whaat about this ram?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought a macbook last week. there is on a gig of ram (2X512) I thought it would be enough, but it seem like it would be happier with 2 gig.

I looked at this ram, 51$ for 2 gig!

too good to be true?

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...29%20MB062LL/B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Go for it!! I got the Crucial 4GB for my MBP for $113 because I didn't want to pay Apple's rediculous price for a 4GB system. I've had no problems with this memory since I purchased it in December.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yvon View Post

I bought a macbook last week. there is on a gig of ram (2X512) I thought it would be enough, but it seem like it would be happier with 2 gig.

I looked at this ram, 51$ for 2 gig!

too good to be true?

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...29%20MB062LL/B

If your going to upgrade, you might as well get 4gb of ram, that can be had for around $75 these days.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    do you think that 4 gig will make a difference?

Does it worth it?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yvon View Post

do you think that 4 gig will make a difference?

Does it worth it?

Yes, it does. For me at least. I find the 1 GB factory installed just the minimum for a reasonably performing system. I too installed 4 GB from OWC which is $100. The difference, for my use, is night and day. If you are monitoring what Mac OS X and several applications are doing, you may be surprised at how quickly they do consume everything available in memory. Furthermore, on a Macbook 144 MB of system memory will go for graphics, which leaves you with only 856 MB for everything else.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    try www.newegg.com. Muskin works well, I got it for a MB & MBP, works great. Usually have rebates as well. Can get the 4GB kit now for $68.99, FREE shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tk=&srchInDesc
  • Reply 6 of 10
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    I ordered the ram yesterday early in the morning and I received it this afternoon!!

from memphis to montreal in about 30 hours!

I ordered only the 2 gig, that will be enough for my use.

I installed it about an hour ago and everything seem perfect so far.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Let me ask you fine folks this: Is it normal for OWC RAM to be rebranded? I just threw 2GB in my new Macbook tonight which I had purchased from OWC, and both 1GB modules had "Crucial" plastered on them with an OWC sticker sort of covering each label.

Is this normal for OWC to do? The modules are working fine so far, but I was just curious...couldn't find anything on their site about it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Let me ask you fine folks this: Is it normal for OWC RAM to be rebranded? I just threw 2GB in my new Macbook tonight which I had purchased from OWC, and both 1GB modules had "Crucial" plastered on them with an OWC sticker sort of covering each label.

Is this normal for OWC to do? The modules are working fine so far, but I was just curious...couldn't find anything on their site about it.

I doubt OWC makes memory. I could be wrong but it looks to me like they're just a reseller.

Crucial, on the other hand, is the retail arm of Micron, which actually manufactures RAM.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    That's pretty much what I figured. I was just surprised, I suppose, to see Crucial's name plastered all over the modules.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    proofproof Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I doubt OWC makes memory. I could be wrong but it looks to me like they're just a reseller.

Crucial, on the other hand, is the retail arm of Micron, which actually manufactures RAM.

I know OWC offers a buy back plan to buy back your RAM your replacing so if there a reseller, your not buying used RAM are you?