How to Get .mpegs to Work/Run on MB Pro?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just made the switch... PC to Mac and lovin' it. My PC data has been transferred to my Mac and the Windows .wmv files tuned into .mpeg files and the Mac OS won't open them. Ugh. Now what? Remember, I'm a newbie and not all that computer savvie. I'm looking for the next step - something easy.

Thanks in advance.

PS

I was at an Apple Store last night having a One to One class and played with a MacBook Air for a little while. Biggest take-away is this: it's even thinner and lighter than I had imagined. Truly amazing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcamp View Post

I just made the switch... PC to Mac and lovin' it. My PC data has been transferred to my Mac and the Windows .wmv files tuned into .mpeg files and the Mac OS won't open them. Ugh. Now what? Remember, I'm a newbie and not all that computer savvie. I'm looking for the next step - something easy.

You just need some QuickTime extensions:

Perian

Flip4Mac

All you have to do is to download the corresponding .dmg files, open them by double-cliking (if they do not open automatically, it depends) and launch the installers you will find there in. Actually what double-cliking does in this case is to mount on your desktop the corresponding disk images and display in a Finder window their content.

You then follow the on-screen instructions but you will need an administrator password. When finished, you can eject the disk images that are mounted on your desktop by selecting them and pressing cmd-e or by dragging them on the trash icon (look in the Dock for this) or by clicking the eject button visible to the right of their names under the Devices section in a Finder window. After that you can delete the .dmg files.

QuickTime should be able to play your video files now.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I forgot to mention that you can try your files in VLC too. It is a nice player that supports most of the existing video formats.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcamp View Post

... .wmv files tuned into .mpeg files ...

Exactly what is meant here?... how did you go about transcoding these? (assuming "tuned" was meant to be "turned".)

Like someone else mentioned, QuickTime player will play .wmv files with an appropriate 3rd party plug in installed.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Exactly what is meant here?... how did you go about transcoding these? (assuming "tuned" was meant to be "turned".)

Like someone else mentioned, QuickTime player will play .wmv files with an appropriate 3rd party plug in installed.

Sorry 'bout the typo. Yes, this switch from .wmv to .meg happened automatically. The total data transfer was done at the Apple Store.