Best WiFi Home Set Up with Comcast?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am setting up a Comcast account at home and would appreciate opinions on the best course of action. I realize that I will need a cable modem for the basic Ethernet connection, and I am leaning towards the Motorola SB5101. I will need VPN capability for taking work home, so if someone has a better option that they know works well? Please, bring it on.

So, my question is this: what does the Airport Extreme offer me in terms of speed, etc., over a comb unit such as the Motorola SBG900? I understand that the SBG900 uses 802.11g vs Airport Extreme's 802.11n technology, but what the heck does that mean to me in a one computer set up?

Anything? Nothing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I just went with the el-cheapo "whatever cable modem Comcast gives you for free" hardware. All I needed was an RJ-45 connector so I could hook that to my Airport Extreme (the old flying saucer shaped one, not this new whizzy 802.11n version). Since then I have great wireless all over the house, a printer hung off it and it serves the Macs as well as the visiting pee cees. My work pee cee connects up to the company VPN flawlessly with no issues.

From time to time Comcast dies off, but I've never had any issues with the Airport.

Joe
  • Reply 2 of 4
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Thanks Joe. Much appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I went with the so called "wireless router" so that I could have extra ports to plug other stuff into the network. Like the tivo and what not. I just bought a linksys wireless router with the "whatever the hell modem comcast gave me for 'free'". I'm not unhappy.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    airport express (air-tunes) works well for me.

my apartment is not too big so i get decent coverage all over.