Airport Extreme and Airport Express Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, here's the deal:

I'm trying to expand the range of my airport extreme network using an airport express. It works great for a few hours, then for whatever reason, the airport express just disappears. If I switch the channel on my Extreme and hit the update button, the Express reappears again in the Airport Utility. Are they SUPPOSED to be on different channels? If so, why doesn't the utility configure them that way?

My setup:

WDS mode - 802.11n(802.11b/g compatible) - both using channel 9 - Security WPA/WPA2 Personal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ch. 9 is the default for 99% of the devices out there, So, I would say try a diff ch, but keep it the same on both... If you are doing a network extender type thing, I think the CH has to be the same. Try this app, it will tell you all the networks in range AND the Ch. Pick an open one: iSumbler http://www.istumbler.net/
  • Reply 2 of 8
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    FWIW, the default channel for all Linksys 802.11g type routers is 6.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've come to the conclusion that the Airport Express is utter garbage. My sister has one and it behaves just as mine does. \
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Postulant,

In your first post you mentioned that you were extending your wireless network using an express. Did you do this by setting up the express with WDS? And did you use the same network name as your main basestation? If you did, your network in the Airport drop down menu will only show up once, by the network name. You will need an utility like iStumbler to see each separate basestation.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    I'm going to suggest you head over to Apple's own forums

http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=140

There's a couple of posters across there that are very good.

IMNSHO - the Airport Express is NOT utter garbage.

I think it's a configuration issue in your case.

Channel 11 works for me.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

I'm going to suggest you head over to Apple's own forums

http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=140

There's a couple of posters across there that are very good.

IMNSHO - the Airport Express is NOT utter garbage.

I think it's a configuration issue in your case.

Thanks Rob,

I'll see what they have to say. I really hope it's just a configuration/user error issue rather than a crappy product by Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Hell man, if I can configure them - anyone can !

I've been using two at home here for around 3 years.

Both extending the network. One also does Airtunes and the other for printing.

Both my wife and I use the network and then the kids get on as well ... if they can't break it then i say it's good.

The only thing that chokes a little (and not very often, maybe once every 3 weeks) is the printer, but I suspect it's usb flakiness ... the network connection remains, just the printer drops off. Normally a reboot of the printer gets it back. Occasionally we'll have to reboot the Express to get the printer back up.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Hell man, if I can configure them - anyone can !

I've been using two at home here for around 3 years.

Both extending the network. One also does Airtunes and the other for printing.

Both my wife and I use the network and then the kids get on as well ... if they can't break it then i say it's good.

The only thing that chokes a little (and not very often, maybe once every 3 weeks) is the printer, but I suspect it's usb flakiness ... the network connection remains, just the printer drops off. Normally a reboot of the printer gets it back. Occasionally we'll have to reboot the Express to get the printer back up.

Mine worked fine for about a month. Now the express drops off about 5 or 6 times a day, everyday. I'm certain that when Time Capsule is released, this Express will become attic trash, or maybe even a paper weight.