Apple releases QuickTime 7.4.1 for Leopard, Tiger and Panther

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released QuickTime 7.4.1, a recommended security update for all users of QuickTime 7.0 running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.4.9 Tiger, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther, Windows XP SP2, and Windows Vista.

The software update patches a vulnerability where visiting a malicious website could lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution.

"A heap buffer overflow exists in QuickTime's handling of HTTP responses when RTSP tunneling is enabled," Apple said. "By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted webpage, an attacker may cause an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution."

QuickTime 7.4.1 addresses the issue through improved bounds checking.

The update is available as 55.5MB download for Leopard, a 51.7MB download for Tiger, a 50.4MB download for Panther, and a 22.3MB download for Windows Vista or XP SP2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is Apple getting sloppy with it's update sizes? Before the update my QT was 26MB, after it is 29MB. Are they really changing that much in associated frameworks?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    It's likely they're changing one or maybe two lines of code, so these huge patches are certainly overkill... They could patch it in like 5kb...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I find it odd that the Mac updates are more than twice the size of the Windows one. I know we have two processor architectures to support, but that doesn't explain the extra size. Plus Windows QT implements non-native UI so it should be bigger than the Mac version.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I find it odd that the Mac updates are more than twice the size of the Windows one. I know we have two processor architectures to support, but that doesn't explain the extra size. Plus Windows QT implements non-native UI so it should be bigger than the Mac version.

There are four: 32-bit PPC, 64-bit PPC, 32-bit-Intel and 64-bit Intel. But that still doesn't account for the size.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But that still doesn't account for the size.

The Mac OS is just more endowed.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

The Mac OS is just more endowed.

• Reply 7 of 23
    I just (1.5 hours ago) installed this update on my PB G4 12 and Intel Mini, both on Leopard. No probs with the PB but the Mini just hung after I clicked restart. For over an hour I just had my desktop, no menu bar or icons, and an arrow mouse cursor. I finally figured I'd restart as something was amiss (the PB G4 took <5 mins for the whole process). Now I just get a dos-like screen saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key." On inserting a boot disk and pressing any key I get bupkis, nada, nothing. Just that damn sentence staring back at me.

Hopefully my experience is isolated.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dopplerd View Post

I just (1.5 hours ago) installed this update on my PB G4 12 and Intel Mini, both on Leopard. No probs with the PB but the Mini just hung after I clicked restart. For over an hour I just had my desktop, no menu bar or icons, and an arrow mouse cursor. I finally figured I'd restart as something was amiss (the PB G4 took <5 mins for the whole process). Now I just get a dos-like screen saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key." On inserting a boot disk and pressing any key I get bupkis, nada, nothing. Just that damn sentence staring back at me.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Have you tried inserting the restore disc and holding down the 'C' key while restarting. If you can, enter Disk Utility from the Tools and verify the disk.

If not, I hope you are using Time Machine or some backup system.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Had it happen on another update on my iBook G4, had to reload...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you tried inserting the restore disc and holding down the 'C' key while restarting. If you can, enter Disk Utility from the Tools and verify the disk.

If not, I hope you are using Time Machine or some backup system.

I did finally get to boot to cd holding down "c" on startup. I did not want to reinstall so I restarted with the 10.5.1 HD selected as startup. This time it did boot to the log in screen. I enter my password and get the setup utility (that thing that runs the first time you boot after install the first time), really odd! I quit the setup and it kicks me back to the login. So I enter all the stuff in set up thinking if I jump through its hoops I'll be OK. WRONG. After I go through all the setup assistant BS I get kicked back to the login screen again. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

I did finally get to boot to cd holding down "c" on startup. I did not want to reinstall so I restarted with the 10.5.1 HD selected as startup. This time it did boot to the log in screen. I enter my password and get the setup utility (that thing that runs the first time you boot after install the first time), really odd! I quit the setup and it kicks me back to the login. So I enter all the stuff in set up thinking if I jump through its hoops I'll be OK. WRONG. After I go through all the setup assistant BS I get kicked back to the login screen again. Any thoughts?

First, try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306998

The Setup Assistance is just a simple yes/no?or thereabouts?toggle in a text file.

If the hint above doesn't work put in you System Disk, hold down the 'C'. When it asks you to choose a langauge choose the appropriate one. This will not erase or install anything at this point. You will now have a Menu Bar. Choose Disk Utility from Tools and Verify the Disk. If the Verification fails then Reair. Also repair the Permissions while you are there (that isn't your problem, but they might be wonky).
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Same thing happened with my iBook I mentioned above
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Weirdest thing happened... After going through the endless loop of quitting the setup assistant a few times. I went back to the login screen and clicked shut down to deal with the broken computer tomorrow. As soon as I clicked shut down the "Installing Software" window pops up and the QT update runs through and the computer shuts down. Upon restart everything is OK. While all my stuff is backed up it is a huge relief to not have to go through the install process.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jon
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Weirdest thing happened... After going through the endless loop of quitting the setup assistant a few times. I went back to the login screen and clicked shut down to deal with the broken computer tomorrow. As soon as I clicked shut down the "Installing Software" window pops up and the QT update runs through and the computer shuts down. Upon restart everything is OK. While all my stuff is backed up it is a huge relief to not have to go through the install process.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jon

That sounds like step two of the hint I posted from Apple.

So far, I'm liking this new installation process with Leopard.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    And they still can't manage to fix whatever is causing the dock to pop up after a few minutes of going into fullscreen mode.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

And they still can't manage to fix whatever is causing the dock to pop up after a few minutes of going into fullscreen mode.

We've only had one update to Leopard so far.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    DON'T INSTALL THIS! If, like me, you're on a PPC G5 iMac, 10.4.11.

Lost audio on numerous audio-inclusive programs, including http://youtube.com/, and on SoundSlide site pages, as on my own page <http://georgewidman.com/>. Page will not load! (Other parts will.)

Regardless of browser or OS. Confirmed that pages work on IE, Firefox, and Safari on Windoze OS and on Mac 10.4.11 w/o the "upgrade."

In fairness to Apple, 10.4.11 was NOT listed on the install-needed page, and I should have NOT INSTALLED it.

Any thoughts on how to restore things?

Thanks,

George Widman

Philadelphia
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by George Widman View Post

DON'T INSTALL THIS! If, like me, you're on a PPC G5 iMac, 10.4.11.

In fairness to Apple, 10.4.11 was NOT listed on the install-needed page, and I should have NOT INSTALLED it.

You are running Tiger so you are on the install list.
    Try downloading and installing it again. That often works with a wonky install.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Since the update, I've been occasionally hearing some quiet tones coming out of my speakers. They come and go. It sounds like I'm taking a hearing test.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Mac Pro 8-core 3GHz