So whats next then???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Thought I would get the ball rolling on speculation for the next date of MBP release . . . haha!

Seriously though, when is this flipping up date realistically going to be released? I need to think of a game plan, buy now or wait?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r-41157 View Post

Thought I would get the ball rolling on speculation for the next date of MBP release . . . haha!

Seriously though, when is this flipping up date realistically going to be released? I need to think of a game plan, buy now or wait?!

Probably not, but it could still happen today. People aren't thinking about the fact that it is only 7:20AM in Cupertino, and they will not make the switch to Penryn without an event showcasing the new keyboard and track pad and talking about all of the wonderfulness that is Penryn.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    but surely if there were to be a showcase something would have leaked about it, or does it not work like this with apple?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    The fact that a revised MacBook Pro still hasn't debuted when a whole host of other new Penryn-based systems have and given the huge pent-up demand for this machine evidenced by posts on Appleinsider alone, all point to more than just a new chip going into the existing case design.

Likely spec:
    • Slightly thinner (2cm instead of 2.5 cm?)

• Slightler lighter (5lbs instead of 5.4 lbs?)

• More rounded edges and tapered body like MacBook Air

• New keyboard

• New trackpad

• LED screen 15" and 17"

• Penryn on Santa Rosa Centrino board (Not confirmed) - Core2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5 GHz and 2.6 GHz with 800 MHz FSB) and Intel PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n

• NVIDIA® GeForce 8600M GS graphics processor (?)

• 2-4 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (2 x 2048 MB), maximum 4 GB DD

• Hard drive: Serial ATA with 250 GB, 5400 rpm or 200 GB, 7200 rpm

In other words, patience is a virtue. Wait and you will be rewarded.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There is already 4 threads that say "When will the MB be released". Do we really need 5th one to discuss it in?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

The fact that a revised MacBook Pro still hasn't debuted when a whole host of other new Penryn-based systems have and given the huge pent-up demand for this machine evidenced by posts on Appleinsider alone, all point to more than just a new chip going into the existing case design.

Likely spec:

• New keyboard

• New trackpad

• LED screen 15" and 17"

• Penryn on Santa Rosa Centrino board (Not confirmed) - Core2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5 GHz and 2.6 GHz with 800 MHz FSB) and Intel PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n

Sounds good and I agree, patience is a virtue but it is one that I struggle to deal with! haha!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

There is already 4 threads that say "When will the MB be released". Do we really need 5th one to discuss it in?

Probably not, but most of the other threads are HUGE so a fresh one is always good to get new ideas floating and get back to the topic many seem to be talking about. Mods, delete this one if you wish.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Likely spec:

• New keyboard

• New trackpad

• LED screen 15" and 17"

I think you hit the nail on the head.

forgot MT trackpad, but i'll forgive ya!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Apple is likely looking for the fastest chips and my understanding is that that is where Intel was having trouble. Obviously there could be more to it ad finding the actual info that was seen on the web would make things a little clearer. Of course you could also be right on the money.

Quote:

Likely spec:

• I'm not sure this one would be an advantage. I don't want to trade off curves for ports.

Quote:

• New keyboard

• New trackpad

• LED screen 15" and 17"

maybe they will go even faster?

Quote:

You know what I'd like to see is 4 GB soldered in for reliability and two socketed expansion slots. That sound like a lot but I don't see it that way especially for a base platform that is expected to be around for another couple of years. So Apple could set the standard, for laptops, for the next two years or so by having he base config being 4GB and supporting expansion. For a pro machine it makes perfect sense.

Quote:

I'd like to see them put the OS on a separate flash "drive". Maybe have this built right into the mother board. Some place between 16 and 32 GB of storage. The magnetic drive would still be there for the user. I see this as a good trade off for the current state of art.

Quote:

Yes that is so.

Some other things:

WiMax

iPod port.

Alternatively to WiMax, a 3G port.

A Compact Flash AND SD card reader. Yes built right in thus covering most worthwhile cameras.

FM Radio Analog and Digital (why not, in some chip sets it is practically free). The idea is to keep in touch with local events. While I prefer video sources for this, it is mentioned because the hardware would not add a lot of cost.

Digital TV receiver. While not close to free like the above this is very doable in a corner of the mother board. But why you might ask. Simple, TV is still a valid way to get into contact with what is happening locally. Maybe not a good or quick as radio for breaking news but viable.

Updated temperature sensing. That is more components plus ambient conditions. It has never really made sense to me that the manufactures monitor key parts of the machine but not the air temperature entering the vents.

A wide voltage input DC charger. It is great and all that the 12 VDC power supply works but I would rather see a DC charger that handles a wide voltage range. AT least 12 to 24 volts nominal, but I'd really like to see 12 VDC to 48.

A couple of reasons: 1. Most automobiles are 12 VDC so that establishes the low end. 2. Most military vehicles, some truck, some boats and other large vehicles are 24 VDC systems, this establishes the middle. 3. 48 volts would cover the latest automobile standard (if it every happens) at the low end and Solar installations at the high.

Basically I want to be able to charge and operate the machine from any car, truck, boat, or low voltage solar installation without the need for special hardware. I see this a very important as we move forward in to the next decade. Apple can get a head start on wide voltage DC supplies and set market standards.

To tired to go, worked all night!

Dave