iPod Nano Speed

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was playing around with the floor model of the iPod Nano at Best Buy and noticed how painfully slow it was compared to the Zune. Is there an update for the nano to improve its speed and the techs from Best Buy didn't bother to update? If that's the case, then I'm buying one this weekend for a VD present... by VD I obviously mean Valentine's Day present... not...

p.s. I just realized that Safari understands the words iPod Nano, but recognizes Zune as a misspelled word.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    What do you mean the "speed is slow?" That the album artwork doesn't load immediately in cover flow view? Or that when you cycle through the albums in cover flow view it seems to go slower than expected? I would class these as idiosyncratic more than any real problem: it's not like the processor the iPod is a core 2 duo. If you don't like the sluggish cover flow, just browse by album and artist.

In many ways, cover flow doesn't make much sense on the Nano. I find that I spend too much time looking at the album art, which makes finding a particular album much slower than if I was just looking at the artist name. Cover Flow looks nice, but I'm not sure that it's an improved interface for finding your music. (and on top of that, it seems that you can't add music to the On-The-Go playlist using coverflow -- so that might be the final straw for me as far as my use of cover flow).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Moreso, it is quite sluggish either way. When I scrolled through the albums and artists it still had some lag to it. The Zune was actually smoother, though the interface was something left to be desired.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Well, I've never seen a Zune (do they even exist?), so I can't comment on relative snappiness/sluggishness. I don't have any problems with the iPod interface. If you do, then go with the Zune.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Dude, lay off the caffeine!

Slow?!

Upgrades? For an iPod?!? \

On a more serious side of the argument. The interface speed is metered to some human interface guideline, just like OS X scrollbars are in free scrolling mode. MS doesn't do that human interface tweak at all, so they look, and act faster, but you end up cursing and wasting more time trying to fix the overshoots.