Android (gPhone OS) Photos... impressive!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I am shocked! This is very impressive!

I like what I see.

This is good, cuz a little kick in the pants can only make the iPhone even better!

http://gizmodo.com/356121/new-androi...vements-and-ui

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    In what way is it impressive? I'm not feelin' it.

I find it visually underwhelming. Less is not more, in this case.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I agree that a kick in the pants will only help the iphone... however, this is not the kick in the pants that I'm looking for, I agree with above, this is just not stunning. I just recently picked up my iphone, and i'm still amazed at how great it is, and how nice looking it is. I've been looking at them forever, I have an ipod touch (silly to have both I know) however, that does not disregard the fact that the iphone has just done things visually that no one has touched on yet. Google may have a good idea with android, but I feel something that is open source like it is will never have the quality that os x on the iphone has.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I agree that a kick in the pants will only help the iphone... however, this is not the kick in the pants that I'm looking for, I agree with above, this is just not stunning. I just recently picked up my iphone, and i'm still amazed at how great it is, and how nice looking it is. I've been looking at them forever, I have an ipod touch (silly to have both I know) however, that does not disregard the fact that the iphone has just done things visually that no one has touched on yet. Google may have a good idea with android, but I feel something that is open source like it is will never have the quality that os x on the iphone has.

did u guys bother to go to the link and look at ALL the photos? The interface actually looks nicer than the iPhones. It has alot of nice touches, which will probably only get better.

more pics:

• Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

did u guys bother to go to the link and look at ALL the photos? The interface actually looks nicer than the iPhones. It has alot of nice touches, which will probably only get better.

Yes, I did, and that's what I based my opinion on.

It's ugly.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Don't get hung up on the visuals. The underlying functionality is what's important. The UI can only improve, and it will.

We're seeing a very important new standardization in telephone devices developing in front of our eyes... mark my words, all phone manufacturers will end up stealing from Android developments or get steamrolled. iPhone was just the beginning.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Agree with Spam.

The iPhone raised the bar. No longer is it good enough to make and attractive phone that's shit to actually use. See Moto razor. i've got to see more than a few screen shots before I can conclude that a new phone is an iPhone 'killer'. I know some are really excited by the S/E Xperia. But that looks like total shit to me. Who needs 4 ways to interact with your phone? Isn't the touchscreen method good enough? But all the geeks are blown away by the tech specs.

That said, the Android phones look the most promising to me as far as nice usable smartphones. Mobile linux is probably the best backbone for a mobile phone besides mobile osx. I don't think the new win mobile is going to come close to mobile osx or android but time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't get hung up on the visuals. The underlying functionality is what's important. The UI can only improve, and it will.

We're seeing a very important new standardization in telephone devices developing in front of our eyes... mark my words, all phone manufacturers will end up stealing from Android developments or get steamrolled. iPhone was just the beginning.

Well, just want to clarify. The visuals are impressive, not stunning, but they are nice...I thought Android would be much worse, more plain, ugly and pixelated. It certainly looks far better than Windows Mobile or Blackberry OS to me. I think its a step in the right direction.

Definitely borrows from iPhone UI (or steals, rather)... but thats a good thing. It will only motivate Jobs&Co to innovate even further and more aggressively.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    it's okay. i'd hardly call it amazing. the ui shows the signs that it's designed by a company that doesn't specialize in ui's. the interface elements are too similar in tone thus there's not enough contrast to make the elements distinctive. it's better than nearly all other phones out there but i don't think it's close to an iphone interface honestly.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The deciding factor will be how it is to operate. The LG touch phones use resistive touch I think and they are nowhere near as nice as an iphone to use even though the interface looks ok.

If it works just as well, is cheaper, comes with a faster network than the iphone then there may be competition. But you still have to add in the ipod capability and I'd reckon the gphone will fall short there.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

This needed quoting.

I think it looks usable in the screenshots, for that matter. Touch targets are large enough, and you pretty much know what everything does without being previously familiar with the thing. What kind of *skin* the SDK ships with has no bearing on the final product.

Business features are currently iPhone's weakest area. Android-based phones could win on that without being equivalent on usability, they just need to be decent. They definitely don't need to be "pretty" or "cute". I prefer strict form-follows-function for my personal use, too. When you go austere enough, the thing doesn't suddenly look crap in a year or two. It lasts.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

When you go austere enough, the thing doesn't suddenly look crap in a year or two. It lasts.

How does the iPhone interface look 13 months later?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

How does the iPhone interface look 13 months later?

Just like Apple's OS, iPhone's UI will continue to set (and follow) design trends. I anticipate the iPhone of 5 years from now to look a bit different from today's.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Just like Apple's OS, iPhone's UI will continue to set (and follow) design trends. I anticipate the iPhone of 5 years from now to look a bit different from today's.

Different, yet the same. Much like Leopard. Or in just one word, better!