Problems with safari's fonts

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Yesterday, out of the blue, when I opened safari I realized that the fonts on a a lot of sites (google, appleinsider and my banking site among others - so all sites I frequent) looked a little screwed. Here is a screenshot:

As well as this problem some words also appear very bunched up and unreadable on certain sites.

This happened to me in the past on my other machine and I could only fix it by reinstalling the OS, so I thought I'd turn to people more knowledgeable than myself this time.

I first set safari's default font to helvetica instead of arial (I am certain it is arial that is corrupt), but this did nothing, I then trashed safari's preferences and restarted - nothing. I removed arial and replaced it with the version from my macbook, where I am having no font problems - no luck. I even replaced the safari on my iMac with a copy of the version from my macbook, but that also proved no use. This is really annoying me here! Can anyone help me out??

I have absolutely no idea what caused this problem, the only thing that I changed recently was install microsoft office. Actually, that seems like a likely cause to screw something up. So yeah, can anyone shed some light on this??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    You can use the Font Book.app to run a check on all your installed fonts to make sure there aren't any problems with them. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304764 for details.

Also, go into the Safari Preferences > Advanced and make sure no Style Sheet is selected.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thanks for the suggestipns but arial passes the font validation and according to safari no style sheets are active! Is there anything else that it could be?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Hmmm, it's probably worth checking your anti-aliasing settings in System Preferences > Appearance. If you have any of the accessibility preferences enabled that might also interfere with the font rendering.

It's only happening in Safari right? Text looks okay in Mail.app?

You're not downloading the nightly builds of WebKit or anything like that?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I'd also try clearing out the font and browser caches. You can use a tool like Onyx to do that.

Do you get the same problem if you create a new user account on your Mac?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cheers for all the help guys!

So I eventually fixed the problem (in safari) by using time machine to restore my fonts folder (both system and user) from a few months ago whern it was definitely all fine. Like I said, safari now seems fine - although NOW a few of my widgets seem to be screwing up, and I had one email come through in mail earlier with the same problem as safari...

The problem with the widgets' text is slightly different, and seems to be only affected these 3:

I've already tried the same trick using time machine to restore my widgets folder, but no avail...

Anyone got any ideas about this one? Its starting to really bug me, but I guess thats what you get for installing a microsoft product..
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxx66 View Post

I've already tried the same trick using time machine to restore my widgets folder, but no avail...

Anyone got any ideas about this one? Its starting to really bug me, but I guess thats what you get for installing a microsoft product..

What Microsoft product did you install? Why do you think your font issue has anything to do with it?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Uh oh. You didn't install MS FontFucker for Mac? did you? I can't understand why people use that.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I installed the latest office purely because I deal with a lot of word files sent to me by idiots and pc users, and some things are only displayed correctly in word. anyhow, I'm sure it was this that screwed my fonts and widgets. Anyone got any suggestions about how to fix my widgets? the fonts are back to normal now.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    anyone got any ideas??
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Uh oh. You didn't install MS FontFucker for Mac? did you? I can't understand why people use that.

Being a smart ass doesn't help maxx66.

My question was legitimate. I was trying to Identify the problem by asking what program maxx66 installed. It's possible others have experience the same problem and solved it.