Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
That's 10.5.2 available via Software Update...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 197
    Sweet. On it.
  • Reply 2 of 197
    I seriously hope you're right. I'm checking right now.
  • Reply 3 of 197
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

I seriously hope you're right. I'm checking right now.

It is there indeed.
  • Reply 4 of 197
    Wow, it's down to 180 MB on my Intel Mac Mini.
  • Reply 5 of 197
    341MB for 20" iMac. It's big!
  • Reply 6 of 197
    Hope that is a an official release, now apple can release the all new MBP tomorrow
  • Reply 7 of 197
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple on Monday afternoon released Mac OS X 10.5.2, the second maintenance and security update to its relatively new Leopard operating system that delivers a plethora of improvements for both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs.

As of press time, the update was available solely via the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism accessible from under the Apple menu. Once the 10.5.2 Update is applied, Software Update will then offer to download an install a separate graphics driver updated labeled "Leopard Graphics Update 1.0" (48.9MB) that upgrades certain unspecified Macs for compatibility with certain programs and overall stability. A list of bug fixes and enhancements delivered with the 10.5.2 update are as follows:

Active Directory

Addresses issues which could hinder or prevent binding Mac OS X 10.5.x clients to Active Directory domains.

AirPort

Improves connection reliability and stabilityIncludes 802.1X improvementsResolves certain kernel panics

Back to my Mac

Adds support for more third-party routers, as detailed in this article

Dashboard

Improves performance of certain Apple Dashboard widgets (such as Dictionary)Addresses an issue in which Dashboard widgets may no longer be accessible after switching to or from an account that has Parental Controls enabled

Dock

Updates Stacks with a List view option, a Folder view option, and an updated background for Grid view

Desktop

Addresses legibility issues with the menu bar with an option to turn off transparency in Desktop & Screen Saver preferencesAdjusts menus to be slightly-less translucent overall

iCal

Improves iCal so that it accurately reflects responses to recurring meetingsAddresses an issue in which a meeting may remain on the calendar after being cancelledAddresses stability issues related to .Mac syncing of iCal calendarsResolves an intermittent issue in which editing an event with attendees would cause the event to shrink and not register that the event was updated

iChat

Addresses an issue with simultaneously-logged in accounts in which iChat sounds generated from one account might be heard in another accountFixes an issue in which iChat idle time is affected by Time Machine backupsImproves connectivity when running iChat behind a router that doesn?t preserve portsEnables logged chats from previous versions of iChat to open faster and more reliablyAddresses an issue with text chats in which users may be unable to receive messages from the senderAddresses an issue that may prevent rejoining an AIM chat room without reopening iChatAddresses video chat compatibility issues with AIM 6 and third-party routersFixes an issue with case-sensitivity of AIM handles

iSync

Adds support for Samsung D600E and D900i phones

Finder

Addresses an issue in which Finder could unexpectedly quit when displaying folder contents in Column viewAddresses an issue in which Finder could unexpectedly quit when accessing Users and Groups in a Get Info paneResolves an issue that prevented setting permissions on a folder aliasResolves an issue in which the Eject command could write to a disc in the optical driveFixes an issue in which the scroll bar might disappear when deleting a file within a folder that includes files that are out of viewFixes an issue in the Sharing & Permissions section of Get Info windows, in which the gear icon appears to be gray/disabled after authenticationAddresses an issue in which the Show Icon Preview preference might not be not saved when turning it offFixes an issue that could occur when trying to print an image from the Finder

Mail

Addresses an issue with Message menu's Mark > As Read choiceFixes an issue in which duplicate On My Mac folders may appear in the sidebar after upgrading to LeopardImproves the accuracy of the Data Detectors featureResolves an issue with scrolling through a Note that is displayed using the split view in the message windowFixes an issue with deleting messages located in the Drafts folderFixes an issue in which dragging the icon in the Safari URL field into a Mail message creates an attachment instead of a linkAddresses an issue found when opening a item in the Notes folder that is not a NoteFixes an issue that may prevent RSS feeds from being delivered in MailResolves an issue in which a selected message could "flash" from blue to gray when in Organize by Thread modeFixes an issue with scrolling between multiple To Dos in an email messageFixes an issue in which the body of email messages with certain MIME structures may not be displayedImproves performance with America Online (AOL) account-based messages in MailAddresses issues with some ISPs during automatic set-up in MailAddresses an issue in which Mail might not send mail on some networks to some SMTP serversMail now automatically disables the (unsupported) third-party plugin GrowlMail version 1.1.2 or earlier to avoid issuesAdds an option to view large icons in the Mailbox list

Networking

Addresses a hanging issue that may occur when connecting to an AFP network volume

Parental Controls

Improves stability when opening the Parental Controls System Preferences paneFixes an issue that may prevent changes to the email address for permission requestsAddresses an issue with printer administration for a guest account enabled with Parental ControlsAddresses an issue with setting printer administration privileges from another Mac on the local networkFixes an issue that could prevent certain applications from being allowedAddresses accuracy issues with the web content filter

Preview

Improves stability when scrolling through a PDF documentFixes an issue that prevents tabbing within a PDF document after clicking on the PDFImproves the Mail Document feature so that email attachments are more reliably created from Print Preview

Printing

Addresses an issue in which remote printers may be deleted when the computer is put to sleepImproves printing performance when using some Microsoft Office applicationsResolves an issue with some printing options, such as landscape orientation, number of copies, two-sided printing, and so forth that may not have functioned with some printers shared by Microsoft WindowsAdds support for certain printers connected to the USB port of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express base stationResolves a stalling issue that could occur when installing certain Canon printing software from a disc

RAW Image

Adds RAW image support for newer Canon, Hasselblad, Leaf, Nikon, and Sony digital SLR cameras, as detailed in this article

Safari

Addresses issues with Safari reliably resolving certain domains

Login and Setup Assistant

Addresses an issue in which Setup Assistant could unexpectedly appear each time Mac OS X 10.5 starts upImproves stability and performance during log in

System

Improves the accuracy of the grammar checkerThe computer will now shut down if an automatic disk repair does not succeed during startup

Time Machine

Adds a menu bar option for accessing Time Machine features (the menu extra can be enabled in Time Machine preferences)Improves backup reliability when computer name contains slash or non-ASCII charactersFixes an issue in which the backup disk displayed in the Finder may be out of sync with the disk chosen for Time MachineAddresses issues in which some external drives are not recognized by Time MachineThe status menu now appears by default

Other

Improves general stability when running third-party applicationsAddresses an issue in which the incorrect search results may be displayed for certain Automator Find/Filter actionsAddresses an issue with the Latvian and Russian keyboard layoutsAddresses an issue in which the backlight could turn off before Energy Saver's backlight setting

Users are discussing the update here.
  • Reply 8 of 197
    Wow respect to the people at Apple, that's an impressive list....
  • Reply 9 of 197
    This is biggest update Leopard has seen yet! Now if only they beef up that mac mini graphics card, that thing can be huge too!

Thunk Different.

• Reply 10 of 197
    Let the clamoring for 10.5.3 begin.......
  • Reply 11 of 197
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Noticed that the update list did not mention using TimeMachine with AirPort USB drives.
  • Reply 12 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Noticed that the update list did not mention using TimeMachine with AirPort USB drives.

The implied "fix" is: Suck on it -- buy at Time Capsule!!!
  • Reply 13 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Achiever View Post

Let the clamoring for 10.5.3 begin.......

10.5.3? Where's my 10.6?

(I think I'll now take the leap to Leopard from Tiger for all my pre-Leopard machines).
  • Reply 14 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Integer and Floating point are better while Memory and Stream are slower. The end result is an ever so slightly better performing system. I'm too cheap to pay for the 64-bit version of the app.
    Platform: Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Compiler: GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Processor Frequency: 2.00 GHz

Bus Frequency: 664 MHz

Memory: 4.00 GB

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Build 9C31)

Geekbench (Score: 2578)

Integer (Score: 2313)

Floating Point (Score: 3567)

Memory (Score: 1828)

Stream (Score: 1548)

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.1 (Build 9B18)

Geekbench (Score: 2552)

Integer (Score: 2281)

Floating Point (Score: 3488)

Memory (Score: 1862)

Stream (Score: 1605)
    edit:
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Build 9C31) w/Graphic Update applied

Geekbench (Score: 2541)

Integer (Score: 2235)

Floating Point (Score: 3541)

Memory (Score: 1812)

Stream (Score: 1572)

It's smoother than before but it now starts up 2 seconds startup and slower GeekBench speeds. Hmmm.
  • Reply 15 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

341MB for 20" iMac. It's big!

That's not too bad considering all of the fixes. It could be worse. Just think if we all still had to contend with dial up. Heh heh heh!!
  • Reply 16 of 197
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    i am NOT happy with this update so far. First off... after the 2nd restart it had a kernel panic (2.33 mbp). Second off the menu lost it's Anti-alias text somewhere. The menus are less transluscent (something I liked), It doesn't feel as snappy as 10.5.1.

Can someone tell me where you toggle the menubar being transluscent vs solid?
  • Reply 17 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mausse View Post

Hope that is a an official release, now apple can release the all new MBP tomorrow

Got a good laugh at that. Great to see some humour around here.
  • Reply 18 of 197
    I had some problems restarting after it downloaded but once I got by that it installed and rebooted okay.
  • Reply 19 of 197
    Hooray!!! Stacks has been fixed! Yes I said "fixed", because before it was seriously crippled. Thank you Apple for listening and not waiting for 10.6 to fix this!
  • Reply 20 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

i am NOT happy with this update so far. First off... after the 2nd restart it had a kernel panic (2.33 mbp). Second off the menu lost it's Anti-alias text somewhere. The menus are less transluscent (something I liked), It doesn't feel as snappy as 10.5.1.

Can someone tell me where you toggle the menubar being transluscent vs solid?

There is now an option in System Preferences => Desktop for turning Menu bar translucency on and off, but that won't affect the drop-down and contextual menus. They do seem less "translucency" than before. No way to change that until a hack comes around.

My Menu Bar text looks the same. It does seem less snappier than 10.5.1 and programs are taking much longer to open. I've open up everything in my Applications folder and I'm now going to restart. Perhaps it will feel the same after that.