should I buy or wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello

I would like some advice on buying the MBA. I have read all the reviews and feel I would like the MBA. I currently have a toshiba 1.6ghz with 2mb of ram but my wife bought a MB earlier and it runs a lot better and more intuitively than my pc. I feel that even if it is a minor difference due to os and a slightly higher speed, I would like it. I am a law student and the specs on the MBA seem like they would fit me fine. I was thinking of the 1.8 with the HHD. This configuration is available online and is A LOT cheaper than the SSD.

1) would this be considered a "first gen" model and as such should I wait for the bugs to get worked out?

2) What is everyones feeling on if mac is quickly going to come out with a more updated MBA with possibly better specs or a lower price?

I.E. Should I buy the mba now or wait 6 months to make sure the bugs get worked out and see if apple ups the specs?

Thanks for helping a newbie

Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Well depends.

if you can wait 6 months. think to your self do you really need it at all.

but if you want one. IMO i think it will be a 9months to a year for a update.

(new tech, shrunk)

i think when they update it. it will be both higher specs and lower price.

im not too sure. too early to tell.

this is just speculation

~Regards

Name101
  • Reply 2 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

Hello

I would like some advice on buying the MBA. I have read all the reviews and feel I would like the MBA.

Nothing to feel here either you need it or you don't.

Quote:

I currently have a toshiba 1.6ghz with 2mb of ram but my wife bought a MB earlier and it runs a lot better and more intuitively than my pc. I feel that even if it is a minor difference due to os and a slightly higher speed, I would like it. I am a law student and the specs on the MBA seem like they would fit me fine.

The bigger question is how does your interests as a law student jive with available software? I simply don't know because I'm not a lawyer. Best to research this first.

in any event MBA is slower that a MacBook by a considerable margin. Don't expect it to perform like a MacBook.

Quote:

I was thinking of the 1.8 with the HHD. This configuration is available online and is A LOT cheaper than the SSD.

I look at it this way you are a student and you want to blow money on a MacBook Air. Frankly I see this as a bad investment, I'd look at a MacBook first. After all you will need a lot of money to buy book cases for all those law books you will need to buy.

Quote:

1) would this be considered a "first gen" model and as such should I wait for the bugs to get worked out?

PERSONAL ATTACK DELETED

2) What is everyones feeling on if mac is quickly going to come out with a more updated MBA with possibly better specs or a lower price?

You are kidding right? Its been like what 3 weeks. I believe that Apple will have to rev the AIR sooner than they would like simply to address its short comings. But how soon that will happen depends entirely on how quickly sales tank.

On the oft chance that sales take off It would likely be close to a year before a rev.

Quote:

I.E. Should I buy the mba now or wait 6 months to make sure the bugs get worked out and see if apple ups the specs?

I don't beleive the AIR in its current form is suitable for a Student period, end of story, end of discussion!!!!

Quote:

Thanks for helping a newbie

Adam

I hope I haven't been to course here but this post kinda blows my mind considering the intensive debate over the AIR utility. You should really read up on the machine more and also Apple as company. Unless you have endless money for college and a high tolerance to AIR's short coming you should look else where.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

What bugs?

I got the first generation PB G4 17" (the first aluminum laptop), and it still works flawlessly since I bought it in 2003.

And doesn't Apple provide a warranty for their products if something goes wrong?

"Prototype" is not the word I would use for it as some are erroneously referring to it. It is innovative and you will see the technology advancements propagate to their other lines.

If you wait, you will be waiting a while...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If your waiting for an update you'll be waiting for a long time. It's brand new. the general idea is buy now when they are new. Not wait, and then wait next time, and the time after that because a new one will always be coming out in 9 to 12 months. There are people in here that do that all the time. I'm waiting for this processor, and then intel will start working on a new processor, and the processor they wanted the first time comes out, and now they are waiting for the next one. and so on, and so on... .... ... ... it's an endless cycle of stupidity.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ragsrags Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

isn't that a bit of a stupid question? Not to be rude but as a lawyer you need to deduce things like this...

... You are kidding right? ...

... I don't beleive the AIR in its current form is suitable for a Student period, end of story, end of discussion!!!! ...

... I hope I haven't been to course here but this post kinda blows my mind considering the intensive debate over the AIR utility...

... You should really read up on the machine more and also Apple as company. Unless you have endless money for college and a high tolerance to AIR's short coming you should look else where.

Dave

such an asshole!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TripleCore View Post

What bugs?

I got the first generation PB G4 17" (the first aluminum laptop), and it still works flawlessly since I bought it in 2003.

And doesn't Apple provide a warranty for their products if something goes wrong?

"Prototype" is not the word I would use for it as some are erroneously referring to it. It is innovative and you will see the technology advancements propagate to their other lines.

Whereas I got the G4 PB 15" when it first came out. It has the white blotches that were fixed with later releases. So bugs do happen. Besides the Air hasn't been out in the public for a week yet. We haven't had a chance to hear what bugs it might have. You might take a read on the troubles that Macworld had with their test unit. http://www.macworld.com/article/1320...okair_lab.html
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TripleCore View Post

What bugs?

Just about every computer and every bit of software made has bugs. The question is how do they impact your use of the product. Some of these show up at introduction and some take time to surface. One example is the solder joit problem Apple had on a series of notebooks.

Quote:

A good point as Apple is probably the best in the business handling warranties. Still if you want to avoid the need to make use of the warranty then waiting for a product to have a track record might be pretty smart.

Quote:

Innovative yes, there is no doubt at all about that. By the way the LCD screen on this guy is OutStanding!! The bigger question is does the machine have what it takes to make the majority of the users happy.

This is a difficult question to answer, but I'd have to say it has two issues that make the unit hard to accept. One is the lack of ports the other is the built in battery. I really suspect that Apple could deal with the ports issue rather easily in a Rev B. The built in battery is likely a bit more difficult but they should at the very least make servicing such as easy as possible.

Well actually three issues the final being price, it is just to expensive for what you get. Especially when you are in the Apple store looking at the AIR sitting next to a MacBook and you have to wonder what is the justification. In the end the AIR ought to be at the bottom of Apples pricing structure well below Mac Book. All it is selling is skinny and that sin't worth much in my book.

Quote:

This is certain!

I look at the AIR as being a good computer for people with Money to burn. I'd buy one if I hit the lottery for example. If on the other hand you are a more average user the lack of flexibility with the AIR could be a real killer.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 10
    This thread is a duplicate...

The other one is here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=84078

As this discussion is about the Air which is now an actual product, I think the thread over in Current Hardware would be better suited to the discussion.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    You will be happier with Vista! I gaurantee it!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Replying to new members asking for advice, in a rude and condescending manner, is not permitted here.