Microsoft bought the Sidekick! ZunePhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
WOW! Don't innovate, just purchase and claim it!

Sidekicks are SOOOOOO GHETTO. I'm glad M$ is gonna run em into the ground

Microsoft Acquires Danger, Inc (Sidekick)

Tuesday February 12, 2008 01:31 AM

In industry related news, Microsoft announced on Monday that they had acquired Sidekick marketed through T-Mobile.

Terms of the purchase were not disclosed. The founders of Danger previously worked at Apple as engineers before leaving to found the company. Some see this is a response to the Apple's recent success:

Tim Bajarin, president of Creative Strategies of Campbell, said the acquisition provides further evidence that Microsoft is mirroring the thinking of Apple, which has married software and hardware to make simple, fashionable consumer products like the iPod and iPhone.

"Sometime in the last two years Microsoft fundamentally woke up and realized that even though they're a software company, they had to use hardware to control their destiny"

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/m...kick-imminent/

http://www.electronista.com/articles...t.buys.danger/

M$ really sucks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

mirroring the thinking of Apple,

LOL. That's one way to phrase it. "Fire up the photocopiers" is funnier though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

LOL. That's one way to phrase it. "Fire up the photocopiers" is funnier though.

I loved that, especially from Macworld 06 (i think it was 06)

umm... so nobody cares at all? \ They would rather argue about the pros and cons of a 7-inch iPod Touch?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Crap this is scary. This and the Zune. People don't get it. I mean I'm actually surprised at how truly terrible the Zune is doing. But it's like the Xbox. Just wait. iPod/iPhone are in trouble. M$ doesn't play nice and doesn't play fair. I'm worried, especially now that I own AAPL and I want to get an iPhone sometime in the next year or two. I hope the lag time gives Apple enough time to stop being stupid and make the iPhone all it can be. Maybe they'll open it ALL the way up, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

I loved that, especially from Macworld 06 (i think it was 06)

umm... so nobody cares at all? \ They would rather argue about the pros and cons of a 7-inch iPod Touch?

Typical Microsoft. Everything they "create" looks as if it came from a committee, because it did. As a result, none of it sells.

They are left with trying to find another company that has something close enough to what Apple is doing so that they can hawk it as "innovation." It's pathetic.

Zune? Just another company's product rebranded. Apple's was actually designed by Apple. MS can't do that because once the committees get involved, it looks like shit and never gets off the ground with a coherent plan.

Apple's stuff is actually supervised by Jobs. So nothing that looks as if a committee bolted it together will ever get out the door. Jobs has the balls to say No, and he's usually right. MS's committees throw everything in there and it's a crappy mess.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Crap this is scary. This and the Zune. People don't get it. I mean I'm actually surprised at how truly terrible the Zune is doing. But it's like the Xbox. Just wait. iPod/iPhone are in trouble. M$ doesn't play nice and doesn't play fair. I'm worried, especially now that I own AAPL and I want to get an iPhone sometime in the next year or two. I hope the lag time gives Apple enough time to stop being stupid and make the iPhone all it can be. Maybe they'll open it ALL the way up, etc.

See the difference now is the consumer isn't stupid anymore, and the ones who don't know are being educated by others and the media. People are completely of aware of Apples presence and innovation. They have a strong brand image. People just don't want to justify buying crap anymroe because it is wasting money.

I have a huge holding in AAPL too, so don't worry. There might be some negative nancies around, but those same nancies told us there would never be an iPhone. History showed them, and history tends to repeat itself.

M$ got lucky with XBOX 360 because both Sony and Nintendo weren't in the game yet. They had over a year head start! Even with that look what happened, Nintendo is now the game console leader with the Wii. MSFT is stuffing the channels with 360s to try to look like they are keeping up.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'm surprised iTunes/QuickTime works on Windows still. You'd think by now with all the hardware attached to it, such as the iPod, iPhone, etc., that M$ would have made it "bad" to use and/or hard to install, with Windows, at least Vista. The iPod/iPhone has to be one of the things that ticks Bill and Steve off the most. It's just a huge cash cow for Apple that M$ could be having. I believe they really, really, really want to run the next generation of cell phones over at Redmond. Yes, I'm nervous. Yes, their Version 1.0 and even 2.0 will be a joke, like Zune. Nevertheless, I'm nervous. The only real solution is to split Microsoft up, or actually enforce the court orders placed upon them. Maybe this will happen when Obama is appoints a new head of the DOJ...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I'm surprised iTunes/QuickTime works on Windows still. You'd think by now with all the hardware attached to it, such as the iPod, iPhone, etc., that M$ would have made it "bad" to use and/or hard to install, with Windows, at least Vista. The iPod/iPhone has to be one of the things that ticks Bill and Steve off the most. It's just a huge cash cow for Apple that M$ could be having. I believe they really, really, really want to run the next generation of cell phones over at Redmond. Yes, I'm nervous. Yes, their Version 1.0 and even 2.0 will be a joke, like Zune. Nevertheless, I'm nervous. The only real solution is to split Microsoft up, or actually enforce the court orders placed upon them. Maybe this will happen when Obama is appoints a new head of the DOJ...

MS is a force to respect but their entry into smartphones doesn't necessarily spell doom for everyone else. See Google.

MS has yet to prove that they are capable of making attractive and reliable hardware. While the x box has been popular with gamers, it has been beset with problems since it was introduced. Will consumers tolerate a 30% failure rate with their smartphone? Obviously by purchasing a hand set maker they hope to avoid that problem but the jury is out on that issue in my mind.

One factor I see that may help Apple is MS's purchase of Yahoo. That will drain them of their cash and make it difficult them to just 'buy' their way into that market. They may have to gain market share in cell phones on the strength of their products. That will be good for everyone.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

MS is a force to respect but their entry into smartphones doesn't necessarily spell doom for everyone else. See Google.

MS has yet to prove that they are capable of making attractive and reliable hardware. While the x box has been popular with gamers, it has been beset with problems since it was introduced. Will consumers tolerate a 30% failure rate with their smartphone? Obviously by purchasing a hand set maker they hope to avoid that problem but the jury is out on that issue in my mind.

One factor I see that may help Apple is MS's purchase of Yahoo. That will drain them of their cash and make it difficult them to just 'buy' their way into that market. They may have to gain market share in cell phones on the strength of their products. That will be good for everyone.

Never said it was doom for anyone, but not a bad puchase on their part (M$). It will establish them more with teens, maybe boost the zune a bit.

I think however the only company it will spell doom for are MSFT and Danger themselves