Mail and junk filter

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi

Does anyone know how the junk filter in Mail works ?

I know how get it WORKING I was wondering how it worked out if a message was junk.

I ask the question because it is working very well for me (getting about 99% right) but my junk folder is now massive.

If I delete the junk folders contents will I have to train junk again ?

I am under the impression that it compares suspect mail to the contents of the folder then decides what to do with the mail.

If this is not true and it has a prefs file or something some ware that it builds where is it so I can back it up just in case.

Thanks

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    No, that is not how it works...feel free to delete all of your junk.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    I second that. I delete the contents of my junk folder several times a week. No problem.

The junk filter is wonderful. It really, really works well.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    sorry to jump in

but do junk remember all junk mails that i pick in training mode? or do i have to set the criteria myself?

the former worked for me until one day, now no matter how i set the criteria, it never filters junks as it was, i.e. have to set criteria for exact keywords, etc
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The idea is that the junk mail filter "learns" what is junk by what you choose in traning mode. when you place it in auto or even custom mode, it remember the patterns it found in training mode. I would think that setting additional rules can make it more sure-fire too; I don't see how it would hurt.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It works amazingly well. Everyonce in a long while, I'll get a junk message that passes through, so I have to mark it as junk. But for the most part it gets it all. I love it and would never go to another mail program just because of this one feature.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Will it keep lerning even when not in training mode ?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by johnrp:

<strong>Will it keep lerning even when not in training mode ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not automatically, but it will learn if you manually mark a message (either junk or not junk). It's great!