10.5.2 causes severe system & application issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am SO confused.

First of all, if i quit any application after a minute or so of the computer running, my menubar disappears and i can no longer access the finder (they can be clicked but are only 'greyed' as if selecting from another application).

Second of all, after the computer has been running for a short while or after an application has quit and i attempt to open something from Spotlight (which still works, for some weird reason), i get an error taht says:

"You cannot open the application "(null)" because it may be damaged or incomplete."

That appears when trying to open any application, and it always says "null".

I noticed quicklookd unexpectedly quitting at one point, and usually after my menubar/finder lossage issue, the whole computer gets the SBOD and i'm forced to reboot.. only to deal with it all over again.

If i don't close the initial application (some random textedit file called "HP Communications" or any other application, it can run ok... for a while.

I tried repairing disk permissions through the disk utility, but the progress bar immediately jumped to 1/3 complete and just hung there with "about 1 minute remaining". the app isn't frozen and i can still cancel the repair, but it never finishes verifying or repairing permissions.

ANY idea what's going on here???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    You could start by describing your machine and any non-apple software installed...was there any issue during the installation process? Have you removed unnecessary system preferences and caches?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I too had/have some funky issues after taking the upgrade.

Rig = 24" Alu-iMac, 2.8ghz extreme, 4 gigs of RAM

#1 - EVERYTHING seemed sluggish. Any applications I ran took longer than ususal to come up...add 5-10 seconds on everything it previously was before the update.

#2 - iPhoto's first use post update, the application hung on the Loading screen. (left it go for 10 minutes). Did a force-quit on iPhoto, the crash report came up, tried to send to apple, the crash report never went through...maybe it was just busy. Had to cancel that. iPhoto never closed. It still had it's little light on the dock, couldn't launch, hitting force quit did absolutely nothing.

#3 - Rebooted machine to fix iPhoto. System hung completely upon shutdown. Screen stayed blue. Waited a good 5 minutes and it just stayed there. Did a hard shutdown by holding the power button. Brought it back up. Still seemed a little sluggish.

iPhoto came right up and loaded fully on the first try after the reboot. Problem solved there.

#4 - OSX would not see my external hard drive I use for Time Machine. My hard drive powers off unless it detects being plugged into the USB port. I could unplug it and plug it back into USB, it would power on like it realized it was connected, but then shut back off, and OSX would never detect it. Yet another reboot later would fix this.

I did some reading on other forums and people were recommending running Onyx to clean up system caches, etc. I downloaded, installed and ran Onyx. That made all the difference in the world in system speed, for whatever reason. I didn't think cache files and temp files would slow it down that significantly. The iMac is running like a champ again

Strange series of events, and I'm glad it's ironed out now....just thought I'd share my experience to see if anybody else had similar experiences or needed something to try.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The repairing permission appears to be locked up but is not. Mine took about 20 minutes. It still read 1 minute and appeared not to move. There were many lines of things that could not be repaired but also some that were repaired. I ran repair twice each time taking about 20 minutes. Each time with many unrepairable lines. I have had safari quit once since then. All my other machines have had no problems. Since I don't like problems I will be doing a clean install this weekend.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    As has been mentioned numerous times in other forums, permissions are rarely (if ever) the cause of system problems...repairing them is not likely to achieve anything...It's completely normal for permissions repair to take that long if you have lots of files...

As is usual with any system update some people appear to have problems...though many people are also reporting that they've had few if any issues with the upgrade, so I find the title of this forum to be pretty misleading. It certainly hasn't caused severe system or application issues with me.

My guess is (as reported above) a simple clearing of system preferences and caches will solve most people's severe issues...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

The repairing permission appears to be locked up but is not. Mine took about 20 minutes. It still read 1 minute and appeared not to move. There were many lines of things that could not be repaired but also some that were repaired. I ran repair twice each time taking about 20 minutes. Each time with many unrepairable lines. I have had safari quit once since then. All my other machines have had no problems. Since I don't like problems I will be doing a clean install this weekend.

• Reply 5 of 17
    I ran Cocktail which helped momentarily but then my Finder kept crashing whenever I attempted to Get Info or use the Column view. Running it again and only repairing permissions seemed to do the trick. It was really weird since prior to the repairing I couldn't even launch the trial version of Aperture 2.0 without it giving me a crashing error.

But it all works fine now! Thank god for a sane stacks implementation!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

As has been mentioned numerous times in other forums, permissions are rarely (if ever) the cause of system problems...repairing them is not likely to achieve anything...It's completely normal for permissions repair to take that long if you have lots of files...

I understand that, I was just concerned because of the fact that it immediately began at 1/3 progress - this seemed to be an error to me, but maybe i just didn't give it enough of a chance.

Quote:

As is usual with any system update some people appear to have problems...though many people are also reporting that they've had few if any issues with the upgrade, so I find the title of this forum to be pretty misleading. It certainly hasn't caused severe system or application issues with me.

I apologize for the way i titled this, i wrote it late in the morning while stressed out and phrased it wrong.

To clarify, this isn't even my computer. It's my roommate's computer (he's loaning it from someone else) - i had recommended the update to him and when it turned out badly, i made it my responsibility to fix it. MY computer's update went flawlessly

Quote:

My guess is (as reported above) a simple clearing of system preferences and caches will solve most people's severe issues...

Hopefully that's the case, however i'm not quite familiar with how to go about this, specifically which pref and cache files i should erase from where. Can anybody give me some advice with that?

Thanks for everyone's replies..
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Try re-ruuning the update but use the combo one as these have a good track record for fixing some issues.

I never go past them as they have always worked well for me.

Do you know if there are any third party system hacks or add-ons?

Was there any external devices hooked up at the time of updating? (Net connection is ok)

Is there any finder crash logs in either HD/Library/Logs or Home/Library/Logs if there are any could you please post as these may help with finding the cause.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    i redid the 10.5.2 combo install, and that fixed nothing.

Right now i'm leaving it to see if it'll repair any permissions, it's been about ten minutes so far with "less than 1 minute" remaining, so we'll see.

I can't access the finder right now, but once i can i'll put up any crash logs i can find.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I came across another application issue.

iChat was screwed up. I tried to add a new buddy, and the buddy would flash a couple times on my list and then disappear. I ended up using the Meebo web service to add the buddy. They wouldn't show up on my iChat buddy list. So I did the usual of deleting the .plist files so they could recreate. The new buddy showed up in my list finally, but iChat is extremely slow.

Sending a message, I finish typing and hit enter, and the chat box looks like it hangs for 5-10 seconds and then the message goes through. It doesn't do this all the time, but more often than not.

Then iChat just started crashing on me. I sent the reports to Apple. Maybe it will help.

It worked fine before the 10.5.2 upgrade.

I guess I'll be using Adium in the meantime, although the first time I ran that, it hung on me. Force quit and re-open and it was fine.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    The dock seems to be fucked up in .2 as well. It has freezing issues, right now it's stuck on mail, and the little bubble above it says mail, but the dock is still clickable to open up another app. Man they blew it with this update eh haha.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    One maybe silly question

Are you running any third party system add-ons/haxies of any kind even for different apps?

Some of these are known to be causing some wierd issues.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Ah well, I got tired of the instability and the other apps crashing. I don't know if it was just due or what.

Today I wiped the partition clean, re-installed everything fresh, took all the updates including the 10.5.2 combo....this thing is running perfectly. Everything works.

Time machine just makes such a move so quick and easy. I just restore everything I need (aside from applications that were fubar'd)....and we're rockin' and rollin'

The system is running perfectly post fresh install.

Maybe it's just better to do that after major updates?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    rush limbaugh has the same problem and was said to have made a direct plea to SJ for help it affected all 4 of his mac pro's

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-987...ml?tag=newsmap

http://blogs.computerworld.com/rush_...obs_fix_my_mac

and gets help

Story #1: Apple Corporate Finally Calls About Mac Trouble

RUSH: I have an announcement to make: Apple corporate called. Somebody from high up the corporate ladder at Apple Computer in California, out in Cupertino, called the office. When did you get the message? When did they call, late yesterday afternoon? All right, they called at nine o'clock this morning, very, very, very nice guy, put my IT guy in touch with them, working -- No, it was not Algore. Ha! No, Mr. Snerdley, it was not Algore. I'm not going to mention the gentleman's name because the Mac user community that hates me will start bombarding this guy. He's a west coast guy. He called about six a.m. out there and said, "I'm here now," so our IT guy is working with him. That's cool. Yes, it's official. It's not a hacker. It was official. Don't start gumming up the works. It was really true.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackarmstrong View Post

I am SO confused.

First of all, if i quit any application after a minute or so of the computer running, my menubar disappears and i can no longer access the finder (they can be clicked but are only 'greyed' as if selecting from another application).

Second of all, after the computer has been running for a short while or after an application has quit and i attempt to open something from Spotlight (which still works, for some weird reason), i get an error taht says:

"You cannot open the application "(null)" because it may be damaged or incomplete."

That appears when trying to open any application, and it always says "null".

I noticed quicklookd unexpectedly quitting at one point, and usually after my menubar/finder lossage issue, the whole computer gets the SBOD and i'm forced to reboot.. only to deal with it all over again.

If i don't close the initial application (some random textedit file called "HP Communications" or any other application, it can run ok... for a while.

I tried repairing disk permissions through the disk utility, but the progress bar immediately jumped to 1/3 complete and just hung there with "about 1 minute remaining". the app isn't frozen and i can still cancel the repair, but it never finishes verifying or repairing permissions.

ANY idea what's going on here???

I would say the installation is not complete. So you need to reinstall the update again if you can. If you cannot, most likely the OS has become unstable, You might need to reinstall the OS because there is some file missing.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I have had no issues with my install. /knock on wood
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I also had problems with the 10.5.2 update. I used System Update and lost my events and functionality with iCal. A closer inspection found that I had no iCal preference files. Nor did I have any after a reboot and several quits and starts of iCal. Downloaded and ran the 10.5.2 Combo Updater and iCal works properly now.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    That is just disk utility, it doesn't estimate the time until the last few minutes...you just have to leave it and it will finish. As for clearing of System prefs and caches, I think it's pretty harmless to go into /Library/Application Support and delete the entire Caches and Preferences folders, then restart. Bear in mind you will lose some system settings but they can be adjusted. It's only worth doing this if you have system problems as you describe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackarmstrong View Post

i redid the 10.5.2 combo install, and that fixed nothing.

Right now i'm leaving it to see if it'll repair any permissions, it's been about ten minutes so far with "less than 1 minute" remaining, so we'll see.

I can't access the finder right now, but once i can i'll put up any crash logs i can find.