Safari or Firefox

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

As a general proposition, this is not true. One each Mac that I have tried, all browsers are roughly equal in speed. If you see a dramatic speed difference in your setup, then it is an issue that is specific to your setup.

Whatever you say. The benchmarks indicate that Safari is either faster or uses less memory. Wired clams that Firefox is slightly better for running Google Web Apps, but otherwise Safari blows it out of the water.

Here's one for the Windows Beta of Safari that shows a speed bonus.

Here's one on a mac mini that shows the memory usage.

The speed comparisons seem to have more to do with the pages you visit than the setup you have, but the only comprehensive test I've found (top) shows a healthy speed bonus. Whatever. I'm not trying to stop you from using Firefox, but unlike its namesake it's clearly not built with an emphasis on speed.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    I use safari, i find it much faster than fire fox, and i prefer the nice clean and simple look that it has.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Safari is my main browser but I do sometimes use Firefox for those few sites that don't play nice with Safari. I guess the reason I prefer Safari is I'm more used to it.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Safari is my main browser but I do sometimes use Firefox for those few sites that don't play nice with Safari.

Yeah like digg , what a fucking shambles that is right now. Easy knowing what fucking browser Rose uses, joke.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Just download and try both. As said before you don't really have to choose since both browsers are free.

I prefer using firefox because of the options it gives me. I can basically customize everything I want, be it the looks or the functionality. I haven't noticed any of the "slowness" in comparison to safari that apple's marketing-division want's me to notice, but that might just be my system that's slow in general

I'm typing this in firefox 3 beta 2, and I'm happy to report the download manager and some of the other stuff you are promoting in safari is all here, and it seems to work smooth

but as a final note, I must admit that my firefox is redesigned ( or at least the 2.something version was) to look like safari
  • Reply 26 of 67
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Whatever you say. The benchmarks indicate that Safari is either faster or uses less memory. Wired clams that Firefox is slightly better for running Google Web Apps, but otherwise Safari blows it out of the water.

You have to be kidding. First off, the comparison is between an obsolete version of Safari and an obsolete version of Firefox. That said, the only significant difference is in "cold start" speed--whatever that means. In the three website benchmarks, Safari 2.0.4 loads google.com.au, digg.com, and abc.net.au in 2.0s, 4.5s, and 1.8s, respectively. On the same sites, Firefox 2.0 loads the same sites in 2.0s, 4.7s, and 1.7s, respectively. Other the three site benchmarks, in one they are exactly even; in the second, Safari is 0.2s faster; and in the third, Firefox is 0.1s faster.

This shows the folly of wanking-off to benchmarks. If you make decisions based on timing differences of 0.2 seconds or less, then you need to drive down to your nearest big-box discount store and get a life.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Opera.

I use the 9.5 betas on my PC laptop and Mini, and it flys - as fast as Safari, but with more features. I do also use FF, but usually only for a few particular extensions. I like Camino too, as it's more Macish, but doesn't support any standard FF extenstions.

I personally have no love of Safari. It's fast, but I hate how it behaves on all my computers.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This shows the folly of wanking-off to benchmarks. If you make decisions based on timing differences of 0.2 seconds or less, then you need to drive down to your nearest big-box discount store and get a life.

Why are you so upset? Do you contribute to Firefox or something? The first link is current and shows a much better figure than 0.2s. THe second was for completeness and memory use. Both webpages took Google about 0.2s seconds to find, so I assure you that I am neither "wanking off to benchmarks" or in some dire need of "a life."

Plus, 8s start up is fucking annoying. Especially in Windows, when I'm never sure if it's just slow or if Windows failed to receive my mouse click.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    firefox for now since GMAIL AUTO FILL (addresses ) doesn't work with gmail old or new version

HEY GOOGLE FIX THE EMAIL.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Why are you so upset? ...

Within the margin of error, that site's benchmarks confirm my experience. I'm not upset at all. I do think that it is silly to give any significance to time differences that are of the order of the blink of an eye.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    I have used both, even though Safari is faster with its loading speed...

...FIREFOX is definatley more reliable.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    is there an ad blocker for Safari.. that's the only deal breaker for me at the moment
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post

is there an ad blocker for Safari.. that's the only deal breaker for me at the moment

I haven't tried it myself, but a friend recommended it...

SafariBlock

I prefer the way FF handles tabs. I like the look, double click to open a new tab, middle click to close tab, undo close tab (big one), and also it has a lot more add-ons and extensions.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    I didn't see it mentioned, but I use Camino almost all the time. Seems to render as fast as Safari. I don't even have Firefox on my Macbook Air at the moment.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    I use Safari about 70%, Camino 25%, and Firefox 5%.

Pleased with Safari and Camino, sometimes frustrated by Firefox on how it renders. But I like controlling iTunes through FoxyTunes.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    safari
  • Reply 37 of 67
    We use Safari for both Mac and windows. It renders the best and is the quickest.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    http://www.opera.com

I love to use this browser.

and it does have a Mac version.

have a look.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    safari (3.0.4)has been having problems with gmail, not autofilling the addresses

firefox works, so until safari can deal with gmail, i use firefox, but prefer safari
  • Reply 40 of 67
    I've used Firefox since its public release, but I have to say, I haven't even downloaded it on my new Macbook. I use Safari exclusively now...even on my Windows box.

But, just try both out and see what you personally like.