AT&T to roll out Wi-Fi access to over 7,000 Starbucks locations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AT&T said Monday it will soon deliver Wi-Fi service to more than 7,000 company-operated Starbucks coffeehouse locations across the United States, offering a mix of free and paid internet access designed to meet the needs of both frequent and occasional customers.

The partnership aims to expand and enhance the digital entertainment experience for Starbucks customers, building on the coffee retailer's ongoing rollout of free iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store access for users of Apple's iPod touch, iPhone and other portables running iTunes.

The initiative will see AT&T's Wi-Fi network, already the largest in the United States, expanded to more than 17,000 U.S. hot spots and more than 70,000 globally.

Beginning this spring, it will offer Starbucks Card holders up to two hours of free Wi-Fi service per day at Starbucks locations offering Wi-Fi access, while more than 12 million qualifying AT&T broadband and AT&T U-verse Internet customers will have unlimited free access to the Wi-Fi service.

In addition, AT&T said that more than 5 million of its remote access services business customers will be able to access the Wi-Fi service at Starbucks locations, and that it plans to extend the benefits to all of its mobile wireless customers sometime in the future.

"People want to stay connected to their world 24/7, and Wi-Fi hot spots, broadband and wireless make that mobility possible," said AT&T consumer marketing chief Rick Welday. "Laptops and smartphones give us the online mobility we crave, and now millions of AT&T and Starbucks customers will get Internet access free from the comfort of their neighborhood Starbucks."

In addition to the free Wi-Fi access for qualifying AT&T customers and any Starbucks Card holder, customers will be able to purchase tiered access to the AT&T Wi-Fi network at Starbucks. A two-hour session will fetch $3.99, while a monthly membership will also be available for $19.99 per month, and will include access to any of AT&T's 70,000 hot spots in 89 countries around the world.

AT&T business customers who subscribe to remote access services can also enjoy unlimited, flat-rate access plans at any Starbucks location offering Wi-Fi service or at other AT&T Wi-Fi hot spots, the two firms said.

Additionally, AT&T said it is providing Starbucks an enterprise-class network with increased bandwidth and redundancy.

"Delivering networking capabilities to help a world-class company such as Starbucks achieve greater business velocity is what we do," said Welday.

The availability of AT&T Wi-Fi service at Starbucks will take place on a market-by-market basis with store implementation beginning this spring and completed by the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    So what does this mean for all of the T-Mobile hot spots that are already in Starbucks?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    "Delivering networking capabilities to help a world-class company such as Starbucks achieve greater business velocity is what we do"

How trite! Not only that, but... businesses care about "acceleration" not "velocity"...

I second the question regarding T-Mobile....
  • Reply 3 of 23
    That has to be a mistake brothers. T-mobile dominates all starbucks with T1 access via wifi at all of its thousands of locations. There can be no way AT&T can be putting in additional lines in these stores. It would not make any sense. Maybe the company is Tmobile not ATT since I know soon Iphones can get a song playing at a starbucks over their existing network. Any thoughts here? Also, the AT&T wifi hotspots in all of the Coffee Beans, McDonalds (wayport) and some airports: Will these ever be updated to "enterprise-class"? I know for a fact that most of them currently are just DSL lines at 1.5MB. I confirmed it with AT&T tech supp. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Photo Larry View Post

That has to be a mistake brothers. T-mobile dominates all starbucks with T1 access via wifi at all of its thousands of locations. There can be no way AT&T can be putting in additional lines in these stores. It would not make any sense. Maybe the company is Tmobile not ATT since I know soon Iphones can get a song playing at a starbucks over their existing network. Any thoughts here? Also, the AT&T wifi hotspots in all of the Coffee Beans, McDonalds (wayport) and some airports: Will these ever be updated to "enterprise-class"? I know for a fact that most of them currently are just DSL lines at 1.5MB. I confirmed it with AT&T tech supp. Thanks.

You can verify it here.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=7777

I would question what customer service tells you. You might get a better answer from a network person.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    On the face of things, this announcement would appear to indicate that T-Mobile has just lost the Starbucks account to AT&T. They may be offering dual access providers, but I doubt it. AT&T just doesn't play well with others - see the history on the iPhone for reference.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    This is the most recent info I could find about T-mobile and Starbucks.

http://www.t-mobile.com/company/Pres...ern+California

I think they lost the 'account'.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    My experience with T-mobile at Sbucks has been horrible. I for one welcome (our new AT&T/Starbucks overlords*) the chance to get wireless with my triple venti latte without paying T-mobile a fortune for the privilege.

(*'Cmon AI, its pretty easy to implement the <strike> tags in PHP...)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    AT&T has been in McDonald's for some time, providing free wi-fi for their DSL customers. More recently, McDonald's has significantly challenged Starbucks with cute coffee drinks of its own. I would guess Starbucks did some market research that indicated switching to AT&T would be the most competitive move.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

AT&T has been in McDonald's for some time, providing free wi-fi for their DSL customers. More recently, McDonald's has significantly challenged Starbucks with cute coffee drinks of its own. I would guess Starbucks did some market research that indicated switching to AT&T would be the most competitive move.

I go to Sbucks to decompress from my job, relax, or visit with friends. They do "atmosphere" pretty well, IMO.

In contrast, I can't imagine in my wildest dreams relaxing at a MickeyDees (upgraded java or no).

YMMV (but probably not).
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Panera has wifi for free and is not as congested as s-bucks
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by COWBOY411 View Post

I love panera! I'm gonna go there for a dinner-time sandwich later
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is the most recent info I could find about T-mobile and Starbucks.

http://www.t-mobile.com/company/Pres...ern+California

I think they lost the 'account'.

I used to work for starbucks. I was told that Starbucks didn't anticipate the growth of wi-fi and were stuck in a really long contract with T-mobile. The access was too expensive for their customers and they'd tried to get out of it years ago. I guess the contract is finally up, allowing this at&t thing, but i'm frustrated that they don't offer truly free wifi, that's ridiculous.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I buy my own green coffee beans and roast them fresh for my family and friends. I have tried Starbucks coffee and find it tasteless and stale. Panera, on the other hand, has a good quality fresh ground dark coffee, which is cheaper and better than Starbucks. Moreover, the Wifi is free at Panera, and the food is pretty close to organic. A no brainer.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Photo Larry View Post

DSL vs. T1 is very simplistic. It doesn't say anything about the speed of the DSL. DSL can be had for faster. The only possible other issues for DSL are contention and upload speed. Contention can be dealt with. Upload speeds might be an issue, depending on the copper.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by COWBOY411 View Post

You have to be kidding. Panera not as congested as Starbucks?? I have never found a Panera that isn't chock full of people at all times.

As nice as it is to have free access (and I wouldn't change that), I find it obnoxious that people sit in Panera (or Starbucks) for hours sitting on their laptops. ESPECIALLY during the lunch and dinner hours. Shouldn't Panera be a restaurant first, lounge second?
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Check that...looks like those of us with T-Mobile will still have access (for how long, who knows...):

"T-Mobile HotSpot customers will be able to continue to access WiFi services at no additional cost, through an agreement between AT&T and T-Mobile," Starbucks said in a statement.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

My experience with T-mobile at Sbucks has been horrible. I for one welcome (our new AT&T/Starbucks overlords*) the chance to get wireless with my triple venti latte without paying T-mobile a fortune for the privilege.

(*'Cmon AI, its pretty easy to implement the <strike> tags in PHP...)

AT&T has exorbitant rates. The only reason I haven't purchased an iPhone is that it would require me to leave TMobile and go to the overpriced AT&T with their lousy customer service. And how long do you think it will take AT&T to raise it's rates yet again after bidding for this contract and working on a 3G network? If they don't I will be impressed, but let's wait and see.

FYI: currently a 24 hour wifi pass at Starbucks is $10 or you can buy an hour for $6. TMobile cell subscribers can get unlimited Starbucks, Barnes & Noble and Kinkos wifi for $20 monthly to use with our phones and laptop. I tell you what though...with all the places starting to offer free net access, no paid wifi access is a good deal. Starbucks would be better off eliminating the fees.

***Check this out: There WILL apparently be free wifi access according to this article! Yahoo news Gotta say this is a great step for both AT&T and Starbucks.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I buy my own green coffee beans and roast them fresh for my family and friends. I have tried Starbucks coffee and find it tasteless and stale. Panera, on the other hand, has a good quality fresh ground dark coffee, which is cheaper and better than Starbucks. Moreover, the Wifi is free at Panera, and the food is pretty close to organic. A no brainer.

Couldn't disagree more. Starbucks coffee is tops in my book. Love all the different bean varieties they have.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

Check that...looks like those of us with T-Mobile will still have access (for how long, who knows...):

"T-Mobile HotSpot customers will be able to continue to access WiFi services at no additional cost, through an agreement between AT&T and T-Mobile," Starbucks said in a statement.

It will be free for everybody.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

***Check this out: There WILL apparently be free wifi access according to this article! Yahoo news Gotta say this is a great step for both AT&T and Starbucks.

I'm a regular Starbucks debit card user, I'm looking forward to the 2-hours-for-free option.