irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    But why would anyone want to do that?
  • Reply 3 of 17

-

• Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

A few reasons: to see it, to see if it works with their iPhone and perhaps to see whether i'm just lying.

Go away
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Go away

No you go away!
  • Reply 6 of 17
  • Reply 7 of 17
    -
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Lets see... I have no idea what that might do to my phone (typing in an odd, possibly destructive key sequence) ... and you are surprised that I haven't "tried" it ???
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Lets see... I have no idea what that might do to my phone (typing in an odd, possibly destructive key sequence) ... and you are surprised that I haven't "tried" it ???

I've just told you what it will do to your phone and i've shown you a photo! It's not going to self-destruct is it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

I've just told you what it will do to your phone and i've shown you a photo! It's not going to self-destruct is it.

And god knows, there's no-one on the internet that would try to steer me wrong... I mean, computer viruses and stuff are all make believe too !
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Bloody hell! Why do you have such a problem!?

• Reply 12 of 17

-

• Reply 13 of 17
    -
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

...If you're paranoid enough to think that i'm trying to tricking you in some way and that tapping a few keys will make your phone 'destruct' then don't do it.

I don't plan to, but, you asked:

Quote:

Really, no ones done it yet?

So I thought I'd enlighten you as to WHY no one's done it yet.

It's not that I have anything against YOU personally, but I tend not to trust anonymous posters on the internet with stuff like the data on my phone/computer. Most devices like the iPhone DO HAVE "secret" codes that can do things like reset the device, or erase the device, or lock the device, or whatever back-door the programmers felt would be fun to put in there.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Try this, i just found it, it makes the icons on the home screen move down slightly, its weird.

On an activated 1.1.3 iPhone with SIM installed:

If you tap any icons they will freeze up, a simple reboot will get it back to normal.

Photos (would have put them on forum but they looked massive):http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3424/p2070113gr8.jpg

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4222/p2070117pm0.jpg

I've tried it and it does what you say. A reboot puts it back to normal. It's a bug but one that not many people will see and there is no point in trying to bring it to Apple's attention.

For anyone that doesn't know, the *#307# combination is a way to get some access to an iPhone that is not activated. It's well known in the jailbreaking community and harmless.

Lastly, the harshness of some here is unwarrented. He is pointing out a real yet obscure bug. From what I can tell, talking about bugs or jailbreaking is not against the posting guidelines.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

I've tried it and it does what you say. A reboot puts it back to normal. It's a bug but one that not many people will see and there is no point in trying to bring it to Apple's attention.

For anyone that doesn't know, the *#307# combination is a way to get some access to an iPhone that is not activated. It's well known in the jailbreaking community and harmless.

Lastly, the harshness of some here is unwarrented. He is pointing out a real yet obscure bug. From what I can tell, talking about bugs or jailbreaking is not against the posting guidelines.

Point taken. Now close the thread.
  • Reply 17 of 17

-