Wal-Mart's digital media chief departs for Apple

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
One of the executives behind Wal-Mart's recent push into the digital media download market has left the mega-retailer to help Apple grow its iTunes video business internationally.

Kevin Swint, former divisional manager for digital media at Wal-Mart Stores, will join Apple this week as general manager of international video for iTunes, where he'll be responsible for acquiring movies and TV shows for all non-U.S. countries.

He'll reportedly be seeking licensing deals for both pay-per-download content and timed digital rentals, the latter of which would help see the launch of iTunes Movie Rental services over seas.

Swint's departure from Wal-Mart comes just weeks after the retailer shuttered its much-hyped online video download service and also decided to scale back on its remaining digital music and movie initiatives.

"I am starting at Apple this week and the role is head of video international, but I really shouldn't comment any further," Swint said in an e-mail to MultiChannelNews, confirming his departure from Wal-Mart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Hopefully he doesn't bring along the Wal-Mart cooties.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Gee, given Walmart's success both with media downloads and with international expansion, this is terrific news for Apple. For me to poop on.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Gee, given Walmart's success both with media downloads and with international expansion, this is terrific news for Apple. For me to poop on.

Hey - whats the pessimism for ? There is nothing available now - which means that things CAN only get better. As nothing can be as bad as nothing - which is the rough situation for any other country then the the US of A
  • Reply 4 of 15
    iTunes Movie Rentals overseas? It would be great if Apple got themselves organised and brought iTunes to other parts of the world, namely Singapore :-(
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'm surprised Wal Mart is giving up on digital media- I figured they would undercut everyone as they usually do. Really though- it seems weird they just gave up on it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    It's probably hard to underpay computer people.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple's management will make sure of that.

It's high time Apple took the rest of the world seriously.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Nice career move, Wal-mart to Apple iTunes ;~)

My guess for the Wal-mart digital download shut-down is that they just aren't that kind of a company. Whoever checks Wal-mart online? It would take an awful lot more than just setting up a digital service to make such a project swing.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

AGREED !

I sure hope this guy has got something going for him other than the WalMart tag. As Divisional Manager, he obviously didn't exceed any sales goals at WalMart.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    You guys don't understand the influence Wal*Mart has in music and video sales. Wal*Mart and Target are the top two retailers of this kind of product in the world. Apple getting one of their execs is not insignificant.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You guys don't understand the influence Wal*Mart has in music and video sales. Wal*Mart and Target are the top two retailers of this kind of product in the world. Apple getting one of their execs is not insignificant.

In physical sales, yes, but this guy was head of ONLINE sales, which have been terrible for Wal-Mart: a bad system with bad results. That could be a result of the technology used, and the fact that the typical Wal-Mart shopper is probably not too tech-savvy, and probably not inclined to buy much online (compared to Apple, Amazon, etc. customers). This new job is for acquiring international content, which he may be good at (we hope).

"I am starting at Apple this week and the role is head of video international, but I really shouldn't comment any further," Swint said.

Sounds like he's already read his Apple employee manual.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wal-Mart's digital media chief departs for Apple

I guess the "Wal-Mart" part of this title is the most interesting thing to US residents. To the rest of the world, "Apple employs new manager for international itunes video" is far more interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

In physical sales, yes, but this guy was head of ONLINE sales, which have been terrible for Wal-Mart: a bad system with bad results. That could be a result of the technology used, and the fact that the typical Wal-Mart shopper is probably not too tech-savvy, and probably not inclined to buy much online (compared to Apple, Amazon, etc. customers). This new job is for acquiring international content, which he may be good at (we hope).

"I am starting at Apple this week and the role is head of video international, but I really shouldn't comment any further," Swint said.

Sounds like he's already read his Apple employee manual.

I would be slow to evaluate the Wal*Mart connection too quickly. Just because you head a division doesn't mean the CEO, CIO & CFO give you their full support, let alone the Board. Like others have said there is a large up-front investment to be able to do large-scale streaming online sales, and Wal*Mart has a history of wanting to do process on-the-cheap.

It's quite plausible the decision-makers & board, started thinking cheap and easy, made the PR splash and then got hit with reality. I would think Apple's track record on hires would indicate the due-diligence indicates something like this. No free ride though, the new gent may not have run things as well as they should have causing premature death of the division.

The only way to tell for sure is watch how iTunes video international performs over the next two years or so.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Two words for the future: Bolly-Wood
  • Reply 15 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Kevin first order of business, rentals in canada.