iPod touchy issue!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey people.

I just checked out the new 32gig ipod touch at the apple store. I'm gonna nab me one.

But! Some things got me thinking. Couldn't get a str8 answer from the so called geniuses here...so I'm gonna ask the geniuses at Appleinsider instead. :-)

Ok...one thing i noticed is that the touch still doesn't work with flash sites. Alot of my favorite sites have flash animations, and they won't play on the touch. I know that Steve Jobs just gave developers software for the touch recently. Do you think that flash will play soon on the touch?

Next question. Etrade accounts! I have an etrade account. And although i can log onto my account with the touch...it won't open the live streaming window called "marketcaster". Those of you with an etrade account will know what i'm talking about. I NEED to be able to check live feeds of the stock market and would like to be able to on the touch. I know apple has that stock widget...but thats not live...its delayed by 20 minutes...as is the one on Yahoo.

Anyone know a way to view LIVE stock market quotes on the ipod touch?

Lastly, while fooling around with the ipod touch, I realized, that unlike the regular ipod, you can't scroll thru songs while its in your pocket...you have to take it out and physically look at it to change songs or raise the volume. This only kinda sucks...but its annoying. Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party attachment that would enable you to control the functions while the touch was in your pocket? I remember there used to be a pause/play/rewind button that apple sold that attached to your headphones. Is there one for the touch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I guess that you know new itouch comes with 5 apps (aka January update). one of them is stock apps. you can add yours, and watch live streaming as long as you connect with internet.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Yeah, I know about the new stock app that comes with the new ipod touch...but I believe that is not a real live stock stream. Isn't it like a 20 minute delayed stock stream? This is not good when you are trading stocks. You want to know what a stock is that very second.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I LOVE the iPod Touch and i WILL get one....but there are a couple of things that still bug me that I am trying to find solution to...

1) The whole not being able to show websites that use Adobe Flash thing perplexes me. I hear people saying it's because Flash is a power hungry program that will drain battery power. But Flash is EVERYWHERE on the web. And wasn't it created in the first place BECAUSE it was very simple and used very little memory? Isn't thats why people with slow dial up modems were able to download pages with Flash faster because it was so simple? Also, I am a flash animator, and all my favorite sights and animations are unviewable.

I've also heard that it's not a hardware issue, but rather a software one...in that Adobe and Apple are fighting over legal issue...and Adobe has to make a simpler version of the flash player...but that once they do...all that will be required is a simple download, and your ipod touch will be able to play flash.

Which is true? I hope its a question of a simple download, because I'd hate to buy the new 32gig touch for $500...and then 6 months down the road have Apple say that to play Adobe Flash you'll have to get this NEW ipod touch with different hardware. Any techno geeks out there who know if the hardware in the current ipod touch will be able to run any future Flash player?

2) A minor thing I noticed between the Touch and the regular ipod is obviously the lack of a traditional click wheel. No biggy right? But then I realized how much this will change the way we are used to things. When LOOKING at the devices, I much prefer the touches interactive interface. Its so COOL. They way you scroll through songs extra. But once you put the touch in your pant pocket, you lose ALL ability to control it...unlike the traditional ipod that you can control THROUGH your pants simply by clicking the appropriate area on the clickwheel. This is so convenient when you want to change a song while walking down the street without looking...or if you want to pause or lower the volume when someone comes up to you to ask a question. You don't have to take the ipod out of your pocket and look at it.

With the Touch, you have to take it OUT and look at it. Or take off your headphones if someone comes up to ask you a question. There is no way to pause or lower the volume remotely. I know thats why they call it a "touch"...you have to "touch" it...but The thing that REALLY shocked me is that there isn't even a remote device that you can attach to your headphones that can do this like with the older ipods. That no third party has made one. Is it because the touch screen blocks any other way to control it?

Yeah, the touch has all the song features of the regular ipods like shuffle...but what about when you are in the middle of a song, and want to go back to the beginning of that song? Or to go to another song before that song finishes? With the old ipod in your pocket, you could just click the appropriate area without having to LOOK or take the ipod out of your pocket. I know it sounds lazy, but sometimes you just don't WANT to look or take the ipod out.

What shocks me is that NO remote device is available to control these functions on the Touch and make life easier.

Anyone know why?

Thanks. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

1) The whole not being able to show websites that use Adobe Flash thing perplexes me. I hear people saying it's because Flash is a power hungry program that will drain battery power. But Flash is EVERYWHERE on the web. And wasn't it created in the first place BECAUSE it was very simple and used very little memory? Isn't thats why people with slow dial up modems were able to download pages with Flash faster because it was so simple? Also, I am a flash animator, and all my favorite sights and animations are unviewable.

From personal experience, both in web design and as a long-time dial-up user, flash sites are in no way, shape, or form simpler or easier to download. Simple HTML, CSS, and images load faster any day of the week. Just my 2¢.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    In short: The Touch is not for you right now.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The problemo with E*Trade is that Market Caster runs on Java so it will not run on the iPod. If you want a *live data stream* from E*trade they are coming out with a version of E*Trade Pro for the iPhone and iPod Touch here soon-- but you have to have enough money in your account to get E*Trade Pro or pay the 30 bucks a month for the live feed. *Think or Swim* has a live trading platform for mobile devices out now and is coming out with one just for the iPhone/iPod platform soon.

The current stock app that Apple put out gets it's feed from either Google or Yahoo! and is delayed 20 mins like all other free quotes. Yahoo! charges extra for a live feed but I do not think you can configure your iPod for that.

I think the reason that you cannot get Java or Javascript on the iPod is security. Steve Jobs is being real Steve Jobs about someone hacking into his baby and that is why you don't see third party availability -- yet.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    It's funny how protective Steve Jobs is getting. More frustrating than funny actually...but what ya gonna do?

:-)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Getting?

Where have you been for the past 23 years? This is the man who didn't want arrow keys on the Mac to force people to use the mouse. He's the man who has ixnayed copy and paste on the iPhone/iPod Touch to keep people using the integrated keyboard.

The man is not GETTING protective. He was BORN that way.