn't seem very convincing.

OK - Russia is doing quite fine now last time I checked - Sitting on 30ish% of Oil and Gas suppy to the world helps. As to the rest - I did support my point(s) with arguments based on economic key figures - I chose per capita earnings. Last time I checked they were higher in Europe then in China. Or am I wrong ?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Last count: There are more millionaires in China than all the people in the Ohio. Now that is significantly significant.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple would be much smarter to open a store in Shanghai, the people there are generally more technologically savvy and wealthier, although Apple admittedly has hardly made a dent in China thus far.

Just got back from Shanghai.

Some great high-end stores. Lots of new buildings. Apparently there are more large/giant building cranes in Shanghai than any other city in the world. Everywhere you go, particularly in the Pudong New Area, new construction is rampant. Only caveat, there isn't anyone in most of the buildings already finished. No desks, no phones, no people. Just empty space and lots of it. But they still keep building.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

OK - Russia is doing quite fine now last time I cheked. as to the rest - I did support my point(s) with arguments based on economic key figures - I chose per capita earnings. Last time I checked they were higher in Europe then in China. Or am I wrong ?

So you know how to properly construct an argument - there is no need to involve any politics.

What irritates me is that on an Apple forum, when people are discussing a market movement of Apple, someone opened his sentence with "blood on Tiananmen square". That was twenty years ago. Compared to that time, China is also getting better in those areas you mentioned in previous post. Should I mention all the terrible things Europeans did whenever there is a discussion on things about Europe? There was blood everywhere around the world; it doesn't make where you are a better place only because you did it long time ago. Why not look at the bright side? Anyway, this has been dragged too far away from the topic. All I want to say is paying proper respect to other people won't diminish your points or argument.

Now back to the topic, most of Apple laptop and iPod are shipping from China now. Europe certainly has its advantage as those you pointed out above, but opening a store next to the manufactory doesn't seem unreasonable either.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Last count: There are more millionaires in China than all the people in the US. Now that is significantly significant.

Don't you mean there are more millionaires in China than in the US? I don't think China has 300 million millionaires.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Huh???

China has NO Where near as many millionaires as the US does. Not even in 5th place would be my guess.

Japan would be second, far behind the USA. Then probably Germany. Somewhere below that, China.

Of course, that will change in years to come. Beijing for example has many millionaires -- many of them, foreigners who live and work in China. Will they want iPhones, YES of course they will.

Shanghai will have a major store too before 18 months are up. After all, Apple builds many of its products near Shanghai. It is a wealthy city that will someday rival Tokyo (although it is nowhere near Tokyo at the present time -- not even 1/8 by my estimations.

For reference, Tokyo has 30 million Japanese people. Japanese people are rich. Shanghai has 20 million Chinese people + some foreigners. The foreigners are rich but the Chinese generally not... yet. Oh, they are getting there fast. But a match for Tokyo, certainly not. Maybe in 15 more years... possibly.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Don't you mean there are more millionaires in China than in the US? I don't think China has 300 million millionaires.

My error. China has over 350,000 millionaire. About 70,000 in Shanghai. I believe the number is about 3 million in the US, but that was before the housing crisis.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Will they ship products made in Taiwan to mainland China?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    In the USA, we have 7.5 million millionaires in 2004 (says CNN / money study). The stock market has done well since that year. Other estimates top 9 million.

It really varies how you decide to simulate things. Any which way, China is not similar to the developed world in terms of net worth, yet. Frankfurt alone will have more millionaires than all of China. That is my extrapolated guess at this time.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    watch this (16 min): then continue replying

A wake up call, isn't it ?