Apple releases Apple TV "Take 2" software update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 179
    Seriously, what good is that fancy tv stand with all those cables going everywhichway.....
  • Reply 22 of 179
    For those few movies that I really, really want in the best possible quality, you're absolutely right pixelcruncher.

...for the other 99.9%, downloaded 720p will be more than adequate
  • Reply 23 of 179
    Anyone know if this update also applies to front row on macs?
  • Reply 24 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by babasyzygy View Post

Except that the AppleTV now supports 1080p.

But it only upscales to 1080, right? Doesn't it still only support 720p content?
  • Reply 25 of 179
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Thank God

Now ATV owners can shutup about it.

That's easy for you to say- you haven't been waiting 8 months for it.
  • Reply 26 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

...for the other 99.9%, downloaded 720p will be more than adequate

99.9% of the movies you want to see are available from Apple? You my friend, have obviously found true happiness with your AppleTV. Enjoy!
  • Reply 27 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

AppleTV is great for missed programming. There are 3-4 times in the last year where I missed Tivoing a show. AppleTV makes a lot of sense there. Same with catching up on a series. AppleTV offers a much better viewing experience than sitting in front of your computer screen in those cases.

I disagee. When I DVR TV programming(Colbert Report) it looks exactly like when it was broadcast. When I pay Apple iTunes for Colbert report it actually looks worse. This is on a 42" HDTV with HDMI inputs.
  • Reply 28 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

99.9% of the movies you want to see are available from Apple? You my friend, have obviously found true happiness with your AppleTV. Enjoy!

I am looking forward to rent HD movies to spare the cost of a blu-ray disc before viewing it first. However I wish I had an option to buy HD movies as well.
  • Reply 29 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I disagee. When I DVR TV programming(Colbert Report) it looks exactly like when it was broadcast. When I pay Apple iTunes for Colbert report it actually looks worse. This is on a 42" HDTV with HDMI inputs.

I'm not sure what you disagree with - your response didn't contradict anything he said.
  • Reply 30 of 179
    Could someone who has the update check and see if, under the "music" menu, the Apple TV supports streaming Internet radio at long last? Much obliged!
  • Reply 31 of 179
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Is that a MBA drive attached to an <Insert Apple logo>TV?

is that even possible?

(apparently the one stacked under the <Insert Apple Logo>TV*)

*i seriously hate that product's name
  • Reply 32 of 179
    Was looking forward to being able to browse my movie collection by genre (and maybe search for a specific movie)...

Alas - Selecting a movie by genre only appears to be possible when you want to rent one. I guess Apple thinks most people will have no more than a handfull of movies on their system (I have about 400 now, having converted a large selection of my DVD collection to .mp4 and streaming this from a Mac mini)

Waiting on ATV Take3 . . . !

(and now after connection to my iTunes on the Mac mini the whole movie rental section seems to have disappeared completely...?)

• Reply 33 of 179
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by babasyzygy View Post

Except that the AppleTV now supports 1080p.

That's good, but just to make it clear, that is OUTPUT. Not the incoming file. It's not going to play a 1080p data stream. Many DVD players can also output 1080p, but the player only has 480p data to use, so it's just an upscale.

You probably can hack in 1080p file playback, but it probably won't do it without occasional, if not frequent video stuttering or dropped frames.
  • Reply 34 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm not sure what you disagree with - your response didn't contradict anything he said.

OMG- here we go again. I'm beginning to feel like Miss Sally in a kindergarten class.

He said"AppleTV is great for missed programming."

And I disagree. I'm saying I disagree because they quality is not a good as the original- if anything, it's worse. If it's a digital copy it should look the same as when recorded on a DVR. Also, when you buy a DVD of a TV show/series, if anything, it looks better than the originally broadcast not worse. I think the main reason is that Apple TV show downloads should be optimized for large HD TV's not iPods.
  • Reply 35 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjtooke View Post

Waiting on ATV Take3 . . . !

Take 3- Let's us buy HD!!! And gives us Safari!!!!
  • Reply 36 of 179
    Anyone has tested Dolby 5.1?
  • Reply 37 of 179
    Quote:

OMG- here we go again. I'm beginning to feel like Miss Sally in a kindergarten class.

He said"AppleTV is great for missed programming."

And I disagree. I'm saying I disagree because they quality is not a good as the original- if anything, it's worse. If it's a digital copy it should look the same as when recorded on a DVR. Also, when you buy a DVD of a TV show/series, if anything, it looks better than the originally broadcast not worse. I think the main reason is that Apple TV show downloads should be optimized for large HD TV's not iPods.

The quality issues are all well and good, but if you miss a TV show on wednesday night, catching that missed episode on DVD before the next epsiode a week later is not an option. It doesn't matter how good the quality is of some other alternative if you can't actually get the show to watch in a timely manner.

Considering that there are few if any alternative ways to catch a missed TV show the next day, using aTV and iTunes to watch on a TV seems like a pretty good option.
  • Reply 38 of 179
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

most of them movies have 5.1 dolby how is that worse then a dvd?

Because most DVDs have DTS 5.1, which has several times the bandwidth of Dolby 5.1. And <i>it's all about bandwidth</i>. This seems like a hard thing for some people to understand, but generally the more bandwidth you give something, the higher quality you get. iTMS HD rentals give their media streams about the same bandwidth as DVDs... so if you upconvert a DVD to 720p (or 1080i or 1080p or 2160p or 17200p.. the output resolution is irrelevent) you'll probably get similar results.
  • Reply 39 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The quality issues are all well and good, but if you miss a TV show on wednesday night, catching that missed episode on DVD before the next epsiode a week later is not an option. It doesn't matter how good the quality is of some other alternative if you can't actually get the show to watch in a timely manner.

Considering that there are few if any alternative ways to catch a missed TV show the next day, using aTV and iTunes to watch on a TV seems like a pretty good option.

'

Quality indeed does matter if you are a videophile which you obviously are not. Why did you buy an ATV? You should stick with a VCR- it does exactly what your looking for if quality is not an issue for you.

ATV was made for high-end equipment. Quality is exactly what it is all about.
  • Reply 40 of 179
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

'

Quality indeed does matter if you are a videofile which you obviously are not. Why did you buy an ATV? You should stick with a VCR- it does exactly what your looking for if quality is not an issue for you.

ATV was made for high-end equipment. Quality is exactly what it is all about.

I'm not a videofile either. Maybe I am a videophile.