Safari for classic?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any chance Apple will release a version for classic?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Jobs want classic to be history, so it will be history if safari is produced for classic.

In my opinion, I believe safari is more likely for windows than for classic.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Not to be rude, but there's no chance in hell Apple will release Safari in a Classic version. It would be a lot of work at this point (WebCore, JavascriptCore wrapped in Cocoa), and they consider OS 9 "dead" in terms of development.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Definately not happening.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    What would be the point? Who the fsck uses 9 anymore anyways?

I hate OS 9. It needs all the help it can get to die a quicker death.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i use 9...well i'm using 10 now but i dont have a X capable computer, so i have to use 9 in my room...X is downstairs as our family's main computer
  • Reply 6 of 18
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>Any chance Apple will release a version for classic?</strong><hr></blockquote>

About as much chance as them releasing a version of iCal, iSync or iLife - 0%
  • Reply 7 of 18
    My sig says it all.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>Any chance Apple will release a version for classic?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure. Port Cocoa to OS 9 and we can talk about it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There's a remote chance that it'll run in Rhapsody, which will work on any 603, 603e, 604, or 604e. I am not sure if it works on a 601 or on G3s.

I just got a copy of Rhapsody DR2 today, and I have yet to install it on a computer but I heard that since the native language is Cocoa, then Cocoa apps should work on it. I find it cool because it's a way to get all the nice features of OS X onto an older computer, without all the unnecessary bloat.

BTW, OS 9 does suck pretty bad. It's very unstable. If I had an older machine that wasn't OS X capable, I'd probably put a few different OSes on it. I've been collecting them . Right now I have Rhapsody DR2 and Yellow Dog Linux 2.3, and in a few days I should have BeOS 4. Those all work on PPC Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The problem with that is Cocoa has changed since Rhapsody DR2. That means that if a program like Safari is using 'things' not present in Rhapsody, it will break and not run. I have a feeling this is most definitely the case. A lot has changed.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Luca, how did you get a copy of Rhapsody? I thought it was never released. I've been looking for an OS to put on an old Performa 6300. Looking in to mkLinux, but I'm still pretty open.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>What would be the point? Who the fsck uses 9 anymore anyways?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heck, I'm still using 8.6.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spiffster:

<strong>Luca, how did you get a copy of Rhapsody? I thought it was never released. I've been looking for an OS to put on an old Performa 6300. Looking in to mkLinux, but I'm still pretty open.</strong><hr></blockquote>

use beOS
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I got a copy from another person who was interested, on the LEM-Swap list (http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/swap.html). It's not an original CD, he got a CD and then he copied it and sent me a copy. As I said, I haven't tried it (and I don't have a 603/e or 604/e capable of running it), but my brother is going to try using it on his PowerBook 3400. Hopefully I'll be able to find some old versions of some of those Cocoa applications (I believe OmniWeb is fairly old...) and run those.

According to him, it boots into OS 8.0 to install. I don't know how he got it, but he had posted an ad to the list asking if anyone had a copy for sale, so I emailed him and asked if he would send me a copy if he acquired one.

It could be really slow on your 6300... the 603 was a fairly crappy processor. But it should work.

I got it for free; he was kind enough to not even charge shipping for it. So if you want a copy, send me a private message.

However, I really don't want to get hundreds of replies from people wanting me to send them free CDs of Rhapsody all over the country/world... shipping one CD isn't a big deal, but burning a bunch and shipping a bunch requires a big investment of time and money into something that really doesn't give me any direct benefit (other than good karma )

So if you really, really want a copy, send me a private message and we can work something out either through shipping it or by sending it via AIM or something (during the week, that's when I'm at my dorm that usually has hyper-fast broadband).
  • Reply 15 of 18
    [quote]I just got a copy of Rhapsody DR2 today, and I have yet to install it on a computer but I heard that since the native language is Cocoa, then Cocoa apps should work on it.<hr></blockquote>

No.

It has already been said - but I believe it bears repeating, that there have been a ridiculous number of changes in the Cocoa API since then.

Hell, even some of the simple apps I write now won't compile on anything less than Jaguar due to the way the API has evolved.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I also learned that Rhapsody only works on 604 and 604e based 8500s, 9500s, 8600s, and 9600s. Even then, only some models are supported - the 300 and 350 MHz x600s are not supported.

My brother found that out the hard way when his 3400 stopped booting up. Luckily, that's fixed now.

Finally, in an installation manual for it, it says that it doesn't have any security features so it's advised not to be using it on the web. Of course, I wonder if you can even find a browser for it...

My brother and I might even both pitch in for an 8500 or something to run it on
  • Reply 17 of 18
    There was talk about porting Phoenix to Mac OS 9 but since the Mozilla tree is no longer supporting Mac OS 9 as an officially supported build it would take a bit of effort from someone.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Actually, one of the first browsers for Rhapsody was OmniWeb. I remember running it in Rhapsody.

I was heavily involved in QuickTime Streaming at the time, and was on the seed list for QT 4+, and in turn, was put on the Rhapsody seed list. If someone wanted to buy my original Rhapsody CD, I'd probably be willing to sell it