23" ACD

to:

Quad 2.8Ghz Xeon

280gb 7200 rpm

1000gb 7200 rpm

Nvidia 8800 512mb

6gb fully buffered whatever ram

23" ACD

I use them both for gaming, graphic design work (large 300dpi+ images), and an assortment of other things.

Perhaps my expectations are set too high. :P

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 40
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

- Xidius

Or rather the applications you are using cannot run 4 cores at their full potential.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

The difference isn't as apparent to me. \

Going from:

17" MBP

2.16Ghz Coreduo

100gb 7200 rpm

ATI 9700 256mb

2gb ram

23" ACD

to:

Quad 2.8Ghz Xeon

280gb 7200 rpm

1000gb 7200 rpm

Nvidia 8800 512mb

6gb fully buffered whatever ram

23" ACD

I use them both for gaming, graphic design work (large 300dpi+ images), and an assortment of other things.

- Xidius

Really. How long ago did you get it?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Or rather the applications you are using cannot run 4 cores at their full potential.

For me that was true with Tiger but since upgrading to Leopard and CS3 it is much faster. I'm still using AfterEffects 7 though which is noticeably slower and can only access 3 gigs of the 8 gigs installed in my Mac Pro dual 3.0 xeon.

I also have a MBP 2.4 and whenever I have to open CS3 applications I notice how much slower it is than the Mac Pro. I think it is a combination of factors: HDD speed, only 3 gigs of ram and one less processor, to name a few.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I can see that. CS3 is a hog. I would expect that you'd see a benefit when working with complex vector images: they can be pretty sluggish.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I don't know... I'm not too impressed either. Yes CS3 is faster loading, yes video encodes a lot faster, but over all coming from a Sawtooth G4, upgraded to 1.4 Ghz with 1.5 GB ram, an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card, and running Tiger, to the new 2.8 8 core with 6GB ram, I expected to see huge gains in speed. It's a bit faster, it has room to grow, I just expected more
  • Reply 7 of 40
    I got screwed. I ordered mine with the Nvidia card a week after it was announced. At that time I stated it would take 3-5 weeks. My order status shows its going to ship by Feb 26. But at the end of Jan if I configured the exact same system it would say shipped within 2 weeks.

Since I placed my order way back when how come I'm getting later then people who ordered it after me?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chadsd View Post

I don't know... I'm not too impressed either. Yes CS3 is faster loading, yes video encodes a lot faster, but over all coming from a Sawtooth G4, upgraded to 1.4 Ghz with 1.5 GB ram, an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card, and running Tiger, to the new 2.8 8 core with 6GB ram, I expected to see huge gains in speed. It's a bit faster, it has room to grow, I just expected more

This smells like BS. There would be a substantial speed improvement, even in the Finder and iApps, when going from the upgraded Sawtooth to the Mac Pro. I know, because I've used both. That said, for 97% of users an iMac is more than fast enough to do anything they can dream.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    I don't see where you guys are coming from, I've played with some quad 2.66s enough to know they smoked the hell out of the dual 800 I had.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by labelexec View Post

I got screwed. I ordered mine with the Nvidia card a week after it was announced. At that time I stated it would take 3-5 weeks. My order status shows its going to ship by Feb 26. But at the end of Jan if I configured the exact same system it would say shipped within 2 weeks.

Since I placed my order way back when how come I'm getting later then people who ordered it after me?

Unlikely story. People file class actions for this kind of stuff (it has happened many times). Apple in particular used to accumulate some pretty silly class-action settlements in regard to early product "obsolescence" -- the claims were typically lesser than yours. They have become very wise in scheduling product announcements and distribution since these times.

I have a hard time believing this story of yours, especially since you could undoubtedly remedy it with a phone call, were it true.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Your expectations aren't too high, you just forgot to get a dual - 30" display. Desktop machines are useless to me without dual 30" displays. Seriously I'd rather be on my 15" macbook screen than a 23inch display, and usually use the 15" when I'm in the second office where there is only an 24" dell... 30" dual is the only way to go.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Your expectations aren't too high, you just forgot to get a dual - 30" display. Desktop machines are useless to me without dual 30" displays. Seriously I'd rather be on my 15" macbook screen than a 23inch display, and usually use the 15" when I'm in the second office where there is only an 24" dell... 30" dual is the only way to go.

And you think that having games run slower would make the computer feel faster? My issue wasn't with how the computer looked. Just that it didn't feel like it was running as fast as it SHOULD.

- Xidius
  • Reply 13 of 40

Mine ROCKS!
  • Reply 14 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think she wants to kiss you
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think she wants to kiss you

If that's actually his bird, then I salute him. There's always the possibility.

But I'll put a fiver on "no." I think I've seen that person before in fashion advertising, and if memory serves, she has been shacking up with Seal.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Heidi Klum is with Seal, that looks like Jessica Biel to me...
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Heidi Klum and Seal have been married for a a year or two now. That is Jessica Biel. It's my current desktop picture. I was trying to point out my "About this Mac" stats. My new Computer freaking screams!

• Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

Heidi Klum is with Seal, that looks like Jessica Biel to me...

I see you're right. At that range they have some similar features to the casual observer.

This thread has already stressed the limits of my knowledge of celebrity trivia.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

... My new Computer freaking screams!

Dude, you need to upgrade the monitor! You have yourself a Ferrari running on wheels and tires from a Prius!
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Why would a buy anything more expensive than a used 20" ACD when ACD's have not been updated in forever? Duh.. They have to be coming out with new ones soon.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Why would a buy anything more expensive than a used 20" ACD when ACD's have not been updated in forever? Duh.. They have to be coming out with new ones soon.

I'm more referring to the fact that it's 20" and there's just one of them. Whether it's an ACD or some other brand is less important.