Speeding up Safari and Mail

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I bought my iPhone yesterday. I love it, but safari is soooo slow and mail will take 5 minutes to check for new messages. I am on my wifi network, run by comcast. It is high speed internet and on my macbook loads web pages in a second.

I understand that it may be slower on the iphone, but when it takes 3-4 minutes to load the mobile google, then there is an issue.

Is this my wireless internet that is just acting weird on the phone? It works perfectly on my macbook, so I am wondering if that is the issue.

If not, does anybody know any ways to speed up safari and mail?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You obviously have a problem because it should not be as slow as you describe. I would try using it on another open wifi access point just to see if the issue is with your router then go from there. Is it faster or slower when using edge?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    i was just on the road using the edge network. it took me about 15 seconds to load up appleinsider.com...google loaded in a matter of seconds. Now i'm on my wifi and its taking several minutes.

I also tried it with mail. On edge, it got new mail in about 15 seconds, now it just has the spinning wheel saying its connecting. I have full wifi bars on my iphone, so it must be something with my router or wifi. Any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    unplug your router and your cable modem for like ten minutes. then plug them back in.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    seems to be better. thank you very much.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

unplug your router and your cable modem for like ten minutes. then plug them back in.

Be sure to let the "nets" and "power" drain. If you do not leave them unplugged for long enough the tubes will get further clogged and your service will degrade even more!

This is what a helpful Comcast Support agent told me and I thought I'd pass it on and help share the knowledge.

• Reply 6 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What router are you using?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    what do you mean let the nets and power drain?

I'm not sure what router i have.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    He was being facetious.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

There should be no reason to unplug the router. You only need to unplug the modem and only for 30 seconds. This is sufficient to force it to get a new IP address.