Apple 30" Display too huge?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been saving for one of these for like 2 years and happily set it up last week. I am a video editor so thought, this thing will rock! (I've been using the 23" for last few years.)

Now I feel like maybe I screwed up. This thing is freaking huge! I used to sit just a foot or so away from my 23" monitor, and now I just plain feel weird with this beast.

I've pushed it way back and am sitting way further away but it still messes with my eyes.

Does anyone else have issues like this. Maybe I'm just having buyer's remorse-or maybe this thing is too big for my eyeballs?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Maybe it's the amount of light coming at me? I feel weird after using it for awhile, almost like after playing a first person shooter video game where you fell dizzy afterward....
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Maybe it's the amount of light coming at me? I feel weird after using it for awhile, almost like after playing a first person shooter video game where you fell dizzy afterward....

Man, I gotta say I envy you. I have only had the chance to use it at the Apple Store and Fry's.

I can only wish that I had the 30". If you overspent, that is one thing, but if it is within your means, then maybe you have it just situated too close?

For video editing, I think it would be ideal. I have to pair up two 19 inchers.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I've been saving for one of these for like 2 years and happily set it up last week. I am a video editor so thought, this thing will rock! (I've been using the 23" for last few years.)

Now I feel like maybe I screwed up. This thing is freaking huge! I used to sit just a foot or so away from my 23" monitor, and now I just plain feel weird with this beast.

I've pushed it way back and am sitting way further away but it still messes with my eyes.

Does anyone else have issues like this. Maybe I'm just having buyer's remorse-or maybe this thing is too big for my eyeballs?!

I wouldn't push it back. It's just going to take some getting used to that's all. It's like the first time you wore glasses. (if you wear glasses) the first few weeks things look freaking weird, and you often feel off balance. Trust me your going to want two of those displays before you know it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yes, it will take a bit of getting used to. I sometimes find my screen is too bight. Try reducing the brightness if you feel your eyes are sore.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I got that feeling going from a 17" to a 20". I would personally never go higher than a 23"-24" display for a computer monitor due to the viewing distance.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Does anyone know if there is a difference in light output between the old apple cinema display from the G4 days and the new ACDs?

I'm doing color correcting in FCP and it just seems like the new display s are 'brighter' when turned all the way up compared to the old displays.

Anyone know any stats? Thanks for any info!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Hi there,

I had th 23" ACD for a about a year and then bought a 30" as well. The 30" is big, but you will soon find it "normal" (I kept my 23" for email/a web browser window). When developing software, you will probably work with an editor (Eclipse/Dreamweaver), a database management tool (navicat), 1-2 browser windows, email perhaps and you will soon appreciate the added screen-size. Another thing I LOVE the 30" for is Aperture. Seeing a large amount of thumbnails but not as "thumbnails" but rather 6x4 cm "Medium-Format" backlit-slides is just awesome and an enormous productivity gain. For Motion, Final Cut Pro etc. it is a dream as well (and you can watch/monitor your HD stuff on the second 23" monitor ;-) especially when using a Matrox MXO with it.

In short: give it another two weeks or so and you will probably love it!

Jonas
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    If you do get a 30" get the Dell, much, much better monitor for far cheaper.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Hehehe, I went through exactly the same thing when I got my first 30" ACD.

I remember seeing the box for the first time, and when I saw the "Actual size" caption under the photography I thought "I f*cking hope not".

There's no doubt it takes some getting used to ? but you will soon get used to it! I think it's normal to push it back on the desk a bit to begin with, and yes full brightness will leave you light headed.

Enjoy!