Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update

Comments

• Reply 141 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

The Translucency option appears to be quite capricious. It appears on my Quad 2.66 Mac Pro but not on my Quad G5 nor on my new 3.2 Octocore Mac Pro. :??

And they all have 10.5.2 installed? I don't see how this is possible if they all have the latest Leoaprd updates.
  • Reply 142 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And they all have 10.5.2 installed? I don't see how this is possible if they all have the latest Leoaprd updates.

I don't either. Yes I updated all three of them from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 with the Combo Updater at the same time. It's a mystery. Can't turn off the translucency in neither the Quad G5 nor the new Octocore 3.2GHz Mac Pro. That third check box in the Desktop System Preference is simply not there.
  • Reply 143 of 197
    Quote:

I don't either. Yes I updated all three of them from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 with the Combo Updater at the same time. It's a mystery. Can't turn off the translucency in neither the Quad G5 nor the new Octocore 3.2GHz Mac Pro. That third check box in the Desktop System Preference is simply not there.

Very odd, have you tried doing the updates again?

I suggest posting this at the MacOSXHints forums for a more informed opinion and resolution.
  • Reply 144 of 197
    Quote:

Maybe this could help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...08021118162850
  • Reply 145 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skviki View Post

Maybe this could help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...08021118162850

Nice find, skviki and welcome to AI! I was scouring my system for the correct plist. I didn't think MacOSXHints would have a hint up already.
  • Reply 146 of 197
    Quote:

Nice find, skviki and welcome to AI! I was scouring my system for the correct plist. I didn't think MacOSXHints would have a hint up already.

Thanks! I'm not that new to the forum, I just seemed to forgotten my login details and did a fresh registration.

A few of my observations of the updates: I updated two silver iMac 24" at work today and both seem fine. I played a bit with mine and worked for the rest of the day and it seemed ok. I tried how scrolling through a list of numerous files in finder worked and it worked smoother than before although there is still room for improvement (Tiger was smoother). The two systems seemed stable. I was worried about Fontagent Pro 4 compatibility but everything is ok. On my personal Powerbook G4 the 10.5.2 update "broke" Fontexplorer X (the app was causing other apps to crash) but the update from Linotype came later today - so that problem is solved.
  • Reply 147 of 197
    Thanks for the advice there about the Combo update from apple.com

After installing the 10.5.2 update through Software Update on my PowerBook G4 I had terrible problems: everything slow, 3/4 of the apps crashing, not even starting, etc.

Then I reinstalled with the combo update (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...mboupdate.html) instead. Now everything's great, and like mentioned, 10.5.2 feels a bit faster.
  • Reply 148 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

After updating to 10.5.2 can't launch iSync anymore... Does anyone have this problem?

The same happens to me, Lenny... even after launching the repair procedure in Disk Utility.
  • Reply 149 of 197
    Hi Lenny, just download the 300-more MB Combo Update, launch it and... voilÃ*, iSync will work!
  • Reply 150 of 197
    May I suggest you to download and launch the 300-more MB Combo Update?

It really fixes a lot of random malfunctions caused by the automatic update via Apple Software Update: hanging iSync, for example. Crashing iCal, too.

Just give it a try.

This incoherence between Apple Software Update and Combo Updates happened again during the very last Tiger updates.
  • Reply 151 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luca Boccaccini View Post

May I suggest you to download and launch the 300-more MB Combo Update?

It really fixes a lot of random malfunctions caused by the automatic update via Apple Software Update: hanging iSync, for example. Crashing iCal, too.

Just give it a try.

This incoherence between Apple Software Update and Combo Updates happened again during the very last Tiger updates.

What do you mean by 300-more MB? The update was 341MB as it is.

BTW, I reinstalled iSync and now it works fine. Still don't know what the problem was...
  • Reply 152 of 197
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    I have been waiting for 10.5.2 to buy Leopard. I want to buy the retail Leopard DVD after Apple bumps it to 10.5.2. Does anyone know how long this might be, or how to find out?
  • Reply 153 of 197
    Quote:

After installing the Graphics update and doing a soft reboot from the desktop it no longer seems to be sluggish. I can't say it's faster than, but the UI feels 'as' fast as 10.5.1.

Will do another GeekBench and Xbench test.

With the graphics update, minimize to dock seems smoother on my 24" iMac. It was smooth with Tiger, then seemed choppy starting with Leopard, but is now smooth again.
  • Reply 154 of 197
    I'll second that...overall no noticeable problems for me so far...updates went smoothly on MBP 2.16 Core Duo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

With the graphics update, minimize to dock seems smoother on my 24" iMac. It was smooth with Tiger, then seemed choppy starting with Leopard, but is now smooth again.

• Reply 155 of 197
    I still have the problem that Help hangs. The symptons are

1. I am connected to a wfi networkg, but not loged on to the ISP and so have no IP address

2. Help go off to try to find updates/pages from the web, and fails/hangs

3. Sometimes Help opens a window on the right of the screen (where I last used it). Then suddencly it will start to open a smaller window on the left, and then not respond to any menu selection. Same happens if I use search

Oh Dear, now what's wrong?

[PS Leapard recently totally re-installed (Erase and install) and all software updates loaded...]
  • Reply 156 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Addresses issues in which some external drives are not recognized by Time Machine

Is this anything to do with the known AirPort Extreme issue? Does anyone know if this fixes it now? Or is it an ongoing issue?
  • Reply 157 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by werkable View Post

can anyone tell me if they are using QuarkXpress 6.5 ...on Leopard...after the new update...have you had any issues of the program taking a LONG time to open? Im sure all the Indesigners hate me already my boss likes Quark and I like my paycheck...after installing Leopard a few months ago all sorts of quirks came up.

Tell your boss to upgrade ! I have Quark 7.1 here, and it works like a charm.
  • Reply 158 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by werkable View Post

can anyone tell me if they are using QuarkXpress 6.5 ...on Leopard...after the new update...have you had any issues of the program taking a LONG time to open? Im sure all the Indesigners hate me already my boss likes Quark and I like my paycheck...after installing Leopard a few months ago all sorts of quirks came up.

You mean, "all sorts of quarks came up"

Indesign rules!!
  • Reply 159 of 197
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

This is one of my testers... I use it for surfing at home etc.

Had a relatively fresh install of 10.5.1. Restarted the laptop before updating. Did a software update via the software updater which included the latest QuickTime.

10.5.2 booted after install.

Checked Software updater and installed the Graphics updater...

Vwalla killed Laptop... Thats over dramatic but the screen is hosed. I hear the HD and the system is running I think, but not Screen.

I'll try and log in tonight after work.

(I just deleted the part of my post where I swear in big bold letters).

Downloaded the combo updater and hooked the laptop up to my G5 in target disc mode and reinstalled the update. Everything is cruzing nice now on the 867 G4 Powerbook.

My only thought about the initial install is if the powerbook went to sleep during the installation or something. (But I don't think that was the case). ((I also verified the disc using disc utilities from the G5 (10.5.1) while in firewire disc mode with no errors prior to the update.
  • Reply 160 of 197
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    After installing update I quickly tested all CS3 apps, Quark 6.5, and all Final Cut apps as well as iWork. No problems to report. No slowness, no issues of any sort. Lucky me!

(Mac Pro intel dual 3.0 xeons 8 gigs ram)

MacBook Pro still downloading update, will report later if any problems arise.

m