Macbook Pro Update Date?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

my friend who works for MAC says the new MACBOOK PROS will be out THIS WEEK!

ROFLROFLROFLROFLOLOLOLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..AHA AHA, YAH IM SURE AHA

I predict that your friend is right.

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 62 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

my friend who works for MAC says the new MACBOOK PROS will be out THIS WEEK!

ROFLROFLROFLROFLOLOLOLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..AHA AHA, YAH IM SURE AHA

NICE!!!
  • Reply 63 of 114
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    I touched my first MacBook Air tonight .... I have to say, it's much nicer in person.

Based on this experience, I'm REALLY hoping that the MBP update has:

* new keyboard -- i hate to say it, but it feels really nice

* multi-touch trackpad -- duh

* new rubber feet -- silly i know, but i lost one off my old powerbook and it totally bummed me out. the new ones on the air seem really solid

* maybe some rounded edges -- really contributes to the solid feeling of the air, would love to have that on the MBP

Think that would be considered a significant case redesign? I hope not, because without that stuff I might be tempted to forego the presumed February update and torture myself with another looong wait until the presumed "real" redesign with Montevina.

ugh.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    I had a play with the Air yesterday, yes it is thin but I really dont think it is worth it at all. My opinion is that the external disc drive you need would equate to the samee sort of weight as a macbook in a carry bag while carting it around, so why pay the premium?? Stil a groovy design though, would love to see some elements of this being brought into the other lines!

Im waiting until tuesday, no update then Im considering waiting until the week after, still no update then im getting a full spec iMac with some accessories, some RAM and an external hard drive to take files etc to and from uni and the waiting for a full redesign of the MBP and getting one then!
  • Reply 65 of 114
    Just realised I answered a post on page 1 by mistake!

QUESTION: What sort of time of day would apple put the updates onto the store etc on Tuesday if it is happening? Will it be US time or UK time and will it be morning noon or night?? Just so I know when to check!
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r-41157 View Post

I had a play with the Air yesterday, yes it is thin but I really dont think it is worth it at all. My opinion is that the external disc drive you need would equate to the samee sort of weight as a macbook in a carry bag while carting it around, so why pay the premium??

The Air + its SuperDrive weigh 3.7 pounds, and the MacBook 5. Such a difference could be important if you travel a lot and/or handle your computer a lot, and in fact is the same difference between the 15- and 17-inch MBPs. But more importantly, the Air is targeted at people that don't need the optical drive much (and will need it even less as time goes by--say 1.5 years from now when they'd presumably still have the Air). My guess is the Air SuperDrive is mostly for people who are gonna leave it at home, since, as you say, it otherwise partially defeats the purpose.

The Air, though, also has an LED screen, a backlit keyboard (useful, again, if you travel a lot), is likely higher quality all around, is more comfortable to handle (say, for use in bed, taking in and out of the bag, etc.) and is certainly nicer. Also, that not-so-justifiable premium is not an issue for people with a lot of money and is a very interesting source of margin (if not now, in the future) for Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    Quote:

QUESTION: What sort of time of day would apple put the updates onto the store etc on Tuesday if it is happening? Will it be US time or UK time and will it be morning noon or night?? Just so I know when to check!

MacRumors has posted the availability of all* of the 6 last non-event product announcements around 8:40 AM EST, which is 13:40 London time (I happen to be in the UK right now). I know I'll be reloading like a crazy person since around 13:30.

*Except the last MB update, which was 05:08 AM EST.
  • Reply 68 of 114
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    I bought the original MacBook Pro in March 2006. I ordered the 1.8 GHz and apple upgraded and shipped a 2.0 Ghz processor which it was able to put into all of the original models, for no extra charge. its a core duo machine, not even a core 2 duo.

yet it is really still perfect in every way.

for me to buy another machine to replace this one, here is what i need:

-it needs to lose about .5 kilo

-offer matte screen

-run at least a little bit cooler

higher processor speeds are not a problem since they are already being used.

the weight is the big factor for me.

i have looked at and held the Mac Air. it is really a great form factor but i need almost daily use of a DVD so its not an option, plus, it is really slow!
  • Reply 69 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

MacRumors has posted the availability of all* of the 6 last non-event product announcements around 8:40 AM EST, which is 13:40 London time (I happen to be in the UK right now). I know I'll be reloading like a crazy person since around 13:30.

*Except the last MB update, which was 05:08 AM EST.

Argh, typical! just when Ill be sat in a boring seminar without a computer to get my hands on! ha!

Slightly off topic but just while im here . . . if I was to get a 24" iMac, should I get the 2.8ghz or 2.4? will the extra .4 make much difference with 4GB RAM? Ill be using photoshop etc mainly.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    Quote:

Argh, typical! just when Ill be sat in a boring seminar without a computer to get my hands on! ha!

Slightly off topic but just while im here . . . if I was to get a 24" iMac, should I get the 2.8ghz or 2.4? will the extra .4 make much difference with 4GB RAM? Ill be using photoshop etc mainly.

If I remember correctly, 4G memory isn't going to matter. The iMac only utilizes 3G regardless of whether you have 4G or not. Personally, I would go for the 2.4GHz and save some money. I have a 20" iMac with 2G RAM, and it runs beautifully. I don't really see a need for more than 2G unless you're running some really demanding programs (i.e. Final Cut, Logic 8, Aperture, etc.) simultaneously. If you only running Photoshop mainly, I'd get the 2.4 and put in 3G of memory. Don't waste your money on 4G since 1G is wasted.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

If I remember correctly, 4G memory isn't going to matter. The iMac only utilizes 3G regardless of whether you have 4G or not. Personally, I would go for the 2.4GHz and save some money. I have a 20" iMac with 2G RAM, and it runs beautifully. I don't really see a need for more than 2G unless you're running some really demanding programs (i.e. Final Cut, Logic 8, Aperture, etc.) simultaneously. If you only running Photoshop mainly, I'd get the 2.4 and put in 3G of memory. Don't waste your money on 4G since 1G is wasted.

I don't think that's right--check it out more rigorously before making such a decision.

I would go for the 2.4GHz as well, but I'd think www.barefeats.com would have good benchmarks. If the iMac is "Santa Rosa" and takes 4GB, and you're gonna be Photoshoppin large files and/or heavily layered files, I'd definitely go with the 4GB (not from Apple, but from something like www.macsales.com), FWIW. I'm with 4 that I got from them for like a hundred bucks and am happy as a clam (and making full use of the 4 gigs according to MenuMeters).
  • Reply 72 of 114
    Ah right, cheers for the heads up on that then! I will have to ask apple or someone in the shop about whether they do utilise all 4GB! Is the 24" display definately worth the extra money? I was playing with one today and the display was LOVELY! What do you reckon?

Is it sad that I am quite looking forward to Tuesday?!
  • Reply 73 of 114
    Quote:

Ah right, cheers for the heads up on that then! I will have to ask apple or someone in the shop about whether they do utilise all 4GB! Is the 24" display definately worth the extra money? I was playing with one today and the display was LOVELY! What do you reckon?

Is it sad that I am quite looking forward to Tuesday?!

The 24" is most definitely worth the extra cash if you can swing it... I have a friend who works as a Mac tech at one of our local universities, and I got the chance to compare the sizes in person the other day, and the 24" is absolutely gorgeous! Plus, if you look at prices for 24" monitors that run at that resolution and then look at a computer with comparable specs, it is definitely worth it.

Cheers!

-opn
  • Reply 74 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

I don't think that's right--check it out more rigorously before making such a decision..

I could be confusing the 3G vs. 4G with my MacBook...but I'm pretty confident we read it in our "Everything Apple" manual when we were looking to install new memory in our iMac. I know this is the case for the older iMacs, but maybe not the new iMacs. Sorry for the confusion. Like you said, I'd just as the people at the Apple Store. Best of luck with the new purchase!
  • Reply 75 of 114
    So, potentially only a few hours to wait until the moment of truth . . . .will or wont Apple release a Macbook Pro update tomorrow? What are peoples thoughts so close to d day??
  • Reply 76 of 114
    Quote:

So, potentially only a few hours to wait until the moment of truth . . . .will or wont Apple release a Macbook Pro update tomorrow? What are peoples thoughts so close to d day??

With absolutely no whispers about them coming tomorrow, I'm betting not. I still think they're coming before March 17th, and I think it'll be a pretty nice update (not just minor bumps). But this is of course pure speculation, and I think the 24" iMac with 4GB memory would be an excellent Photoshop machine, and is real and here now.

To pull even further utter speculation exclusively out of my butt (I'm just trying to help you make a happy purchase, and I think this rumination process is a good investment), I'd wager the new MBP has been "kinda ready" for a while and so has been giving signals of imminence but for some reason has been pushed back one or more times. Anyway, the MBP or the iMac will both be great computers--you just have to decide which will be more useful, factoring in this speculative waiting.
  • Reply 77 of 114
    So I work (somewhere). Supposedly, the factories for MBPS aren't going to change for at least 60 days. I don't buy this, confusion, there is no point for trying to pick out dates. But...

At my work anyhow:

MBP boxes are still stamped with Tiger screens rather than the new Leopard boxes that are now on the current Macbooks & iMacs. The boxes where changed over two months ago. Why would the professional line of notebooks boxes be out of date? Im with most of you though, there is a 2.6ghz, 200gb 7200rpm MBP, sitting in the stock room right now that I want to purchase with oh so much enthusiasm. But these goddamn dates that everyone is saying is scaring the shit out of me. Frustration.
  • Reply 78 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowloforanger View Post

So I work (somewhere). Supposedly, the factories for MBPS aren't going to change for at least 60 days. I don't buy this, confusion, there is no point for trying to pick out dates. But...

At my work anyhow:

MBP boxes are still stamped with Tiger screens rather than the new Leopard boxes that are now on the current Macbooks & iMacs. The boxes where changed over two months ago. Why would the professional line of notebooks boxes be out of date? Im with most of you though, there is a 2.6ghz, 200gb 7200rpm MBP, sitting in the stock room right now that I want to purchase with oh so much enthusiasm. But these goddamn dates that everyone is saying is scaring the shit out of me. Frustration.

I don't understand. Do you mean there are new MBPs in your stock room or that all the MBPs in your stock room have out of date packaging?
  • Reply 79 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

I don't understand. Do you mean there are new MBPs in your stock room or that all the MBPs in your stock room have out of date packaging?

Ha! No, I meant the packaging. Believe me if there were new ones I would be typing on one. Sorry to confuse.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    Slightly off the topic of this particular thread, after a long discussion with my old man, I think i am going to get a mbp. went through all the senarios, space issues in my flat, my needs, my wants etc etc and seem that the 15"mbp will be the one to go for.

Im gonna be buying one if it comes out tomorrow pretty much straight away, if not tomorrow I will wait until im back from New York and if there is still no update/any word of a date I will just by the current model and sell it on when the update finally surfaces. I just want the update keyboard as what I have heard of the mbp current keyboard it isnt very good, but you know!

I am hoping will all my will that an update of sorts will be out tomorrow, but as usual I am sure I will be dissapointed to some extent! ha! Feels good that I have made a decision that im going to stick with though!