apple store genius bar

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
might be a stupid question, but if I take an apointement in an apple store at the genius bar, is it free?

I know it best to bring my mac, but since I only want to learn my way through leopard should I bring it anyway?

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I think they are free as long as you have a warranty / applecare covered device. they have tutorials on apple.com, I would check those out first. http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/ and http://www.apple.com/support/leopard/

They also have learning sessions at the bigger stores as well.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Appointments at the Genius Bar are free. If you have a hardware problem, fixing it will cost you if your machine is not under warrantee. I think you will find that the Geniuses are less than helpful if what you want is to learn your way around the operating system. They are mainly there to fix problems. Apple now has this "One to one" program for $99 that is for training people on things like how to use the operating system. They also have free workshops, which are more like lectures. In my experience they are okay for showing you some of the things you can do but not a very good place to learn. If you are new to the Mac, I would say the best thing to do is to go to an Apple store at some off-peak time and tell one of the sales people that you are new to the Mac and would like them to show you around. The staff aren't usually geniuses, but they generally know their way around the operating system and they generally have more time than the Geniuses. Of course, your milage may very. I find that individual staff members, both sales staff and Geniuses, very widely in how much they know and how much time they are willing to give you.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL View Post

Appointments at the Genius Bar are free. If you have a hardware problem, fixing it will cost you if your machine is not under warrantee. I think you will find that the Geniuses are less than helpful if what you want is to learn your way around the operating system. They are mainly there to fix problems. Apple now has this "One to one" program for $99 that is for training people on things like how to use the operating system. They also have free workshops, which are more like lectures. In my experience they are okay for showing you some of the things you can do but not a very good place to learn. If you are new to the Mac, I would say the best thing to do is to go to an Apple store at some off-peak time and tell one of the sales people that you are new to the Mac and would like them to show you around. The staff aren't usually geniuses, but they generally know their way around the operating system and they generally have more time than the Geniuses. Of course, your milage may very. I find that individual staff members, both sales staff and Geniuses, very widely in how much they know and how much time they are willing to give you.

I've done 'one to one' training and I've found them to be excellent.

In fact, my one year period is about up and I plan on re-enrolling.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    Thanks guys.

I went today. The guy was really nice and helpful.

I had my list of questions, and he answered all of them no problems. They where not very technical questions though.

The only thing is, he had only 15 minutes! It was fast!

All of the questions I had could have been answered here, but I thought it would be cool to have someone show them to me one on one.

A few of the questions I had.

how to resize a picture with Ihpoto

How to use hotmail with Ichat

how to have an english dictionary with safari (instead of french)

Yvon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I've done 'one to one' training and I've found them to be excellent.

In fact, my one year period is about up and I plan on re-enrolling.

I have a couple questions for you about one to one. How much training do you get for your $99? I can see this being a great deal if you get to go as often as you like. Also, what kind of stuff were you trying to learn? Can get help with specialized and/or more technical stuff? What I would really like is some help with Xcode. Everything I find is either meant for the complete beginner or for someone who is really a professional programmer. I am afraid I fall someplace in between.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Was this the Genius Bar you went to?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yvon View Post

Thanks guys.

I went today. The guy was really nice and helpful.

I had my list of questions, and he answered all of them no problems. They where not very technical questions though.

The only thing is, he had only 15 minutes! It was fast!

All of the questions I had could have been answered here, but I thought it would be cool to have someone show them to me one on one.

A few of the questions I had.

how to resize a picture with Ihpoto

How to use hotmail with Ichat

how to have an english dictionary with safari (instead of french)

Yvon

• Reply 7 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I have a couple questions for you about one to one. How much training do you get for your $99? I can see this being a great deal if you get to go as often as you like. Also, what kind of stuff were you trying to learn? Can get help with specialized and/or more technical stuff? What I would really like is some help with Xcode. Everything I find is either meant for the complete beginner or for someone who is really a professional programmer. I am afraid I fall someplace in between.

You can go once a week. I got it because prior to my MBP purchase I had been using windows only for about 5 years. My previous experience with Macs was back with system 8. Needless to say I needed a little re-training.

I used it to get oriented to Mac OSX, iPhoto, iTunes, Pages and Keynote. The info I got about iPhoto and Keynote was excellent. Those were the sessions I learned the most.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Was this the Genius Bar you went to?

yes it was