Chimera is dying. I feel like crying..

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
<a href="http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=51330&cid=0&pid=0&startat=&thresho ld=1&mode=nested&commentsort=0&op=Change" target="_blank">slashdot article link</a>

I love this browser. I hope that at least it makes it to its v1.0 birthday.

[insert tearful emoticon here]

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I fixed your link. Though, it only pointed to the comments. The original post is <a href="http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/20/1538201&tid=95"; target="_blank">here</a>.

This doesn't sadden me at all. People that want to write something like Chimera can make just as good a browser (it not better) by using WebCore.

Remember, folks: competition is a good thing. It drives the development of better apps.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    chimera is far from dead.

its an open source browser which means anyone who wants to develop can so. Since it has a large user base i dont think it wouldnt take long before some-one took it on. even if just a couple of people dropped the develpoment of it there would 10 more people willing to jump on the bandwagon.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Why would stopping development be the "conclusion" of these developers? Omni understands how it affects it market and doesn't seem too troubled by Safari, and they make a living off this stuff. They volunteer their time to make this browser, how would Safari affect this avocation? Does that mean open-source can't compete in a free enterprise market?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Won't miss it, hardly ever used it. Used Mozilla before Safari. I'm just sick and tired of incompatible browsers. Hopefully Safari development will be speedy so we at long last have adequate browser on the Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    zmenchzmench Posts: 126member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>I fixed your link. Though, it only pointed to the comments. The original post is <a href="http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/20/1538201&tid=95"; target="_blank">here</a>.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks Brad.

Perhaps a DONATION system can be set up, and all of us who want the development to continue could contribute little cash. I'd pay $5 for Chimera development to continue. 1,000,000/2 x $5 = Enough $$$$ to reach v.1.0?

Oh, what a shity day. Damn you Apple!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    This is not a money issue--it's open-source software. Money ain't gonna help, unless you are a giant corporation willing to take Chimera under its wing.

Frankly there is nothing to damn Apple about. I love Chimera, but Pinkerton is being a wuss and he knows it. Hopefully he will snap out of it after this passes and do his job, OR he'll leave the project and hopefully someone inspired will take over. Time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by zMench:

<strong>Damn you Apple!</strong><hr></blockquote>

No...damn *you*!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    zmenchzmench Posts: 126member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>

No...damn *you*!</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL

Ok. A little itzy bitzy bitty of an over reaction.. Let?s not damn anyone, just yet.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Chimera is dead. Face it.

When Safari gets Chimera's features why use Chimera? It just doesn't have the muscle behind it that Safari does. Safari will eclipse it in a matter of months and we'll all forget about it. Bye.

Chimera's only virtue is fast updates, but then, nightlies are buggy. Bye Chimera.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Chimera is awesome and I think it'll survive. The whole Mozilla project is going to take an immediate setback because of this, but it's for the positive. It's too big and bloated, but it still has the potential to be a universal operating system.

Chimera will continue to benefit from that progress.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member

<strong>People that want to write something like Chimera can make just as good a browser (it not better) by using WebCore.</strong><hr></blockquote>

KHTML isn't nearly as good as Gecko, although it may get there in a while.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I really hope that Chimera keeps on going and keeps inspiring more and better features for itself and to inspire other browsers to keep up. I have used chimera from early on. It was and IS the fastest thing out there. I also use Chimera booster, so this may affect my judgement, but still whoops Safari for now. It has more features, can handle plug-ins better does tabs, etc. I have only had Chimera go down once...and have used it for quite sometime, Safari on the other hand, has quit on me several times. There are sites that Safari cannot handle still. I do agree that now that Apple has Safari, that it will quickly acquire new features...but we all have Chimera to thank. I still use Chimera as my primary browser..and BEG those who develop this to PLEASE NOT DISCONTINUE CHIMERA! Variety is the spice of life..and Chimera is the spice that ALL of us Mac users needed to get our web browsing FASTER. Again, PLEASE KEEP DEVELOPING CHIMERA!

(Remember, before Chimera the only choices we really had were: Internet Exploder (Internet Explorer), Nutscrape (Netscape), iHad (iCab) and finally Omnibus (Omniweb) all of which had and still have marginal performance. Omnibus (Omniweb) had the best performance of the lot, but still left ALOT to be desired. Chimera has given the browser wars a kick in the dumper.)

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: tommy_thompson ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 17

<strong>

People that want to write something like Chimera can make just as good a browser (it not better) by using WebCore.

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>

KHTML isn't nearly as good as Gecko, although it may get there in a while.

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

I think Brad's point was that building a Cocoa browser (or any kind web app) from Apple supplied components will be much easier than with the Mozilla components.

In other words building a better browser (whatever that means to the individual developer/user), not a better rendering component.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:

<strong>I think Brad's point was that building a Cocoa browser (or any kind web app) from Apple supplied components will be much easier than with the Mozilla components.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Once the WebKit SDK is out, yes, I can agree.

[quote]<strong>In other words building a better browser (whatever that means to the individual developer/user), not a better rendering component.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But you'll be limited to KHTML as a back-end, which was my point.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think the idea of using KHTML wasn't for its current state (or what was its current state, it's already been much improved by the Safari team's code), but for its potential anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Even though I haven't really used Chimera in two weeks, I really hope it survives. It's still a great browser and should continue to become better.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Chimera's not dead yet. Read the <a href="http://mozpink.blogspot.com/2003_01_01_mozpink_archive.html#87788196"; target="_blank">next day's entry</a> in Pink's blog. Sample:

[quote]It's easy to get sidetracked on the "woe is me, we lost again" tangent (especially if you've been at Netscape for 5+ years), but it's time to get back to why we're doing this at all: because it's fun.<hr></blockquote>

Chalk it up to a moment of despair from one (albeit a major) member of the Chimera project. I'm using and liking Safari these days, but still fire up Chimera from time to time when I *NEED* the tabs; I'm still eager to see the progress of both browsers as they approach 1.0.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: Dr. Pweent ]</p>