Apple releases Apple TV "Take 2" software update

Comments

• Reply 101 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

So after all this HD rental compaining is no one gonna rent one and write a critical review to prove their point?

One person already said it looked nice in their thread. What we need is someone to take the HD out and check the bitrate.
  • Reply 102 of 179
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    I don't want to rent an HD movie tonight to see but the trailers on the HD section do not look HD so I assume they are just SD. It would be nice to have the option to watch an HD trailer. If they are indeed ATV's HD standard I will be pretty disappointed. Someone who has rented an HD tell me they are not please
  • Reply 103 of 179
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't want to rent an HD movie tonight to see but the trailers on the HD section do not look HD so I assume they are just SD. It would be nice to have the option to watch an HD trailer. If they are indeed ATV's HD standard I will be pretty disappointed. Someone who has rented an HD tell me they are not please

There is a section for HD trailers of movies in theaters. Why don't you check those out.
  • Reply 104 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

720p can deliver the goods on fairly large HDTV IMO.

It's not your opinion, it's reality that people seem to forget:

the human eye at a normal viewing distance can only start to actually see the difference from 720 to 1080 on screens bigger than 55 inches.

How many people have (will have) 60 inch screens in their homes that will actually benefit from 1080? Ridiculous IMHO.

• Reply 105 of 179
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Can you stream internet radio or video content from the internet to apple tv ?

I do not think so, but you can stream photos.
  • Reply 106 of 179
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There is a section for HD trailers of movies in theaters. Why don't you check those out.

OK, thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 107 of 179
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BocaBoy View Post

As I understand it, the problem is limited to Samsung TVs and is prevelant across all HDMI switches, even the one sold by Apple. Are you saying you have a Samsung and this switch has worked for you?

This is what I'd like to know too I have a Samsung TV and use an HDMI switch between my TW DVR, my PS3 and want to add an AppleTV to the mix. But of course don't want to pay $$$ for it if it won't work.

So from what you know, if my switch works with the Samsung TV then the AppleTV should work fine?
  • Reply 108 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

Can anybody identify the drive device beneath the aTV in the article's photos?

http://www.xtrememac.com/xtremehd/switcher/index.php
  • Reply 109 of 179
    BTW, when you're looking at a movie's description, pressing the UP button on your remote, displays the complete description.
  • Reply 110 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adjei

Can you stream internet radio or video content from the internet to apple tv ?

Yes you can. I've tried this for internet radio but not for video.

In iTunes create a playlist of your radio station. Sync that playlist to your AppleTV and then play play that playlist.
  • Reply 111 of 179
    Having just watched Pirates of the Caribbean HD, I can say I am very impressed by the picture quality. The SD rentals would have blockiness all over, and with the HD version it is much less noticeable. The movie is dark throughout, which gives the compression a little bit of toruble, but the bright shots look gorgeous for a couple gig rental. Movie was ready to play in about 3-4 minutes, at 2% (and pirates is 2.75 hrs long). Picture quality definitely exceeds anything Comcast puts out on their on demand. Not quite as good as say a sports HD broadcast on ESPN. Dolby digital sounded great, and the improved interface works like a charm. Haven't had time to test out streaming from multiple computers, since it doesn't look like you need to connect to them anymore (it is done automatically?), not sure how appletv will distinguish between them.

Once apple starts loading up on library titles, this thing is gunna take off.
  • Reply 112 of 179
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

My AppleID contains a space, but the on-screen keyboard for entering the AppleID doesn't offer space. The keyboard for the password does, but not the AppleID. So, no rentals for me.

Problem resolved by using the AppleID (with its spaces) obtained from synching with iTunes.
  • Reply 113 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Problem resolved by using the AppleID (with its spaces) obtained from synching with iTunes.

That is an oversight on their part. i would have also liked to have seen a @mac.com and @aol.com on the username screen.
  • Reply 114 of 179
    For those with Verizon FIOS, you can start watching an HD movie 20 seconds after ordering. Much better than I anticipated. I agree with those above . . . if Apple is able to load up on the titles and promote this half as well as the iPhone, AppleTV could become a monster.
  • Reply 115 of 179
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I hope they update Front Row to look like the new Apple TV. Maybe also adding the ability to rent movies directly from Front Row.
  • Reply 116 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You lucky @@//****

I live the UK and updated mine last night
  • Reply 117 of 179
    Hi Apple TV 2 owners,

Can someone please get me the new Start up movie in full HD quality. It must be residing somewhere in the Apple TV. Possibly somewhere in /System/Library/CoreServices/ of Apple TV

I had managed to get the earlier one in full resolution [1280 x 720]. Desperate to get this too...
  • Reply 118 of 179
    The Apple really needs bluetooth keyboard support, or let us use my iphone as a keyboard, for you tube and searching movie titles or songs it's easier to type there keyboard layout sucks on the apple tv.
  • Reply 119 of 179
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Sigh, the Apple TV is such an unholy mess.
  • Reply 120 of 179
    My parents love the screen saver. They leave it playing in the background - so that the pictures float up the screen.

Does this screen saver still exist in the new AppleTV?

If it doesn't, it'd be enough for them to not upgrade.....