Ideas for Future Macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A lot of people want a new Mac that's futuristic and absolutely tricked-out (whatever that means). Well, here's your chance to say what you want for Christmahanukwanzakas.

Let's get started...

Apple should definitely design a "cube" computer that's extremely modular. So modular, in fact, that you can actually purchase new modules and attach them to a special connector on the base unit. No hub would be necessary, because every module has a connector on it. Remember daisy chains? Well, this would be just like that ? except really high-tech.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    i think they should make a small mac just like the one sony has extreme portability and good graphics slide up keyboard maybe or make the screen touch.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    Quote:

Apple should definitely design a "cube" computer that's extremely modular. So modular, in fact, that you can actually purchase new modules and attach them to a special connector on the base unit. No hub would be necessary, because every module has a connector on it. Remember daisy chains? Well, this would be just like that — except really high-tech.

I assume your module means third party hardwares? Cause if it is, you are welcome to read the following comments, if not then you can skip it.

Well here is my tought, as much as we would love to make our own tricked out Mac. We would have to face that in the future, Apple will end up like MSoft. From my opinion, the reason why Vista is having a lot of problems is because of hardware incompatibility. A lot of old hardwares cant be used and MSoft would have real lots of problem making drivers for all those old hardwares.

Apple on the other hand would be able to control the age of their products with new OS (eg: your 4 years old Mac can run Leopard). Why? Cause they have absolute control over their hardware specs. Meaning they can actually test to know the exact minimum spec for Leopard to run and if any hardware related problem were to occur, Apple would be able to fix the problem ASAP and of coarse this means a more stable Leopard or future OSes.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peterjeter26 View Post

i think they should make a small mac just like the one sony has extreme portability and good graphics slide up keyboard maybe or make the screen touch.

Pass.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Well, you've heard this from me before, but I'm in love with the ultra-wide, super-panoramic screen. Not 16:10 (8:5) or 16:9, but 24:10 (12:5) or 26.67:10 (8:3). Apple can develop a line of ultra-widescreen OS X machines. For photo viewing, movie viewing, and ultraproductivity. Using multiple screens improves usability and producitivity. This is just making those multiple screens into one whole screen. If you hook up 2 of these things, it's like having 4 monitors!

iMac 30" ultra-wide

30" 3200x1200 LCD screen (imagine 2 20" 1600x1200 screens)

2.8 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM; 4 full sized DIMM slots

256 MB discreet graphics

500 GB; 2 HDD slots for up to 2 TB

USB2/3, Firewire 400/800/3200, Mini-DVI, iSight, SuperDrive

WiFi, Bluetooth, Giga-Ethernet

$2299

Ultimate entertainment and productivity machine

iMac 24" ultra-wide

24" 2400x900 LCD screen

2.4 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo

Same everythign else

$1599

Somwhat affordable entertainment and productivity machine (note the 24" 1920x1200 screen has a larger screen)

30" 3200x1200 ultra-wide LCD Monitor

$1299

24" 2400x900 ultra-wide LCD Monitor

$699

For those who have Mac minis, desktops, laptops and need another screen etc. Not the current 24" and 30" screens are larger than these.

Macbook 12" Ultrawide

12" 1280x480 ultra-wide LCD

12" x 5" x 0.75" inch clamshell, 2 lbs

1.8 GHz Silverthorne (2-way SMT!)

1 GB memory (1 SO-DIMM)

Intel integrated graphics

1.8" 60 GB drive

2 USB ports, micro-DVI, audio in/out

HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth

Full-sized keyboard and the Apple mouse micro-trackball for pointing

$799

For users who are even more mobile than MBA users

iPod touch 6" ultrawide

6" 960x360 multi-touch LCD screen

6" x 2.5" x 0.5" form factor; 0.4 lbs (can slip into a coat/pants pocket)

1.6 GHz Moorestown (2-way SMT!)

512 MB RAM

32 GB storage

HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS

iPod connector, USB connector

Audio/Video out, speaker

$699

Apple's halo MID platform.

iPhone 4" ultrawide

4" 640x240 multi-touch LCD screen

4.4" x 1.8" x 0.5" form factor; 0.3 lbs

600 MHz ARM11

256 MB RAM

16 GB storage

HSPA/EDGE/GPS

$499

For those who want a phone that actually fits in the back pants pocket.

To get back to merely out in left field, compared to ultra-wide foul territory:

Updated 20" and 24" dual/quad-core iMacs would slot into the $1000 and $1799 price points. Apple would update the iPhone to 3.8", 16 GB and HSPA for $399, and come out with a 3" iPhone nano (for those who want a cell phone sized phone, as opposed to smartphone) with 8 GB and EDGE for $249.

The sky is the limit in terms of design. Apple mind as well upgrade the Mac mini to 2 GHz Core 2 Duo while they are at it. And drop the price to $499. And drop the price of an upgraded 20" 16:10 LCD to $399, at least. It's amazing one can't get an entire computer (be it desktop w/monitor, mouse & keyboard or laptop) for something like $800 from them. Apple doesn't sell low end computers.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roostajoe View Post

A lot of people want a new Mac that's futuristic and absolutely tricked-out (whatever that means). Well, here's your chance to say what you want for Christmahanukwanzakas.

Let's get started...

Apple should definitely design a "cube" computer that's extremely modular. So modular, in fact, that you can actually purchase new modules and attach them to a special connector on the base unit. No hub would be necessary, because every module has a connector on it. Remember daisy chains? Well, this would be just like that ? except really high-tech.

Why would they do this when they can get you to spend all the money at once? The only computers they offer in any sort of modular form are the Mac Pro and Mac Mini, which are also the ones they sell the least of. People are buying iMacs - the very opposite of what you suggest - as quickly as Apple can make them, so where is the pressure for the device you describe?
  • Reply 6 of 76
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Well, you've heard this from me before, but I'm in love with the ultra-wide, super-panoramic screen. Not 16:10 (8:5) or 16:9, but 24:10 (12:5) or 26.67:10 (8:3). Apple can develop a line of ultra-widescreen OS X machines. For photo viewing, movie viewing, and ultraproductivity.

The iMac Cinerama!
  • Reply 7 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Why would they do this when they can get you to spend all the money at once? The only computers they offer in any sort of modular form are the Mac Pro and Mac Mini, which are also the ones they sell the least of. People are buying iMacs - the very opposite of what you suggest - as quickly as Apple can make them, so where is the pressure for the device you describe?

Because Apple doesn't sell a normal desktop only a workstation and a small cripled little laptop without screen .... so what would you buy when you need a "desktop".

The iMac is not the "best" solution - it is only the best of the worst.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Quote:

iMac 30" ultra-wide

30" 3200x1200 LCD screen (imagine 2 20" 1600x1200 screens)

2.8 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM; 4 full sized DIMM slots

256 MB discreet graphics

500 GB; 2 HDD slots for up to 2 TB

USB2/3, Firewire 400/800/3200, Mini-DVI, iSight, SuperDrive

WiFi, Bluetooth, Giga-Ethernet

$2299

Ultimate entertainment and productivity machine

iMac 24" ultra-wide

24" 2400x900 LCD screen

2.4 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo

Same everythign else

$1599

Somwhat affordable entertainment and productivity machine (note the 24" 1920x1200 screen has a larger screen)

30" 3200x1200 ultra-wide LCD Monitor

$1299

24" 2400x900 ultra-wide LCD Monitor

$699

For those who have Mac minis, desktops, laptops and need another screen etc. Not the current 24" and 30" screens are larger than these.

Macbook 12" Ultrawide

12" 1280x480 ultra-wide LCD

12" x 5" x 0.75" inch clamshell, 2 lbs

1.8 GHz Silverthorne (2-way SMT!)

1 GB memory (1 SO-DIMM)

1.8" 60 GB drive

2 USB ports, micro-DVI, audio in/out

HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth

Full-sized keyboard and the Apple mouse micro-trackball for pointing

$799

For users who are even more mobile than MBA users

iPod touch 6" ultrawide

6" 960x360 multi-touch LCD screen

6" x 2.5" x 0.5" form factor; 0.4 lbs (can slip into a coat/pants pocket)

1.6 GHz Moorestown (2-way SMT!)

512 MB RAM

32 GB storage

HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS

iPod connector, USB connector

Audio/Video out, speaker

$699

Apple's halo MID platform.

iPhone 4" ultrawide

4" 640x240 multi-touch LCD screen

4.4" x 1.8" x 0.5" form factor; 0.3 lbs

600 MHz ARM11

256 MB RAM

16 GB storage

HSPA/EDGE/GPS

$499

Wow, you have tought a lot bout the specs .
  • Reply 9 of 76
    11" MacBook Air.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by firevsh2o View Post

Because Apple doesn't sell a normal desktop only a workstation and a small cripled little laptop without screen .... so what would you buy when you need a "desktop".

The iMac is not the "best" solution - it is only the best of the worst.

I wouldn't have said this quite as bluntly as you did, but yes.

Unfortunately, this is how it is and this is how it will stay. No way Apple introduces anything other than AIO consumer desktops except for Mac mini (or Mac mini like future models) that takes small size to the extreme, very extreme.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I wouldn't have said this quite as bluntly as you did, but yes.

Unfortunately, this is how it is and this is how it will stay. No way Apple introduces anything other than AIO consumer desktops except for Mac mini (or Mac mini like future models) that takes small size to the extreme, very extreme.

I wish they would axe the Mac Mini and make the iMac the "base" mac desktop and create a mini tower that is more powerful than the iMac but not as expensive as the Mac Pro...
  • Reply 12 of 76
    How about they release the version of the Macbook Pro already?!?!?!?!?!? How's that for a great idea for a new Mac?!?!?
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I wish they would axe the Mac Mini and make the iMac the "base" mac desktop and create a mini tower that is more powerful than the iMac but not as expensive as the Mac Pro...

Here here.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Why should they axe the mini to make your Mini "cube" tower?

The mini is perfect for many applications. My self included.

There room for more Macs in the line up. Just look at the air.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Well, form factor is not really important to me. If apple could put the current power of MacPro into macmini size i would not mind getting that.

The trouble is recent tech is moving rather slow compare to software that are pushing the limits.

We have games that even next generation card would not be able to play at maximum setting.

We have video 1080P 20+ Mbit H.264 that could barely play with current Mac.

Hard Disk are growing far slower then our Information oweing habit.

Software that eat all of 2Gb memory for breakfast.

And since apple now uses 90% mobile parts for all Mac. Therefore the future of Mac would be same as PC technology wise.

Just different enclosure.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post

Here here.

The phrase is "Hear! Hear!" Look it up.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

Why should they axe the mini to make your Mini "cube" tower?

The mini is perfect for many applications. My self included.

There room for more Macs in the line up. Just look at the air.

A couple of things:

First, I never said anything about a "cube". The term "mini tower" is used throughout the industry as any tower smaller than something the size of say the Mac Pro. What I was talking about was something that would make the iMac the base Mac desktop and would be more powerful than a desktop with laptop spec's (not to mention upgradable) and less expensive than the Mac Pro with it's 8 core Xenon processor.

Second, when referring to yourself as "myself", there is no space.

Third, Fine! Keep the Mini and make another tower! I don't care! I just want there to be a Mac desktop that gives you the option of upgrading more than the RAM.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

11" MacBook Air.

WTF? Are you on crack? That would make the MBA only marginally smaller than the current model and would only sacrifice viewable screen area for a fractional weight drop.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:

WTF? Are you on crack? That would make the MBA only marginally smaller than the current model and would only sacrifice viewable screen area for a fractional weight drop.

Well, people have different needs. Other laptop vendors have tens of models. Apple only has 4: 13.3" Macbook, 13.3" Macbook air, 15.4" Macbook Pro, and 17" Macbook Pro. They do this as "good" business practice. If they want to continue to expand marketshare, it is inevitable for them to continue to create machines that cater to other niches.

Like in the other thread: With the gigantic variation in user wants and needs out there, Apple needs to have a 3" iPhone, 3" iPod touch, 3.8" iPod touch, 3.8" iPhone, 5" iPhone, 6" iPod touch, 7" OS X tablet, 8" OS X tablet, 9" MacBook halfbook, 10" OS X tablet, 10" MacBook halfbook, 11" MacBook air, 12" MacBook, 12" MacBook Pro, 13.3" MacBook, 13.3" MacBook air, 14.1" MacBook, 15" MacBook, 15.4" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, and 19" MacBook HD, and 21" MacBook Enormous (with 2560x1600 pixels!).

For various reasons, Apple is highly unlikely to enter a lot of these niches though, no matter how much we wish them to. For instance, the sub-$800 laptop market (13.3" screen or so) will likely be ignored by Apple for a long time. Just not enough margin.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Well, people have different needs. Other laptop vendors have tens of models. Apple only has 4: 13.3" Macbook, 13.3" Macbook air, 15.4" Macbook Pro, and 17" Macbook Pro. They do this as "good" business practice. If they want to continue to expand marketshare, it is inevitable for them to continue to create machines that cater to other niches.

Like in the other thread: With the gigantic variation in user wants and needs out there, Apple needs to have a 3" iPhone, 3" iPod touch, 3.8" iPod touch, 3.8" iPhone, 5" iPhone, 6" iPod touch, 7" OS X tablet, 8" OS X tablet, 9" MacBook halfbook, 10" OS X tablet, 10" MacBook halfbook, 11" MacBook air, 12" MacBook, 12" MacBook Pro, 13.3" MacBook, 13.3" MacBook air, 14.1" MacBook, 15" MacBook, 15.4" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, and 19" MacBook HD, and 21" MacBook Enormous (with 2560x1600 pixels!).

For various reasons, Apple is highly unlikely to enter a lot of these niches though, no matter how much we wish them to. For instance, the sub-$800 laptop market (13.3" screen or so) will likely be ignored by Apple for a long time. Just not enough margin.

And thats the reason Apple is different in GOOD way. They don't have a dizzying array of 45 different notebook configurations in different sizes (11.5",13.3",14.4",15", etc) and a confusing naming system (Macbook V-series ef4300i, Macbook VS-series kf4380i, Macbook ef4920i-z, etc...)

Apple doesn't need to enter the sub $800 market and start making crap. The bottom-feeders can fight over those scraps. Apple will revolutionize the sub $800 notebook market though, by having iPhones and iPod touches making them obsolete for a cheaper price! Besides, whens the last time you went to Best Buy and actually saw a sub $800 notebook worth buying that wasn't on-sale, a demo model, or on clearance from yesteryear? Usually there is no more than 3 available and they all SUCK hardcore.