Hi Need Advice!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello,

I am new to this site and I want to buy an Apple Computer. I have a Dell it is 10 years old. I know so old and so slow! But I was wondering what do I buy? I use it at home and I am in college so my budget is an issue too. Can you all give me some direction. Thanks!

Lora

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post

Hello,

I am new to this site and I want to buy an Apple Computer. I have a Dell it is 10 years old. I know so old and so slow! But I was wondering what do I buy? I use it at home and I am in college so my budget is an issue too. Can you all give me some direction. Thanks!

Lora

Need more info.

What do you plan to use your computer for? Surfing the net, light word processing, photo editing, or final cut pro? Do you want to play games?

Do you want a desktop of laptop? What's your price range?

Once you decide on the above then the decision is pretty easy.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks for the reply. I have a big old bulky desktop. But I would love a laptop. But is it more expensive? Budget is an issue but I am trying to get a student loan with a parent so I am working on that. I would be using it for school, surfing the net, playing games, word processing. So what do you suggest? Thanks and have a good day!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Need more info.

What do you plan to use your computer for? Surfing the net, light word processing, photo editing, or final cut pro? Do you want to play games?

Do you want a desktop of laptop? What's your price range?

Once you decide on the above then the decision is pretty easy.

• Reply 3 of 6
    In your position I would look for a macbook. It's what I have and love (I'm a PhD student).

As a student you can buy with discount through the online apple store.

ALternatively you might also look through ebay for a used macbook to save some money.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Im currently trying to decide which mac to get as well! ive found it a tricky one and still havent settled!

From what you have said, and with my slowly growing knowledge of all things mac I would say either go for a macbook or get an imac. depends on how portable you want to be. If you went with an iMac you could get an external hard drive and take it between home and college as I think I might do!

Get a basic PC, and then add RAM to it afterwards, that is what I am being told by everyone!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macbook
  • Reply 6 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The Macbook is an excellent choice if you don't want to play games.

If games are important you'll need a MBP or iMac. If the MBP price is higher than you wish to spend look at the refurbished computers at the apple store or get one from ebay.

I believe refurbished MBPs can be bought at the Apple store for $1699. That's a good deal IMO because they come with 2 gbs of RAM standard.