New Guy question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I bought my first Mac yesterday and I am already having issues. For whatever reason the unit shuts off at will and then re-boots. I have already had two call into apple and I am wondering if this is common. The OS was 10.5 and I have already upgraded to 10.5.2. Since the upgrade the issue has not happened, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Any insight is much appreciated.

Bill

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It wouldn't surprise me if that particular issue was one of the reasons for the 10.5.2 update!

In that case it would actually seem to work for you sofar, doesn't it?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Odd, and what a disappointing first impression for you!!

I'd take it back and demand a replacement. The people at the Apple Store tend to be quite accommodating.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    well, this morning it would not start up for me so i don't think the issue is resolved. i upgraded the ram when i bought it, that may be the issue. i did not buy it directly from apple, i bought it from macmall. apple does seem to be accommodating, so it may have to go back to them anyway. it is very frustrating. i hate to say it, bit this is the sort computer issue i have ever had.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I have been using Macs for a few years now and I've never experienced this. Seems very strange. Are you sure it wasn't a brief power out, or power surge?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    i tried 2 power outlets.

it happened 5 or 6 times before i downloaded 10.5.2.

i had an issue turning the machine on this morning, but it seems fine now. i am puzzled. i will keep a close watch on it. so far tonight i have been on it for 2 hours with no issues. this is the longest period of time so far, so i am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This is not good. I would work on getting it replaced. This problem existed in some Macs when the Intels first came out, and it may be an overheating problem, due to a misaligned or otherwise defective heat sink.

I would just see which one (MacMall or Apple) wants it back. It's not going to fix itself.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boxcar71 View Post

i upgraded the ram when i bought it, that may be the issue.

Have you tried to run it with the factory installed RAM?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    It should be ok. Because Apple's software is usually either works or not. Not like windows that may work for couple of days and then crashes..
  • Reply 9 of 10
    i did try the apple ram, thought i had it fixed, but i didn't.

on the 5th call to apple, they deemed my mac DOA due to a hardware issue. my machine crapped out while i was in the middle of reloading the os software with the tech on the phone.

apple totally took care of me by sending me a new unit once fed ex was in possession of the broken one. i only went 1 1/2 business days without a machine. i am glad apple took care of me and in the future i will buy straight through them and avoid using resellers. the tech guys at apple were top notch!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boxcar71 View Post

i did try the apple ram, thought i had it fixed, but i didn't.

on the 5th call to apple, they deemed my mac DOA due to a hardware issue. my machine crapped out while i was in the middle of reloading the os software with the tech on the phone.

apple totally took care of me by sending me a new unit once fed ex was in possession of the broken one. i only went 1 1/2 business days without a machine. i am glad apple took care of me and in the future i will buy straight through them and avoid using resellers. the tech guys at apple were top notch!

Oh shit yeah, I always buy through them - you're safer.