Is is possible to use an iPhone (AT&T - US )as a pay-as-you-go phone in Ireland

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Is is possible to take my iPhone (AT&T - US ) to Ireland, purchase a pay-as-you-go phone from O2 while in Ireland, take the SIM card out of that phone and put it into my iPhone for the time that I am there and use it.

I understand I may or may not have all of the data functions, but all I really want to be able to do is send and receive calls and txt messages. I don't need to use the phone for email or any of the other data functions and the fact I will be on a different phone number is not a concern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wstites View Post

Is is possible to take my iPhone (AT&T - US ) to Ireland, purchase a pay-as-you-go phone from O2 while in Ireland, take the SIM card out of that phone and put it into my iPhone for the time that I am there and use it.

I understand I may or may not have all of the data functions, but all I really want to be able to do is send and receive calls and txt messages. I don't need to use the phone for email or any of the other data functions and the fact I will be on a different phone number is not a concern.

Yes it is possible but the phone has to be unlocked. I have a pay-as-you-go account. Actually this is how I activated my phone. I gave them an incorrect SSN. They said I did not qualify for a post paid subscription but offered me a prepaid account. I activated the phone for $54, and then let it expire.

I then hacked the phone to unlock it and jail break it. I am using my Elisa card currently but I easily switch out to my DNA, or Sonera, or MTC (Kuwait) cards quite easily. The key being that the phone is unlocked. If you are considering doing this, drop me a PM and I will point you in the direction to go.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Yes it is possible but the phone has to be unlocked. I have a pay-as-you-go account. Actually this is how I activated my phone. I gave them an incorrect SSN. They said I did not qualify for a post paid subscription but offered me a prepaid account. I activated the phone for $54, and then let it expire.

I then hacked the phone to unlock it and jail break it. I am using my Elisa card currently but I easily switch out to my DNA, or Sonera, or MTC (Kuwait) cards quite easily. The key being that the phone is unlocked. If you are considering doing this, drop me a PM and I will point you in the direction to go.

Do I still need to unlock the phone if I use O2 which is the official iPhone carrier in Ireland? I know the difference is the pay as you go piece, but shouldn't the phone work with their SIM cards?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Do I still need to unlock the phone if I use O2 which is the official iPhone carrier in Ireland? I know the difference is the pay as you go piece, but shouldn't the phone work with their SIM cards?

From my understanding and experience this is what happened when I tried to use my iPhone with a T-Mobile SIM card.

NOTHING!!!!!!!

Nothing happened. It would not work. I was told by T-Mobile that even though I had an iPhone, it would not work with the combination of US iPhone and Germany T-Mobile card. I explained that I had an unlocked iPhone, and was told that the phone knows T-Mobile cards, yada, yada, yada. So I was forced to put my T-Mobile SIM card into my Nokia (which worked perfectly), and my DNA card into the iPhone.

So I would guess that the situation is the same. Even though O2 is the official carrier in Ireland, an unlocked phone is necessary. I do not think a pag (Pay and Go) card will work. (My best guess)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Do I still need to unlock the phone if I use O2 which is the official iPhone carrier in Ireland? I

Quote:

. Even though O2 is the official carrier in Ireland, an unlocked phone is necessary. I do not think a pag (Pay and Go) card will work. (My best guess)

O2 is not the official carrier in Ireland. O2 is the official carrier in the UK. The iPhone has yet to be released in Ireland.

However, if you have an unlocked iPhone and a sim patch it will work perfectly in Ireland. I use pay and go with O2 Ireland. Don't use Edge though as it can be quite expensive on pay and go....use WI-Fi instead.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gartcork View Post

O2 is not the official carrier in Ireland. O2 is the official carrier in the UK. The iPhone has yet to be released in Ireland.

However, if you have an unlocked iPhone and a sim patch it will work perfectly in Ireland. I use pay and go with O2 Ireland. Don't use Edge though as it can be quite expensive on pay and go....use WI-Fi instead.

Thanks for clearing this up mate. I did not want to pass on the wrong info. I do know that even though I have an iPhone from AT&T, my T-Mobile card from Germany would not work. Strange.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

I do know that even though I have an iPhone from AT&T, my T-Mobile card from Germany would not work. Strange.

I had the same problem with '3' Network and Vodafone Ireland. I know that '3' uses a 3G sim card and is not backward compatible and I just bought the simcard from Vodafone so maybe the newer cards are also 3G. '3' use a UMTS network as opposed to a GSM network. The iPhone only supports GSM networks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gartcork View Post

I had the same problem with '3' Network and Vodafone Ireland. I know that '3' uses a 3G sim card and is not backward compatible and I just bought the simcard from Vodafone so maybe the newer cards are also 3G. '3' use a UMTS network as opposed to a GSM network. The iPhone only supports GSM networks.

Actually the card is not the problem. It is the operator that is the problem. I use a DNA, Sonera, Elisa card in my iPhone and they are all 3G/HSDPA capable. My T-Mobile card was capable as well, however because T-Mobile is a reseller of the iPhone, it has some info inside (speculation) that prevented it from working.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

You'll have to jailbreak and unlock it. You can buy an Irish SIM for €10 in Ireland. If you were going to go to the trouble of buying a phone here, then I'd recommend you buy NextSIM 2 before you arrive. Will make your unlocking process of whole lot easier.