Apple pulls out of 2008 NAB conference

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Apple is special right now: a trade show announcement, other than macworld, makes no sense, Not when Jobs can send out cute little invites to the Apple Theater or the Moscone Center, for a big announcement.

At a show, apple is another vendor, at an apple announcement, they are the show, and they can have the whole collective media, both tech and mainstream pissing their iPants with anticipation to, like lemmings, take whatever is given.

Agreed (no pun intended).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that is the most likely, too, but it doesn't need to be an exclusive event to one new thing. new monitors are long overdue.

Final Cut Server. Phenomenon (new Shake). MacBookPro Penryn. LED Cinema Displays.

?? If it is just iPhone SDK I will be very very sad.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The word (speculation?) on the Digital Production Buzz is that Apple will rent out their own space near the LVCC while the show is in session. It sounds like Avid is doing the same thing. This sort of thing has happened at other trade shows, such as this year's CES where several of the "big guys" rented their own hotel spaces. It probably costs them less to put on the same event, which is good. It also isolates them, which can be good and bad. I don't know if the trade-off is worth it.

I can tell you from experience with many of these shows that if you are off in another building, you won't get the traffic you want. Even many of your customers won't bother.

These shows are oppressing in their size and footwork that is required, and depressing, in that despite their size, there is less and less purpose to them.

Nevertheless, I think it's bad not to show on the main floor.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

"Early 2008" officially ends at midnight June 30th of this year...

So when's "mid-2008"?
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Well, at least we won't have to witness a "My speakers are louder than yours" competition between AVID and Apple anymore...
  • Reply 25 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fearless View Post

So when's "mid-2008"?

I always thought that early was from January through April, mid was May through August, and late was September through December.

But, other's milage may vary.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The NAB have been screwing musicians out of royalty payments for decades (albeit, with Congress's blessing). They are IMO evil as a group and for that reason I'm glad to see Apple not associated with their conference, even if its only one year.

I'll not ask you to derail the thread, but is there a link to a nice summary if just what the heck you're talking about? I've heard nothing of this dispute either way.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    There are two basic types of royalties paid for music broadcasts, songwriter royalties and performance royalties. Terrestrial radio is unique amongst all broadcasters in that they don't pay performance royalties, in their case only the songwriter gets paid.

Back on topic, for all intents and purposes (i.e. lobbying, legal representation, political action committees, etc.) the NAB == terrestrial radio == evil.

Unbiased backgrounder stories from our good friends at Ars:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...to-pay-up.html

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...contracts.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nate Anderson story from ars

Interesting as it is, though, it's unlikely to distract Congressional attention from the fact that radio, alone of the broadcasters, doesn't pay a performance royalty. Basic fairness would seem to dictate either that webcasters also get a reprieve from the royalty or that radio cough up too, but webcasters don't have the incredible lobbying clout that the NAB has wielded in DC for decades.