Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all, i am interested in purchasing an Apple laptop. This will be my first mac. I have compared the specs of the macbook and the macbook pro and what it boils down to for me is the graphics cards. I like playing games like Call of Duty, and i'm not sure if the dedicated graphics can handle the type of caliber games i play. Is it also worth paying $500 more for the high end 15" mbp? Is 2.4 that big of a difference over 2.2?

Thanks,

Tirmenat

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tirmenat View Post

Hello all, i am interested in purchasing an Apple laptop. This will be my first mac. I have compared the specs of the macbook and the macbook pro and what it boils down to for me is the graphics cards. I like playing games like Call of Duty, and i'm not sure if the dedicated graphics can handle the type of caliber games i play. Is it also worth paying $500 more for the high end 15" mbp? Is 2.4 that big of a difference over 2.2?

Thanks,

Tirmenat

No and no.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Is the 256mb graphics card a big difference than the 128mb one?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tirmenat View Post

Is the 256mb graphics card a big difference than the 128mb one?

I don't think so but I'm sure someone else will say yes it is.

If you just want to play COD 2 on the Mac the 128mb video card is fine. I've the old ati x1660 card with 128 mb of memory and play COD 2 just fine.

At this point I would wait as new MBPs are expected at any moment. The base model will probably have a 2.5 ghz penryn cpu which will be 'teh snappy'. It may also get a better video card and more HDD capacity. Many expect it to have the larger track pad and support gestures like the MBA.

It probably will have new features we haven't thought of as well.