Front Row - Movie Poster View??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So I'm not sure if I dreamt this, but I could swear that when I first tried Front Row under leopard it was showing the movie posters for the movies I have converted from DVD as I moved down my list of titles. Now it just shows the preview movies (which suck). Is there some trick to get it to show the movie posters?

Edit in- Ok, I double checked and it would appear that the movies that are in my iTunes show their posters, but those in my movie folder do not. Still, I like the ability to put them in folders, so I would like a way to get the posters showing up for my movies in my movie folder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Sure, you need to add the artwork to your movie in iTunes, just like you would for a song. Then, it should be viewable in FrontRow.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    There is a program that does this called MetaX

Works great!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Sure, you need to add the artwork to your movie in iTunes, just like you would for a song. Then, it should be viewable in FrontRow.

I did add the artwork in iTunes. Then I removed the file from iTunes so that it doesn't clog my Front Row list and I put the metatagged movie files in a folder in my movie folder, so I can keep them organized. But unless it is in my iTunes library it doesn't show it's poster as the preview.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nordstrodamus View Post

I did add the artwork in iTunes. Then I removed the file from iTunes so that it doesn't clog my Front Row list and I put the metatagged movie files in a folder in my movie folder, so I can keep them organized. But unless it is in my iTunes library it doesn't show it's poster as the preview.

Well these files are meant to be left in iTunes for full functionality... so what do you expect?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I don't believe the poster image is stored in the file's metadata. I think it's stored in the iTunes library file. I don't think MP4 (M4V) and other video files have a metadata provision for a poster image -- just poster frames taken from some point within the video itself.

Try this. Add the poster art in iTunes, then copy the file to the finder, then remove the file from iTunes, then bring the file back into iTunes from the Finder. The poster image is gone, right?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I don't believe the poster image is stored in the file's metadata. I think it's stored in the iTunes library file. I don't think MP4 (M4V) and other video files have a metadata provision for a poster image -- just poster frames taken from some point within the video itself.

Try this. Add the poster art in iTunes, then copy the file to the finder, then remove the file from iTunes, then bring the file back into iTunes from the Finder. The poster image is gone, right?

Actually, the artwork returns when I do this, that's why I assumed it was adding metadata.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Actually, the artwork returns when I do this, that's why I assumed it was adding metadata.

I am a new mac user and have this except scenario, did you get a resolution to see posters in movie sub folders not in iTunes?