Higher Ed Discount Not what I was expecting

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am at uni and have just accessed the Higher ed UK store and it appears being at Edgehill Uni i am entitled to less than a 10% discount. The imac is £702 instead of £799 for example. Does discount amount depend on the uni you are at??? If so, i am quite dissapointed as this is less discount than I would get using my actual student card . . .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    No, it depends what course you're doing. If you were doing a maths degree it would be a ~12% discount

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ahhh i see! well i am doing an advertising and graphic design degree and use macs 90% of the time. Before anyone slates me as they have done in other forums, i am not shooting a gift horse in the mouth and complaining, i was just intregued as to why some people has claimed to get 30% off when I was just getting little over 10%.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    It always pays to shop around. I did the finger work first (seeking out all the best student and non-student prices as wells as packages) and then, armed with that information, starting visiting a couple of Apple re-sellers.

At one I found that, although their system pricing was the RRP as set by Apple on their educational website, the store would upgrade the RAM considerably cheaper than Apple. And being a licensed Apple agent, not only does this not void the warranty, but it will also be covered by the extended AppleCare programme

Moral: Just because one retailer won't give you the price you want, doesn't mean that all retailers will be that stingy when it comes to selling the same goods.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    These re-sellers, where are they listed and are there many in the UK as I havnt looked at this option yet.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Expect Different
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Expect Different

Sorry, I dont understand what you mean??
  • Reply 7 of 18
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r-41157 View Post

ahhh i see! well i am doing an advertising and graphic design degree and use macs 90% of the time.

I was actually making fun of your arithmetic -- £799 down to £702 is more than 10% off.

I get the same prices as you at Warwick btw.

Amorya
  • Reply 8 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yes, this is a standard looking discount. Converting to US dollars (just for my personal benefit) the price reduced by $191, from 1573 to 1382. 12.14%

Apple's EDU discounts don't typically get better than that. I don't know who was telling you 30% off, but they were selling you a pipe dream.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Ah well, im not a math geek, nor was I thinking about how much % it actually was when I wrote the post. Having a slow moving slide show of Seguras typography work shoved in your face with horrible music, your math skills go down the pan.

Oh, and I got your piss take in the first place but chose to ignore it.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

No, it depends what course you're doing. If you were doing a maths degree it would be a ~12% discount

Amorya

No. Apple's standard educational discount is 10% except on the iPhone and iPods which have no EDU discount. It might be different in the UK, but here in the US it's always 10% regardless of your discipline or your institution. If you're getting more than a 10% discount in the UK, take the money and run.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

No. Apple's standard educational discount is 10% except on the iPhone and iPods which have no EDU discount. It might be different in the UK, but here in the US it's always 10% regardless of your discipline or your institution. If you're getting more than a 10% discount in the UK, take the money and run.

For computers, it's usually $100 or $200 off the the base model (which is sometimes > sometimes < 10%) and then 10% off whatever options you pick (RAM, HD, etc.)
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

These re-sellers, where are they listed and are there many in the UK as I havnt looked at this option yet.

I dunno, I live in New Zealand and therefore any information I posess may not necessarily be of interest to you.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The ed discounts have slowly been getting worse. Originally the iPods had ed discounts - no more. Originally OS prices were close to half off - now they're 10%. Etc.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

The ed discounts have slowly been getting worse. Originally the iPods had ed discounts - no more. Originally OS prices were close to half off - now they're 10%. Etc.

You could still get it for $69 from a college computer store though. I think maybe they got tired of rampant abuse of the software edu discount, and are making it harder to get.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

ahhh i see! well i am doing an advertising and graphic design degree and use macs 90% of the time. Before anyone slates me as they have done in other forums, i am not shooting a gift horse in the mouth and complaining, i was just intregued as to why some people has claimed to get 30% off when I was just getting little over 10%.

Nobody gets 30% off: not even ADC members. The employee discount and the board member discount, I think, are more in line with that. One of the oddities is that he board member discount is huge -- 50% (at least it used to be) -- and none of those guys have any need for a discount.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Nobody gets 30% off: not even ADC members. The employee discount and the board member discount, I think, are more in line with that. One of the oddities is that he board member discount is huge -- 50% (at least it used to be) -- and none of those guys have any need for a discount.

Isn't that the way it is in life. The rich people have the most money and they don't even need money because they are rich!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Isn't that the way it is in life. The rich people have the most money and they don't even need money because they are rich!

Your comment is a circular paradox, but, anyway, what I was more alluding to is that the price of buying frequent, new macs isn't going to prevent anyone on the board from staying current. The rich are entitled to their money, since most of them earned it. Some got lucky, but, as you say, that's life.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Just been to ask some questions in my local apple store and was told that the discount for students on the MBP is 15% in store! RESULT! After the lack of this update I think ill be getting myself the current MBP in a week or so!