FCP upgrade

kkkk
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was just given the upgrade to Final Cut Pro 3 as a gift. Right now I have version 1.25, and the person that gave it to me was told that as long as I had any version of FCP, it would work. I have an older computer and am running OS 9 but plan on getting a new one (OS X). I know FCP 3 will run on both 9 and X, but will this work for me as I am upgrading from 1.25, which only works in 9? I would think I would have to buy the whole app. Sorry for the long question but I don't want to open the box until I know I can keep it. TIA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    FCP 1.25 should run in Classic. FCP 2.x will not. I'm not sure if there are limitations by using it in Classic, but I did try it a while ago and I do remember that it launched fine and edited a movie fine.

The FCP 3 upgrade works on any existing version of FCP dating back to 1.x. The upgrade installer asks (if I recall correctly) if you want to install it for OSX. I upgraded my FCP from an old 1.x version too and didn't have any major problems. Be sure you have all the original CDs handy in case you have to do some swapping or reinstalling.

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Just a minor note to the older FCPs.

If you are running OSX FCP 1 or 1.2 does launch under Classic so that the FCP 3 upgrade installer can validate your copy and install.

But if you have version 2 then that would be a huge problem since version 2 does NOT launch under classic. You must boot from OS 9 to install and launch and register FCP first....then reboot to X and start up classic and then run the version 3 installer.......such a pain

This also will be a huge problem in the next few month when the "new" Power Macs are introduced.....since they wont' allow booting on 9......if they offer some installer helper later that would be fine.....I hope.

On by the way......here's one solution. I did it in person

This is......

Phone Apple that you have lost your CD....pay them a small fee for a replacement CD....they will send you another one that IS the full installer CD....not the upgrade CD so that you won't need the older FCP CD anymore.....that will save you a lot of hassle
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kkkk Posts: 4member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>FCP 1.25 should run in Classic. FCP 2.x will not. I'm not sure if there are limitations by using it in Classic, but I did try it a while ago and I do remember that it launched fine and edited a movie fine.

The FCP 3 upgrade works on any existing version of FCP dating back to 1.x. The upgrade installer asks (if I recall correctly) if you want to install it for OSX. I upgraded my FCP from an old 1.x version too and didn't have any major problems. Be sure you have all the original CDs handy in case you have to do some swapping or reinstalling.

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the quick response! So when you upgraded were you then running in X or in Classic? I'm not sure if there are any limitations either as I have had only limited experience with OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kkkk Posts: 4member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

Phone Apple that you have lost your CD....pay them a small fee for a replacement CD....they will send you another one that IS the full installer CD....not the upgrade CD so that you won't need the older FCP CD anymore.....that will save you a lot of hassle </strong><hr></blockquote>

Really!? How small is that replacemnt fee?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I was charged $50 CDN including mailing cost....

That's like $31.25 US.

It's worth it.....IMO

You have to phone Apple's customer service....tell them to hook you to the Multimedia Department

It took me a whole day to find out this is the department. I don't want anyone to go to the same way that I went

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    I have a FCP question: I am about to find myself with enough capital to purchase FCP 3, but i am wondering if I should wait... is there a FCP 4 on the horizon? i don't want to pay the 300 for FCP 3 just to have to pay 200 for the upgrade to 4 soon.. (those prices are education prices, I'm in college)

anyone with any ideas, please post, i'd love to have advice!

thanks
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by gsfmark:

<strong>I have a FCP question: I am about to find myself with enough capital to purchase FCP 3, but i am wondering if I should wait... is there a FCP 4 on the horizon? i don't want to pay the 300 for FCP 3 just to have to pay 200 for the upgrade to 4 soon.. (those prices are education prices, I'm in college)

anyone with any ideas, please post, i'd love to have advice!

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check out Final Cut Express, if you do not need all the heavy heavy Pro features of FCP... it is much less and the upgrades will probably be less as well...

What I had to do was launch FCP 1 in classic, and upgrade from that, it was a easy thing...man, it would suck to have to do that much for an upgrade from FCP 2... the box is so big for FCP3...really big....really really really big
  • Reply 8 of 8
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    def go with final cut express. its only 150 for edu. and i doubt you really need to do sd or hd editing but if you do well hey thats your perogitive. but from what i understand, fcx will do everything that fcp does when it come to edintg and compositing within fcx. but it does lack most of the export features. just back to dv. i dont know if it has supprt for direct to application exports either. fcp 3.0 does and will let you load stills into photoshop and comp's into after effects or whatever your choice is.