Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday added new models of the iPhone and iPod touch which have double the memory, doubling the amount of music, photos and videos that customers can carry with them wherever they go.

The company's iPhone now comes in a new 16GB model for $499, joining the 8GB model for $399. Meanwhile, iPod touch now comes in a 32GB model for $499, joining the 16GB model for $399 and the 8GB model for $299.

?For some users, there?s never enough memory,? said Greg Joswiak, Apple?s vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing. ?Now people can enjoy even more of their music, photos and videos on the most revolutionary mobile phone and best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world.?

Both iPhone and iPod touch feature Apple?s Multi-Touch user interface and pioneering software that allows users to find and enjoy all their music, videos, photos and more with just a touch of their finger.

All iPhone and iPod touch models include the latest software enhancements announced last month including the ability to automatically find your location using the new Maps application; create Web Clips for your favorite websites; customize your home screen and watch movies from the new iTunes Movie Rentals.

Pricing & Availability

The new 16GB iPhone is available immediately for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and AT&T retail and online stores. The 32GB iPod touch is available worldwide immediately for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. iTunes Movie Rentals are available in the US only.

iPhone and iPod touch require a Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later and iTunes 7.6; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) or later and iTunes 7.6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 225
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    And so the wait for a Macbook Pro update/refresh continues. I'm full of sadness.
  • Reply 2 of 225
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Hope for a 3g iphone before June is fading fast.

Still a nice update.
  • Reply 3 of 225
    indeed. yawn...
  • Reply 3 of 225
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    no 3G

and no updates to mac line (
  • Reply 5 of 225
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I'm very happy with these small updates. More memory is always nice to have. This was no doubt simply a matter of availability of higher density chips. 3G, on the other hand, is an entirely new hardware/software platform. That might take a while.
  • Reply 6 of 225
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Gah, why did they have to raise the price 100 bucks, faaaaaaaaaaaack.
  • Reply 7 of 225
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Because memory is not free?
  • Reply 8 of 225
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    They really should have kept it the same price, still nice update.
  • Reply 9 of 225
    As much as I love apple I wish they would roll out these products to all the countries at the same time.

In the UK we have no update as of today! But what do I care my iPhone is as good as new and I am not going to upgrade for at least a year!
  • Reply 10 of 225
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    How did they fast track this through FFC testing without anyone getting word out?

/Adrian
  • Reply 11 of 225
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    touch me
  • Reply 12 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Gah, why did they have to raise the price 100 bucks, faaaaaaaaaaaack.

You are not very observant are you?
  • Reply 13 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WJHMH View Post

They really should have kept it the same price, still nice update.

They did, the just added a bigger model. Wake up people!!
  • Reply 14 of 225
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    Where's my 10.5.2?
  • Reply 15 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steiner View Post

As much as I love apple I wish they would roll out these products to all the countries at the same time.

In the UK we have no update as of today! But what do I care my iPhone is as good as new and I am not going to upgrade for at least a year!

Actually the 16gb phone is in the UK now - Applestore Glasgow has them in stock as well. As the new touch and a couple of MacBookAirs ... damn are they gorgeous in the flesh ;-)

Jon
  • Reply 16 of 225
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steiner View Post

The register is reporting that they're available today in the UK...
  • Reply 17 of 225
    $500 for 32GB? I don't think so.

I'll take an 8 GB. All I want is the internet and mail.
  • Reply 18 of 225
    Great news, iJust bought an iphone, now Apple has given me the opportunity to go out and buy another one!

Thunk Different.

• Reply 19 of 225
    £329 (inc VAT) for the 16GB iPhone here in the UK. That's $650. Ouch!

To contrast, on O2's homepage today they're advertising the Black 8GB N95 for free.

Macworld UK is reporting Duffy doing a gig on the 15th Feb in the Regent Street store. I wonder if that corresponds with some other (more interesting) product updates?
  • Reply 20 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

How did they fast track this through FFC testing without anyone getting word out?

/Adrian

Why would they have to go through the FFC or FCC or whatever for just a simple memory upgrade. It's not like they're creating a whole new product.